• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where do neutral characters go when they die?

Carlsen Chris

Explorer
In FR, what sort of character doesn't pick some patron god, if only to avoid the WotF? What sort of loon actively denies the gods' very existence, what with them romping about Faerun every decade or so?

I'm curious, both about the OP's player's character, and about others.

Denial might take the form of denying their divinity. I.e., they are powerful beings but not gods. See: Mystara.

The way I figure it is that the Rilmani take the best souls from the N pile and give the rest to which ever Outer Plane is the weakest. That is pretty TN, you have an equal chance of ending up on a good plane or an evil one and a lawful one or a chaotic one. Of course, since a lot of those planes regard it as an honor to spend eternity on them, the N folks get the lowest end of the deal possible for anyone living on that plane. That being said, living in the slums of Mt. Celestia is probably nicer than a choice position in the torture chambers in Hell or the Abyss...

I think the official FR answer is you hang around being bored until you make a deal with a devil or annoy someone in power so they make a brick out of you. They probably pass the time with betting pools on how long militant atheists can go before they tell the local death god "you aren't the god of me" and get sent to the Wall.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
In my game, the great Karmic wheel, powered by the Divine Source and build by the Maker of Machines, traps ever soul, judges it, and forces it to be reborn in a form fitting for the deeds of its past life.

The Slugmen of the Yellow City believe that their form is the most exalted one, thus justifying their exalted position in the city's social hierarchy.

In my campaign, everyone goes to the god of death, unless they die at sea. You don't have to believe in him, and you don't have to share his alignment. He will be waiting patiently, to judge your sins.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
In my campaign,

Believe strongly, dedicate to something, or bargain/sell your soul to something, you go to the appropriate place.

Believe in nothing. you fade away, back into the life force of the planet. Perhaps to be reborn/reincarnated.

So being neutral doesn't guarantee you fade away, just makes it more likely. Obviously druids feel becoming one with the planet and life is great!

Remove ads