D&D (2024) Where should optional rules go and why?

Li Shenron

Legend
In theory, I would say that player characters options can go in the PHB, and more general game options to the DMG.

The alternative methods for generating ability scores are balanced against each other. Feats are balanced against ASI. Multiclassing is supposedly balanced with single-classing. Even when the DM allows them, not every PC will use them. It sounds OK for me to show them to the players.

I am less positive about stuff like encumbrance, using passive checks or group checks, playing on a grid... these are stuff that affects everyone at the table, they are not individual options. I think they would be best hidden in the DMG (while OTOH could let those couple of evil characters options go to the PHB).

Unfortunately, the PHB was published months before the DMG, so they probably didn't want to delay certain stuff, in addition to maybe just tying to meet gamers expectations.

Scribe

Legend
Optional rules should be DMG material.

Feats, should never have been optional.

Stuff that is actually player facing (classes, subclasses, feats, backgrounds, etc) should never be DMG, because that introduces a question of 'official' or 'legitimate' that just makes things annoying.

It does not matter much in 2023. The Players Hand Book and the Dungemasters Guide or just Game Book 1 and Game Book 2 is 2023.

Back in the Time Before Time only DMs read the DMG and all other books; and players only read the PH. There was a clear line between "books players may read" and "books players should not read". While DMs could always read anything. So, in the past you could put stuff in the DMG and some players would never know about it.

But in 2023, it's a bit pointless. Every gamer reads every book from cover to cover.

It does make some sense to randmly put optional rules where they might be used.....but also makes a lot more sense to have an Optional Rules chapter.

But in 2023, it's a bit pointless. Every gamer reads every book from cover to cover.
How do I reach the magical land where this is true? That is just a wild thing to claim. 34 years of experience says the opposite. Most DMs don't even read both "cover to cover".

Optional rules should be placed where they're relevant - i.e. combat-relevant ones in which are player-facing (and anything that faces both is player-facing) in the PHB combat chapter.

There should be an optional rules section in the DMG, but it should just point you to all the optional rules. If you collect them all there, they'll see vastly less use than they would if they were "in the wild" as it were.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Players don't read the Player's Handbook, and Dungeon Masters don't read the Dungeon Master's Guide, so optional rules should obviously be in the Player's Handbook.
I disagree. When optional rules are included in the player facing PHB it should be limited to an option where the DMG contains the more favorable option(s) like the 3.5 ability score generation stuff did orones that are neutral to the GM. The old gm's best friend is a good example of a neutral rule since there's no force needed to deploy it either way in any given situation. The 3.5 ability score generation methods are mostly neutral, but the PHB presenting only a less than optimal rule makes most of the DMG options gm friendly things that are easy for the GM to introduce... If those were all present in the PHB it would have ben a knockdown drag out brawl for the GM to even use the standard 25 point buy instead of the 32 point one over the drumbeat of "big damn heroes!". 2e had a similar split for a lot of stuff like vision rules

The 5e PHB/DMG very much gets this wrong where players are often presented with one of the most favorable options & the DMG has scaled back versions the GM can "nerf" their players with (ie rest & recovery).

The arrangement of information is important & when it comes to optional stuff it's sometimes best to break it across books.

Variant on rules that concern players should be in the PHB. Like those on resting.
i would see in the PHB a set of variant proposed to adapt the game to different style and ambiance. Gritty realism, low magic, hyper heroic…

Remove ads