Where's the American Fantasy RPG?

L. Frank Baum's Oz series established American Fantasy as a genre, and yet it hasn't had much influence on popular tabletop role-playing games despite several fantasy authors providing the inspiration for co-creator Gary Gygax's Dungeons & Dragons. Why not?
L. Frank Baum's Oz series established American Fantasy as a genre, and yet it hasn't had much influence on popular tabletop role-playing games despite several American fantasy authors providing the inspiration for co-creator Gary Gygax's Dungeons & Dragons. Why not?

fantasy-3536894_1280.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

American Fantasy Defined

As described in The Fantasy Tradition in American Literature, the tenets of American Fantasy include a contrast between real world struggles and a fantasy land (Kansas vs. Oz), the Garden of the World set in the midst of the Great American Desert (Oz), and pastoral qualities that encompass the heartland like corn fields, crows, wildcats, and field mice. Baum's Oz is different in character but similar in texture to American agrarianism.

There is technology too, always at the cusp of becoming ubiquitous, with objects taking on a life of their own. Baum was uneasy about the impact of technology on society: concerned about the impact of "flying machines", worried about what would happen to premature children in "incubators", and wary of slick-talking characters using gimmicks and puppetry (the titular Wizard of Oz). Judging by the abuse Baum heaps on an animated phonograph, he wasn't a fan of recorded music either.

As Brian Attebery puts it in The Fantasy Tradition:

"Oz is America made more fertile, more equitable, more companionable, and, because it is magic, more wonderful. What Dorothy finds beyond the Deadly Desert is another America with its potential fulfilled: its beasts speaking, its deserts blooming, and its people living in harmony."

Gygax and Dave Arneson were following a European tradition, itself descended from historical battles of interest in Chainmail, infused with their own American influences, such that little of Oz appears in D&D. At least not overtly.

Ozian Elements in Plain Sight

Jack Vance's influence on D&D is significant. From the "Vancian" spellcasting system to the Eye and Hand of Vecna, Vance's work permeates the game. Vance was a big fan of Baum's work and cited him as a major influence. One character recreates the Land of Oz in The Madman Theory (written by Vance under the pen name Ellery Queen), but Baum's influence goes beyond that work and appears in the Dying Earth series, as explained in Extant #13:

"...I speculated that the Phanfasms inspired the village of Somlod, as seen through the lost lenses of the demon Underheard (Cugel the Clever), and that Sirenese society, in The Moon Moth, was inspired by the Whimsies. Among the scarce commentators on Vance there seems little interest in the Baum influence, while influences which are minor or even nonexistent are often emphasized, such as Clark Ashton Smith."

Cugel, whose adventures take place in The Dying Earth setting, has more in common with the Wizard of Oz than Dorothy of course, and his adventures would go on to form the thief archetype in D&D, as per Gygax:

Of the other portions of the A/D&D game stemming from the writing of Jack Vance, the next most important one is the thief-class character. Using a blend of “Cugel the Clever” and Roger Zelazny’s “Shadowjack” for a benchmark, this archetype character class became what it was in original AD&D.

The Dying Earth wasn't a fantasy world, but a post-apocalyptic one set long after technology had fallen into decay. And that's a hint of where we can find Oz's influence.

Talking Animals, Weird Technology, and Untold Wonders

D&D has strayed from its cross-dimensional sci-fi roots, but one game has never wavered from its focus on a post-apocalyptic world filled with strange beasts, ancient technology, and hidden secrets: Gamma World.

The parallels between Gamma World and Oz (where animals can talk, characters can play robots, and humans are relics of another world), as filtered through Vance, finally gives Baum his due. If Baum was so influential on Vance, why hasn't there been more discussion of the parallels? The editor of Extant #13 explains:

"Given Vance’s own repeated and enthusiastic declarations regarding Baum, as well as the obvious parallels between Vance’s favorite Oz book (The Emerald City of Oz) and several of his own stories, I cannot rid myself of the suspicion that this lack of interest suggests an enthusiasm about certain subject matters and styles rather than an interest in Vance as such. I also suspect the Baum influence lacks appeal because he seems old fashioned, quaint and childish. The fashionable taint of the weird is absent."

This may be why Gamma World has struggled to find its audience like D&D has. Where D&D's tropes are so embedded in pop culture to be ubiquitous these days, Gamma World—like Oz—has alternately been treated as ludicrous, deadly serious, or just plain wacky ... the same criticisms leveled at Baum.

It seems we already have our American Fantasy RPG, it’s just a little “weirder” than we expected.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
You can blame the Space Opera for that, Star Wars and Star Trek are both Westerns in their structure but entirely different genre.
As is the cop who plays by his own rules, which Justified made explicit.

Like I said, this is the story Americans love to tell themselves.

Speaking of which, something I've said for years: Lonesome Dove works in any genre. McMurtry happened to write arguably the greatest Western of all time, but it takes almost no effort to turn it into a fantasy epic, a war remembrance, a science fiction story, a superhero tale, samurais, whatever. It's got amazing bones and plays off of not just Western archetypes, but Joseph Campbell stuff. Any DM who's ever stumped for a campaign idea: rip off Lonesome Dove and the last hurrah of great heroes of the past, bringing along the new generation with them through a world they increasingly don't know.

jedijon

Explorer
We’re reading Baum now? Somehow I doubt it. Quoth the raven—nevermore.

At least Edith Nesbit got there first.

Always interesting to take a walk down memory lane. I’ll tell you two tomes that really haven’t aged well: ‘The Adventures of Huck Finn’ and ‘The Kamasutra’.

Must we really lament that there’s not more of this stuff?

Ravenbrook

Explorer
In year 2000, a 10 year old might have a 70 year old grandparent who was born in year 1930. That grandparent might have a grandparent who was born in year 1870.

So close-knit American family hears family stories about the West, and can feel a personal connection to it, and relate to its sensibilities.

Moreover, the 10-year-olds grandparent can have experienced the surge of the Western genre before and after the 1950s.

But as generations move forward, it becomes more difficult to preserve earlier identities for future generations.

Meanwhile, the most immediate Wild West that we are dealing with today, is the global internet.
In my case it was because my Dad owned tons of Western novels as well as books by Edgard Rice Burroughs, so I basically grew up with this stuff too.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Fantasy
So "American Fantasy" is basically "weird stuff happening out in the cornfields"? It seems to me that it should more correctly be called "American Horror" of the Stephen King variety.
Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Horror, and Weird/Strange/Paranormal Fiction have heavy overlaps.

As they do with other "Pulp" fiction or "Genre" fiction, but even more so together.

Heck, this is literally how Marvel Comics became the juggernaut it is today: by taking the tropes of the genre stories in pulp fiction magazines and penny dreadful novels and porting them into their "Tales of Suspense" (Iron Man, Captain America), "Tales to Astonish" (Ant-Man, later also the Hulk) "Strange Tales" (Doctor Strange, Nick Fury), and "Amazing Fantasy" (Spider-Man).

You can't tease apart the genres completely. These were the stories the geeks and nerds of the day 180s-1950s were interested in (many of whom have already been mentioned here, like Conan, John Carter, Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers), and after the fall of the Pulp Magazines, comic books, fantasy & sci-fi novels, and the eventually the rise of massively popular genre films like Star Wars would carry on the mantle. Remember that Lucas himself wanted to make a film to pay homage not only to John Wayne and Akira Kurosawa, but also to the 1930s serialized films of Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers.

And today, the serialized film has cemented itself back into the American moviegoing mindset, with massive movie franchises churning out multiple intereconnected films a year, and streaming services delivering hour long episodes in batches (or in the case of Netflix, in binge-bundles) with no commercial interruptions. The pulp serial film has now come into your own home.

jasper

Rotten DM
Great call! Manly Wade Wellman's Silver John tales are woefully out-of-print. Fortunately my library had a dusty copy of The Old Gods Waken in storage. Definitely a solid example of American Fantasy. The Chained Coffin is a great descendant that manages to meld its Appalachian folk influences into a traditional fantasy setting.
I haven't read Silver John but I had to put John the Balladeer into my File 13 column. The written speech patterns got on my nerves.

Something that I feel hasn't been pointed out enough: a good fictional setting for a book and good fictional setting for a roleplaying game are not the same thing. I don't want to dive too deep into it this morning, but you need a particular kind of setting to make someone want to play in that setting. It needs a lot of detail and a lot of mystery and a lot of diversity to create the characters and adventures that make games fun. Oz is not that - it's too vague to serve as a foundation. A lot of other fictional settings are too closed - the world of a Wheel of Time doesn't leave enough unexplored to make for good gaming. The best examples I can think of for a setting where people really want to dive in further:

Middle-Earth
Hogwarts
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far, away,
and Space: the final frontier.

Star Wars is extremely American, containing all the tropes people are talking about when they try to define American Fantasy: immigrants, factions, Westerns, races, social mobility, personal faith, lone heroes, etc. I'd vote for Star Wars as the platonic ideal American Fantasy. Including space. Space is a big part of the American imagination, after all.

Hogwarts would have a major rpg if anyone could get the licence, and Middle-Earth not only has dedicated games but is the mother of the biggest rpg of them all. Star Wars is not far behind, though, with three major rpgs based on the setting, all of which are/were pretty big deals in their time.

Star Trek is tougher because keeping everyone involved and engaged in ship combat is a tough nut to crack, but many attempts have been made.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
you need a particular kind of setting to make someone want to play in that setting. It needs a lot of detail and a lot of mystery and a lot of diversity to create the characters and adventures that make games fun. Oz is not that - it's too vague to serve as a foundation.
The maps the Oz obsessives have made definitely argue otherwise. (I actually had this map in high school, which I guess makes me one of them.)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Hogwarts would have a major rpg if anyone could get the licence
I think JKR's star is rapidly falling among Harry Potter fans. And there's actually a slew of Hogwarts-like RPGs out or coming out now, including Kids on Brooms, which came out earlier this month and which has been written up several times on EN World.

Middle-Earth not only has dedicated games but is the mother of the biggest rpg of them all
For the record, Gygax strongly disagreed, including here at EN World, as I recall. I was skeptical about that until I started reading Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser (don't bother with the last few books, for the record) and it was genuinely shocking how much they are D&D, decades beforehand, to the point that Leiber, if he had wanted to be a jerk about it, could have likely had a good case against TSR.

Remove ads

Remove ads