Where's the American Fantasy RPG?

L. Frank Baum's Oz series established American Fantasy as a genre, and yet it hasn't had much influence on popular tabletop role-playing games despite several fantasy authors providing the inspiration for co-creator Gary Gygax's Dungeons & Dragons. Why not?

L. Frank Baum's Oz series established American Fantasy as a genre, and yet it hasn't had much influence on popular tabletop role-playing games despite several American fantasy authors providing the inspiration for co-creator Gary Gygax's Dungeons & Dragons. Why not?

fantasy-3536894_1280.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

American Fantasy Defined

As described in The Fantasy Tradition in American Literature, the tenets of American Fantasy include a contrast between real world struggles and a fantasy land (Kansas vs. Oz), the Garden of the World set in the midst of the Great American Desert (Oz), and pastoral qualities that encompass the heartland like corn fields, crows, wildcats, and field mice. Baum's Oz is different in character but similar in texture to American agrarianism.

There is technology too, always at the cusp of becoming ubiquitous, with objects taking on a life of their own. Baum was uneasy about the impact of technology on society: concerned about the impact of "flying machines", worried about what would happen to premature children in "incubators", and wary of slick-talking characters using gimmicks and puppetry (the titular Wizard of Oz). Judging by the abuse Baum heaps on an animated phonograph, he wasn't a fan of recorded music either.

As Brian Attebery puts it in The Fantasy Tradition:

"Oz is America made more fertile, more equitable, more companionable, and, because it is magic, more wonderful. What Dorothy finds beyond the Deadly Desert is another America with its potential fulfilled: its beasts speaking, its deserts blooming, and its people living in harmony."

Gygax and Dave Arneson were following a European tradition, itself descended from historical battles of interest in Chainmail, infused with their own American influences, such that little of Oz appears in D&D. At least not overtly.

Ozian Elements in Plain Sight

Jack Vance's influence on D&D is significant. From the "Vancian" spellcasting system to the Eye and Hand of Vecna, Vance's work permeates the game. Vance was a big fan of Baum's work and cited him as a major influence. One character recreates the Land of Oz in The Madman Theory (written by Vance under the pen name Ellery Queen), but Baum's influence goes beyond that work and appears in the Dying Earth series, as explained in Extant #13:

"...I speculated that the Phanfasms inspired the village of Somlod, as seen through the lost lenses of the demon Underheard (Cugel the Clever), and that Sirenese society, in The Moon Moth, was inspired by the Whimsies. Among the scarce commentators on Vance there seems little interest in the Baum influence, while influences which are minor or even nonexistent are often emphasized, such as Clark Ashton Smith."

Cugel, whose adventures take place in The Dying Earth setting, has more in common with the Wizard of Oz than Dorothy of course, and his adventures would go on to form the thief archetype in D&D, as per Gygax:

Of the other portions of the A/D&D game stemming from the writing of Jack Vance, the next most important one is the thief-class character. Using a blend of “Cugel the Clever” and Roger Zelazny’s “Shadowjack” for a benchmark, this archetype character class became what it was in original AD&D.

The Dying Earth wasn't a fantasy world, but a post-apocalyptic one set long after technology had fallen into decay. And that's a hint of where we can find Oz's influence.

Talking Animals, Weird Technology, and Untold Wonders

D&D has strayed from its cross-dimensional sci-fi roots, but one game has never wavered from its focus on a post-apocalyptic world filled with strange beasts, ancient technology, and hidden secrets: Gamma World.

The parallels between Gamma World and Oz (where animals can talk, characters can play robots, and humans are relics of another world), as filtered through Vance, finally gives Baum his due. If Baum was so influential on Vance, why hasn't there been more discussion of the parallels? The editor of Extant #13 explains:

"Given Vance’s own repeated and enthusiastic declarations regarding Baum, as well as the obvious parallels between Vance’s favorite Oz book (The Emerald City of Oz) and several of his own stories, I cannot rid myself of the suspicion that this lack of interest suggests an enthusiasm about certain subject matters and styles rather than an interest in Vance as such. I also suspect the Baum influence lacks appeal because he seems old fashioned, quaint and childish. The fashionable taint of the weird is absent."

This may be why Gamma World has struggled to find its audience like D&D has. Where D&D's tropes are so embedded in pop culture to be ubiquitous these days, Gamma World—like Oz—has alternately been treated as ludicrous, deadly serious, or just plain wacky ... the same criticisms leveled at Baum.

It seems we already have our American Fantasy RPG, it’s just a little “weirder” than we expected.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
...But why aren't superhero games more popular then?

Yeah, i can't figure that one out, either. No publisher/game has figured out how to cash in on the super-hero movie and tv craze of the past 20 years or so. Weird.

Part of the attraction of medieval-ish fantasy is that it's so removed from our own historical time and technology, yet near enough that actual physical structures and written records still exist for reference. It's a nice, malleable middle-ground of real and unreal.

Ace

Adventurer
Surprised no one's managed to make a Pokémon RPG a thing then :p

...But why aren't superhero games more popular then?

I've run Pokethulhu at least . It did not go over well.

As for Supers games. Many GM's are timorous when it comes to game balance and have trouble managing Batman adventures much less far more powerful supers. I have played and run in such games with some success but its challenging.

Also too many players end up rationally pragmatic which fails the buy in or ends of The Boys. Not enjoyable.

IMO most DM's/GM's can't and won't run high level/high powered play because PC power makes it extremely challenging and not much fun. The 3.5 D&D exemplar, Scry Buff Teleport -- there were ways to deal with this monster combo but the stress they put on world building were considerable.

Mostly D&D stops around 8th level these days which is that different than Name Level back in the 1e era. Its as far as most people can handle as far as the DM finds fun

And yes most games have high level /high power options, people like making high levels, they just don't enjoy playing them or running them. Again IMO.

Last edited:

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
What surprises me is, despite the prevalence of Urban Fantasy in tv and cinema, the RPG community seems resistant to Urban Fantasy, and prefers medieval-esque fantasy. Modern settings seem to struggle.

Umm, the huge popularity of Vampire the Masquerade and all it's subsequent spinoffs and editions seems to speak differently.
Here is a sample of popular speculative-fantasy-scifi shows during the 2010s decade.

Shows I am familiar with:

Sense8
Killjoys
Legion
Humans
DC Legends of Tomorrow
Shadowhunters
The Magicians
Doctor Who (favorite Smith)
Travelers
Orphan Black
Flash
The Tomorrow People
Altered Carbon
Limitless
Now Apocalypse
Being Human
Arrow
Doom Patrol
Incorporated
Titans
Dirk Gentlys Holistic Detective Agency
Cloak and Dagger
The Boys
Beyond
Batwoman
Midnight Texas
Agents of Shield
Almost Human
The Expanse
Twilight Zone
Krypton
Black Lightning
Star Trek: Discovery
The Orville
Alphas
Heroes / Heroes Reborn
Stranger Things
Kyle XY
Teen Wolf
The Adventures of Merlin
True Blood
Constantine
The Expanse
Warehouse 13 (magic item of the week)
The Umbrella Academy
What We Do in the Shadows
Siren
The Order
Wu Assassins
Into the Badlands
Timeless
Continuum
Charmed
Cleverman
Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
Smallville (havent watched but know of, plan to watch)
Supergirl
Daredevil
Luke Cage
Iron Fist
Jessica Jones
Lucky Man
The Gifted
Witcher
His Dark Materials
Carnival Row
Stargate Universe
Agent Carter
Inhumans
The Rook
Black Mirror
Eureka
Dracula 2020
Gotham
Star-Crossed
Once Upon a Time
Tell Me a Story
Mandalorian
Scorpion

And others ...

2020s are starting well

Brave New World
Tales from the Loop
October Faction
Upload
Star Trek: Picard
Westworld (favorite series 2)
Avenue 5

And others ...
Dude wth. Did you just come up with that list off the top of your head? Wow.

Undrave

Legend
I have tried to watch the Pokeman cartoon several times. ... I just dont get it.

No biggie. It's just the most profitable franchise of all times, it's just an oddity it's never been leveraged properly into an RPG, even as a non-liscenced clone. Like, BESM has a Monster Tamer class but it's not really enough to hold a full game.

I guess it doesn't help that the core gameplay is single player, and the side games that would make it work aren't as popular? (I could Pokémon Masters being a great basis for a table top RPG, since everybody has ONE partner active at once and you go about doing fights 3 on 3) It's part of why I don'T think a Pokémon MMO would work based on the core game principle.

I've seen fan games online but they spend WAY too much time adapting the video game's convoluted math and trying to adhere strictly to it... and then they try to shoehorn the six ability scores of D&D or something or include stuff like trainer on trainers combat rules... it's a mess of a world to adapt really.

Ace

Adventurer
No biggie. It's just the most profitable franchise of all times, it's just an oddity it's never been leveraged properly into an RPG, even as a non-liscenced clone. Like, BESM has a Monster Tamer class but it's not really enough to hold a full game.

I guess it doesn't help that the core gameplay is single player, and the side games that would make it work aren't as popular? (I could Pokémon Masters being a great basis for a table top RPG, since everybody has ONE partner active at once and you go about doing fights 3 on 3) It's part of why I don'T think a Pokémon MMO would work based on the core game principle.

I've seen fan games online but they spend WAY too much time adapting the video game's convoluted math and trying to adhere strictly to it... and then they try to shoehorn the six ability scores of D&D or something or include stuff like trainer on trainers combat rules... it's a mess of a world to adapt really.

There was a Pokethulhu satire version by S.John Ross . Its still free on Drivethru.

Retreater

Legend
Yeah, i can't figure that one out, either. No publisher/game has figured out how to cash in on the super-hero movie and tv craze of the past 20 years or so. Weird.
Really the best there is are generic role-playing systems that can be tweaked to support supers play: GURPS, Savage Worlds, FATE.
I think it's largely because the power level is cranked beyond Eleven. It's hard for a GM to present a challenge, and if you do, the math behind doing it will drive you crazy.

I feel the 5e design space for tiers 13-16 and 17-20 can focus on superhero genre compatibility.

Also, a "simple mage" with only three or so magic powers, feels like a superhero.

Remove ads

Remove ads