Where's the American Fantasy RPG?

L. Frank Baum's Oz series established American Fantasy as a genre, and yet it hasn't had much influence on popular tabletop role-playing games despite several fantasy authors providing the inspiration for co-creator Gary Gygax's Dungeons & Dragons. Why not?

L. Frank Baum's Oz series established American Fantasy as a genre, and yet it hasn't had much influence on popular tabletop role-playing games despite several American fantasy authors providing the inspiration for co-creator Gary Gygax's Dungeons & Dragons. Why not?

fantasy-3536894_1280.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

American Fantasy Defined

As described in The Fantasy Tradition in American Literature, the tenets of American Fantasy include a contrast between real world struggles and a fantasy land (Kansas vs. Oz), the Garden of the World set in the midst of the Great American Desert (Oz), and pastoral qualities that encompass the heartland like corn fields, crows, wildcats, and field mice. Baum's Oz is different in character but similar in texture to American agrarianism.

There is technology too, always at the cusp of becoming ubiquitous, with objects taking on a life of their own. Baum was uneasy about the impact of technology on society: concerned about the impact of "flying machines", worried about what would happen to premature children in "incubators", and wary of slick-talking characters using gimmicks and puppetry (the titular Wizard of Oz). Judging by the abuse Baum heaps on an animated phonograph, he wasn't a fan of recorded music either.

As Brian Attebery puts it in The Fantasy Tradition:

"Oz is America made more fertile, more equitable, more companionable, and, because it is magic, more wonderful. What Dorothy finds beyond the Deadly Desert is another America with its potential fulfilled: its beasts speaking, its deserts blooming, and its people living in harmony."

Gygax and Dave Arneson were following a European tradition, itself descended from historical battles of interest in Chainmail, infused with their own American influences, such that little of Oz appears in D&D. At least not overtly.

Ozian Elements in Plain Sight

Jack Vance's influence on D&D is significant. From the "Vancian" spellcasting system to the Eye and Hand of Vecna, Vance's work permeates the game. Vance was a big fan of Baum's work and cited him as a major influence. One character recreates the Land of Oz in The Madman Theory (written by Vance under the pen name Ellery Queen), but Baum's influence goes beyond that work and appears in the Dying Earth series, as explained in Extant #13:

"...I speculated that the Phanfasms inspired the village of Somlod, as seen through the lost lenses of the demon Underheard (Cugel the Clever), and that Sirenese society, in The Moon Moth, was inspired by the Whimsies. Among the scarce commentators on Vance there seems little interest in the Baum influence, while influences which are minor or even nonexistent are often emphasized, such as Clark Ashton Smith."

Cugel, whose adventures take place in The Dying Earth setting, has more in common with the Wizard of Oz than Dorothy of course, and his adventures would go on to form the thief archetype in D&D, as per Gygax:

Of the other portions of the A/D&D game stemming from the writing of Jack Vance, the next most important one is the thief-class character. Using a blend of “Cugel the Clever” and Roger Zelazny’s “Shadowjack” for a benchmark, this archetype character class became what it was in original AD&D.

The Dying Earth wasn't a fantasy world, but a post-apocalyptic one set long after technology had fallen into decay. And that's a hint of where we can find Oz's influence.

Talking Animals, Weird Technology, and Untold Wonders

D&D has strayed from its cross-dimensional sci-fi roots, but one game has never wavered from its focus on a post-apocalyptic world filled with strange beasts, ancient technology, and hidden secrets: Gamma World.

The parallels between Gamma World and Oz (where animals can talk, characters can play robots, and humans are relics of another world), as filtered through Vance, finally gives Baum his due. If Baum was so influential on Vance, why hasn't there been more discussion of the parallels? The editor of Extant #13 explains:

"Given Vance’s own repeated and enthusiastic declarations regarding Baum, as well as the obvious parallels between Vance’s favorite Oz book (The Emerald City of Oz) and several of his own stories, I cannot rid myself of the suspicion that this lack of interest suggests an enthusiasm about certain subject matters and styles rather than an interest in Vance as such. I also suspect the Baum influence lacks appeal because he seems old fashioned, quaint and childish. The fashionable taint of the weird is absent."

This may be why Gamma World has struggled to find its audience like D&D has. Where D&D's tropes are so embedded in pop culture to be ubiquitous these days, Gamma World—like Oz—has alternately been treated as ludicrous, deadly serious, or just plain wacky ... the same criticisms leveled at Baum.

It seems we already have our American Fantasy RPG, it’s just a little “weirder” than we expected.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
Urban Fantasy is a popular RPG genre - I'd say the World of Darkness games are much more urban Fantasy than Horror (in the way they're actually played and run by most), and they were the #2 games in popularity back when I first started RPing in the 90s.

Why none have managed to capture market share and imagination share in the same way since, despite it having become such a popular TV and novel genre, is a mystery to me, though. But I'd say RPGs actually beat them to the punch!

What surprises me is, despite the prevalence of Urban Fantasy in tv and cinema, the RPG community seems resistant to Urban Fantasy, and prefers medieval-esque fantasy. Modern settings seem to struggle.

In a single word: swords.

By and large, people want sword fights in their fantasy RPGs. Urban and modern and techno stuff are all dominated by ranged combat. In any Urban Fantasy RPG with even the slightest bit of simulation and tactical wargame left in it, ranged combat will quicly become the default. You need something to force melee back in mix. Star Wars did it with religion. Buffy did it with stakes and blood.

By and large, people want sword fights in their fantasy. Urban and modern and techno stuff are all dominated by ranged combat. In any Urban Fantasy RPG with even the slightest bit of simulation and tactical wargame left in it, ranged combat will quicly become the default. You need something to force melee back in mix. Star Wars did it with religion. Buffy did it with stakes and blood.

Now that you mention it, my interest in history wanes with the invention of gunpowder.

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker

By and large, people want sword fights in their fantasy. Urban and modern and techno stuff are all dominated by ranged combat. In any Urban Fantasy RPG with even the slightest bit of simulation and tactical wargame left in it, ranged combat will quicly become the default. You need something to force melee back in mix. Star Wars did it with religion. Buffy did it with stakes and blood.

It's pretty easy to figure out a way to make modern-day vampires, werewolves and mages immune to gunfire. ;) (Heck, you can even bring back melee without magic - Dune manages well enough with just technology - personal kinetic shielding)

A lot of Urban Fantasy is actually paranormal romance which is less appealing to gamers. Its great for TV as it lowers costs .

Also most of the shows don't have a lot of broad based appeal.

I used to run Angel and Buffy near constantly, they were super popular settings but Buffy hasn't been on TY in nearly twenty years. I can't even name what modern fantasy is popular now and I don't think anyone in my group has read any of the books I've have.

Also a lot of gaming plots and ideas don't fit the modern world very well. Its not a great place for adventure with all the surveillance and the Internet and such. This is why the many directors among them the Coen Brothers avoid very modern settings, Once cellphones much less smart phones are ubiquitous , adventure gets harder without a lot of GM fiat.

That said it has its appeal. Monster of the Week went over well with the group.

Regarding Modern setting. Hackers that disable or disguise surveillance cameras and smartphones, seems like a reasonable workaround, to allow characters to adventure away from scrutiny by authorities. Even an emp device could take out all digital equipment, albeit would definitely get official emergency response.

Also, if combats are nonlethal, the party can usually stay under the radar.

I guess, the issue is anonymity. Either a Modern setting needs a way to protect anonymity, or else embrace the lack of it, and make publicity a feature of the setting.

Angel and Buffy seems an excellent example of Urban Fantasy.

I can see how monster-of-the-week, like the show Supernatural, works well. Surveillance is less of an issue, when one goes to the monster, and those affected appreciate the help.

Last edited:

It's pretty easy to figure out a way to make modern-day vampires, werewolves and mages immune to gunfire. ;) (Heck, you can even bring back melee without magic - Dune manages well enough with just technology - personal kinetic shielding)
Vampires are already dead. Wearwolf are berserker-like, shaking off nonmagical weapons. Mages have force shields. Regeneration is also a method.

Sure, it's always possible to use a hack to force swords back in. But we'll always know its a hack. Also, hacks work better in a narrative than in a game.

By and large, people want sword fights in their fantasy RPGs. Urban and modern and techno stuff are all dominated by ranged combat. In any Urban Fantasy RPG with even the slightest bit of simulation and tactical wargame left in it, ranged combat will quicly become the default. You need something to force melee back in mix. Star Wars did it with religion. Buffy did it with stakes and blood.
In built-up areas, close combat, forces combatants within 30 feet of each other.

Also, gunfire will attract attention in urban environments.

If there is legal incentive to avoid lethal combat, melee becomes more normative.

That said, your point that Melee is key, for more dramatic upclose and personal combat, is probably a major people because of its visceral thrill.

Ace

Adventurer
Well in the last 10 years on TV i think these were popular:

Lucifier
True Blood
Grimm
Sleepy Hallow
Good Omens
American Gods

Only watched some of them. But these are what I could remember. Notice a lot of them is just one or two people doing a monster of the week.

I love the genre but I only watched Grimm more than once . My group (30-55 in age) hasn't seen any of these. I wonder of that is common enough to impact the genre.

Remove ads

Remove ads