Which board game would you buy, and why?

Which board game would you buy, and why?

• Alien: Fate of the Nostromo

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Gloomier

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Hive

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Jaws

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Once Upon a Time (OK, it's a card game)

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Princess Bride Adventure Book Game

Votes: 5 38.5%

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Once Upon a Time. I already own this. It’s a great card-based story-building game. Also great for random fairy-tale elements.

Princess Bride. If it’s by the same people who did Labyrinth and Dark Crystal, I’d pick this up in a heartbeat. Those two are fantastic.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
The Alien game is not good.

Edit (to be more informative): The game does not scale properly for different numbers of players. The alien has the potential to do stuff after each player turn. In a 2p game the alien moves once in between your turns. In a 4p get it moves three times.

So, frequently, you move somewhere safe and far away from the alien and before you get to go again it's gone all the way across the ship and attacked you.

Of your listed games I think Hive is generally considered the best "game" though its not got a popular IP attached.

Last edited:

Dioltach

Legend
Never played any of these, but I've played Nemesis, which is commonly held to be the perfect Alien boardgame. It has a very cinematic feel: even if you're eliminated early, you'll want to watch the rest of the game unfold. If only to see whether anyone makes it out alive.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
If you are soliciting ideas for games in general might I suggest Space Base.

It's great for gamers and non-gamers. I have played with people 8-80 years old. It's the only game everyone enjoyed. And it's not too expensive.

Remove ads