D&D General Which classes fill in this chart?

jgsugden

Legend
My shot, which is based not on the rules of any edition, but upon how I'd build it in a new edition.

ClassesFull CasterHalf-CasterNon-Caster
Skilled ClassesBardSkaldRogue
Devout ClassesClericPaladinPriest
Primal ClassesDruidRangerBarbarian
Psionic ClassesPsionPsychic WarriorMonk
Endowed ClassesSorcererWarlockBloodhunter
Studied ClassesWizardArtificerFighter

Skilled classes would be PCs that combine a lot of tricks, but sacrifice melee capability. They'd tend toward being able to do a lot of different things well, but haveing verynarrow focuses for the one thing they do incredibly well.

Devout classes are divine focused. Priests would be a concept that exists in my games (not as PCs, but could be converted to PCs). They Inspire and terrify others, using non-spells to deliver divine power. A lot of monsters have these types of abilities - It would essentally by an aura based PC class.

Primal classes would derive their power from life and deathitself (Positive Energy Plane, Negative Energy Plane) - aka the forces of nature.

Psionic classes generate their own power.

Endowed classes gain power from other sources.

Studied classes use intellect and training to hone themselves.

HammerMan

Legend
I find it funny that of all the "non casters" all have subclasses that give them atleast some spells and half of them have a subclass that makes them 1/3 casters

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
I find it funny that of all the "non casters" all have subclasses that give them atleast some spells and half of them have a subclass that makes them 1/3 casters

I remember this discussion about barbarians having 'magical' powers a while back...there are only so many things you can do that don't involve spells, and the 'high combat stats with no abilities' [HP, AC, hit bonus] slot is taken by the fighter.

I remember this discussion about barbarians having 'magical' powers a while back...there are only so many things you can do that don't involve spells, and the 'high combat stats with no abilities' [HP, AC, hit bonus] slot is taken by the fighter.
There's room for not-explicitly-magical special abilities with things like superiority dice and sneak attack and high-level skill stuff, but you need to be willing to say "high-level fighters are dang near superhuman at least." You have to let Rambo be, technically, a guy with a gun and no special powers.

A lot of players don't want to do that, though: if it's above what a normal-ish person can do, it must be magic.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I would potentially make the monk/soulknife the "non-caster" counterpart to the psion that focuses on the body. The psionic warrior would then be the half-caster that's between both.
Agreed. A Psionic "Half-Caster" with Psi Die as a main class feature and options for which Psionic Abilities you want to take to modify your Martial weapon attacks would be a cool class idea.

Xeviat

Hero
I would potentially make the monk/soulknife the "non-caster" counterpart to the psion that focuses on the body. The psionic warrior would then be the half-caster that's between both.
See, here's my reasoning. If you take the spell point progression, divide by 3 for 2 short rests per 1 long rest, and slightly massage the numbers to make them smooth, it's close to a 2/level progression. The monk's 1 per level progression fits in as a half caster. The 4 elements monk's spell progression also fits in as a half-caster.

The whole monk design could have been done more versatilely from the beginning, with a power progression, allowing for players to make more mundane monks or more supernatural monks based on their power choice, instead of having so many baked into their class progression.

I was almost done on my redesign, and then I got to work on Level Up and the Adept went in a different direction.

Remove ads