D&D 5E Which Classic Settings do you think WotC will publish?

Which (up to) Four Settings Do You Think WotC Will Publish (in 2021-24)?

• Blackmoor

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 35 24.3%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 88 61.1%
  • Forgotten Realms - Faerun only

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • Forgotten Realms - Other (beyond Faerun)

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Mystara (with or without Hollow World)

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 87 60.4%
  • Spelljammer

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • Planescape

Votes: 46 31.9%
  • Planescape/Spelljammer Hybrid (in some form or fashion)

Votes: 58 40.3%
  • Birthright

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Council of Wyrms

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Jakandor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ghostlight

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nentir Vale/Nerath ("Points of Light")

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Kara-Tur (as separate from FR)

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Other/None/I'm Being Difficult

Votes: 7 4.9%

I think this like Marvel Cinematic Universe with Phase 1, Phase 2, etc... and we could talk about "alpha" (the favorite and most popular) and beta (no so famous). All the alpha titles will come back, in this phase or in the next. Dragonlance is one of the favorites, but I doubt seriosly a reboot of the setting when there are too many novels. An option would be to publish an alternate timeline, like Ultimate and Earth 616 in Marvel, or Earth 1 and Earth 2 in DC. But this idea can alter radically the cosmology of all D&D multiverse.

I would bet future projects are too linked with the videogame industry, because they are the best way to promote the franchise, and the streaming series (Netflix, Disney+, HBO..). The bad new is the AAA titles need a lot of time and money. It is not easy not even for Amazon, a true megacorporation that has started with his own "the New World". The videogames also allow to alter the canon with different options, for example changing gender of the PCs. Dark Sun is perfect for a survival sandbox as Conan Exiles, but they will need a lot of graphic designers because the tribal-punk look is really special. A survival set in Jackandor shouldn't be worse than D&D games for mobiles.

Other idea is a parntership with Capcom for a Mystara with mash-up "isekais" from Capcom franchises. Capcom arcade was set in Mystara.

There will certainly be a lot of synergies for Wizards to tap into with the movie (see also the new Dragonlance novels and the Dragonlance setting...I hope). One of the reasons I also think a new FR campaign book is needed is that you need something that big to deal with revising the drow and orc cultures in the Realms.

We do need a Forgotten Realms Campaign Book, because outside of the Swordcoast, nothing is properly supported and waiting to do each region in turn at the current rate of once outside of the Swordcoast every 5 years are so will have us all dust and bones before they are done.

No your right now is the time to do it, two AAA games this year set in FR, MtG AFR set, the FR movie is being shot, the moment is swimming in synergies. FR's fan base is going to get bigger and now is the time to strike.

Now is the time to make that dwarven PC named Karl Hungus.

For a moment I read this as "Nautiloid Spermjammer cards."

The Fairy Dragon god is originally from Greyhawk, like a lot of minor FR deities.

Like I said overlap, FR rolled Greyhawk for its none human deities, just like later it rolled Greyhawk for its greatest archwizard and Demiliches, it rolled Planescape for its Planetouched, it rolled Real World Polytheism for its religions, it rolled Nerath for Tieflings, Devas, Ravenqueen, ect..., it rolled Spelljammer for Spelljammer for Spelljammers and Nautiliods, ect...

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
There will be new (to D&D) settings as well as classic settings. Probably about half and half, so one classic and one new per year would be a reasonable guess.
Their public statements are that THREE are coming out by end of 2022. The idea that they would only release a single classic over the ensuing years is laughable.

Parmandur

Book-Friend, he/him
Like I said overlap, FR rolled Greyhawk for its none human deities, just like later it rolled Greyhawk for its greatest archwizard and Demiliches, it rolled Planescape for its Planetouched, it rolled Real World Polytheism for its religions, it rolled Nerath for Tieflings, Devas, Ravenqueen, ect..., it rolled Spelljammer for Spelljammer for Spelljammers and Nautiliods, ect...
Point is, it's a Setting generic UA.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads