D&D 5E Which Classic Settings do you think WotC will publish?

Which (up to) Four Settings Do You Think WotC Will Publish (in 2021-24)?

• Blackmoor

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 35 24.3%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 88 61.1%
  • Forgotten Realms - Faerun only

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • Forgotten Realms - Other (beyond Faerun)

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Mystara (with or without Hollow World)

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 87 60.4%
  • Spelljammer

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • Planescape

Votes: 46 31.9%
  • Planescape/Spelljammer Hybrid (in some form or fashion)

Votes: 58 40.3%
  • Birthright

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Council of Wyrms

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Jakandor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ghostlight

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nentir Vale/Nerath ("Points of Light")

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Kara-Tur (as separate from FR)

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Other/None/I'm Being Difficult

Votes: 7 4.9%

Two tidbits and a Greyhawk borrowing, yes.

At least 2 tidbits, some GH shared lore, the fact that everything fits FR lore (if Fizban is a Planeswalker), which is more then you can say for the other settings. Greyhawk has no Dragonborn and Dragonlance has no Gem Dragons (and no none Draconian Dragonborn).

FR is the only setting that the whole UA can fit into and when you add the Dragon Options UA with Subclasses 5 UA, its the basic common structure of Player Options for Setting Books, 2 subclass, some races, a smattering of other player options including Supernatural Gifts (this time Dragon Themed) like Ravenloft got Dark Gifts and Theros got its own Supernatural Gifts. And yes the Dragon Gifts were labeled feats, but Gifts have been structured as Gifts and you can in fact take a feat instead of a gift in MOoT.

You add in the fact that we now know that AFR and one of its Commander Decks has strong Dragonic themes including solid Dragon tribal and Dragon Gods and special extra Dragon Alt Art and it just fits.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Well except Nentir Vale but it's not one of the four and has a LOT of overlap with Greyhawk because they appropriated a lot of classic Greyhawk materials for it.
I wasn't a 4E player -- bought the PHB, saw it wasn't for me, sold it immediately -- but a Nentir Vale book could have the Marshal base class, monsters with the bloodied condition, subclasses based on 4E classes, etc. I think there's plenty of content to support a setting and both player- and DM-facing book. I actually think it's firmly a top 5 choice for classic settings.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Ghostwalk could be added to the Shadowfell somewhere maybe, in some future book, but it likely won't get its own setting book.
The city of Manifest is explicitly on the Prime Material. It's built above an open gateway to the land of the dead, allowing both player characters to enter the (shockingly small) land of the dead to rescue dead comrades and for characters that die nearby to switch to undead classes, something that the Ravenloft Lineages system will make even easier.

I wasn't a 4E player -- bought the PHB, saw it wasn't for me, sold it immediately -- but a Nentir Vale book could have the Marshal base class, monsters with the bloodied condition, subclasses based on 4E classes, etc. I think there's plenty of content to submit a setting and both player- and DM-facing book. I actually think it's firmly a top 5 choice for classic settings.

I think FR and Wildemount ate Neraths lunch and they don't seem to ask about the setting anymore. Its firmly in the depths of the 3rd tier of settings sadly .

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
At the very least, I expect to see the Dalelands be the setting for the next major FR adventure book, with a mini-gazetteer along the lines that was given to Ten Towns for Rime.
I'm not a Forgotten Realms fan by any means, but I'm shocked that we haven't gone back to the Dalelands since, I believe, 3E.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads