Which 'foreign' languages have seen D&D?

D&D was first written in American English.
there is a distinct difference when you read English say from White Dwarf or the fiend folio conversions.

so add English to the list.

English is there. The Acaeum says that the British printings of the BECMI and 1e core rulebooks used the US spellings unaltered. Did the TSR UK-specific publications, such as Fiend Folio and B10: Night's Dark Terror, use British spellings?

I can contribute a few more languages: (snip)

Thanks! The Hungarian names for classes and spells would be useful in Mystara's quasi-Hungarian Koryszegy area of western Karameikos, and the City-State of Zvornik on the Savage Coast. Likewise Korean and Chinese "gamer's glossaries" would be useful for OA adventures. Just using the Chinese names for 'fireball' and 'fighter' (wushi) would give a campaign a non-European feel.

Vicente

Explorer
The following versions were translated to Spanish AFAIK:

- BECMI: by Dalmau Pla - Edit: seems we only got the Basic (red) box.
- AD&D 2e: by Ediciones Zinco
- DnD 3e: by Devir
- DnD 3.5: by Devir
- DnD 4e: by Devir

Borras translated several DnD games, but not sure which edition they are.

Regards!

Last edited:

Zeppo

Explorer
In Finland, the BECMI set (minus the Immortal rules) was translated in the late 1980s. A Finnish translation of the AD&D 2nd edition was also in the works, but the project was cancelled in the early 1990s when the publisher went under.

In 2012, I published a full translation of the 3.5 SRD on a website called Lohikäärmeen Luola ('Dragon's Den'); basically, it's the Finnish equivalent of the Hypertext d20SRD, except that it only contains the core rules.

edit: Oh, and since you're looking for "gamer's glossaries", here is the comprehensive Finnish-English glossary for Lohikäärmeen Luola.

Last edited:

In Finland, the BECMI set (minus the Immortal rules) was translated in the late 1980s. A Finnish translation of the AD&D 2nd edition was also in the works, but the project was cancelled in the early 1990s when the publisher went under.

In 2012, I published a full translation of the 3.5 SRD on a website called Lohikäärmeen Luola ('Dragon's Den'); basically, it's the Finnish equivalent of the Hypertext d20SRD, except that it only contains the core rules.

Thanks, I'll add that to the OP.

Oh, and since you're looking for "gamer's glossaries", here is the comprehensive Finnish-English glossary for Lohikäärmeen Luola.

That's cool. I only know of one official Finnish analogue in the D&D Worlds--Vaasa in the Forgotten Realms is likely to have been originally conceived as a "FR-Finland", though it came to be mixed with other fantastic motifs. (Well, and Hyperborea from Conan's Hyborian Age, since there were a few D&D Conan products.)

There's also Mielikki and Loviatar, and their planar realms, and the rest of the Finnish pantheon from the 1e Deities & Demigods.

In Mystara amateur works, there's the Kingdom of Kaarjala.

How flavorful for a Vaasan PC or Vaasan campaign to use these words:

taistelija "fighter"
paladiini "paladin"
samooja "ranger"
barbaari "barbarian"
velho "wizard"
taikuri "sorcerer"
pappi "cleric"
druidi "druid"
munkki "monk"

haltia "elf"
kääpiö "dwarf"
puolituinen "halfling"
maahinen "gnome"
puoliörkki "half-orc"

spell names:
tulipallo
"fireball"
taikavasama "magic missile"

luolasto "dungeon"
lohikäärme "dragon"

I'd like to see a Finnish "gamer glossary" included in a 5E Hyperborean Adventures culture book, which also included Estonian, Saami, perhaps some of the Finnic languages of inner Russia (Komi, Mari), some representative Siberian languages (Yakut and Chukchi), Ainu (from northern Japan), Aleut, and Inuit.

There'd be a whole chapter on "Finnish or Quasi-Finnish Adventures", with Vaasa as one campaign model, and a "Finnic Earth" as another, an 1890s "Gothic Finland" from Masque of the Red Death, and 5e "D&D Modern" Urban Arcana Finland as another.

"Finnic Earth" would be an entire D&D World which is actually shaped to be like how Finnic legend portrays the earth, as in the Kalevala, the Kalevipoeg, and the Mastorava.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases