D&D General Which Gods/Pantheons do you use in your D&D setting?

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
I'm doing a Greek game and the players guide mentioned direct intervention is possible even for trivial things.

Eg hoplites get in formation. You fireball them Aries might actually turn up and smack you down.

Or if you insult Hera, Aphrodite, Zeus etc or even plunder a temple.

Be careful where the gods are concerned.
you gotta love those Greek gods...
seriously.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I actually am not a huge fan of gods being a matter of faith in a fantasy setting. When talking about fantasy religions our impressions are greatly coloured by rather modern notions, and especially those related to Christianity. I don't think "having faith" really was a thing for many historical religions, it was not even really a thing for medieval Christians! These people lived in a world that was magical. (And by this I mean their understanding of the world.) Gods, power of rituals and prayers etc were not articles of faith for them, they were the facts of nature. So in that sense obviously existing gods that grant miracles if you perform the correct rituals is actually relatively historically accurate depiction of how the ancient people thought the world worked.
Well, “matter of faith” was perhaps a poor choice of words on my part. What I meant to express was that I usually prefer there to be a variety of different religions in my fantasy worlds, with no definitive canonical answer as to which, if any, is “right.” But surely the people within those worlds experience what they perceive to be direct evidence of their beliefs.

But, uh, yeah, recently I’ve had a growing interest in taking the opposite approach and having the gods be both definitively real and directly involved in the events of the campaign. I think either approach can work quite well, what’s dissatisfying is when the gods are definitively real but mostly uninvolved in mortal affairs.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I created a pantheon of 15 or so gods from which all pantheons are drawn from. So the the dwarf pantheon might have the soul-forger, the champion, the earthmother, and the thunderer as their gods whereas the local human pantheon might have all of them in the pantheon, but any that follow the tyrant, corruptor, or destroyer are outcasts/hidden cultists.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
I do like the elegance of grouping gods, something I like about the Eberron campaign. I may be doing something similar for Planejammer, mostly to help me keep all. these gods grouped, something like Gods of Law, Evil, Balance, Chaos, etc.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
In my Klassico, the gods are the gods but the worshippers curate the pantheons. Here are some examples.

Name: The White Way
Leader: Father Sky
Other Gods: Mother Earth, Mother Nature, Father Time, Lord Sun, Lady Moon, Lady Luck, the Warrior, The Smith,
Followers: Humans, Halflings

Name: The Green Faith
Leader: Mother Earth
Other Gods: Mother Nature, Queen Fey, Mistress Sea, Lady Moon, Lady Luck, Madam Magic
Followers: Humans, Elves, Halflings

Name: The Red Route
Leader: The Warrior
Other Gods: Lord Death, Madam Magic, Lady Luck, Mother Earth, the Smith
Followers: WARRIORS!!!

Name: The Blue Beat
Leader: Mistress Sea and the Captain
Other Gods: Lady Luck, The Sea Sons (Shark, Squid, Crab}
Followers: Sailors

Name: The Golden Truth
Leader: Goldenboy
Other Gods: NONE!
Followers: Monotheists

Zardnaar

Legend
watching a series on Prime on the Greek gods, damn if these gods don't make Succession look like a Saturday morning cartoon.

Yup. I know a Greek guy and I can't print his opinion on Theros. I did consult a bit with him n some ideas an geographic questions.

He hasn't been to Phokis though think it's a Greek Appalachia with a tourist resort.

Remove ads