D&D 5E Which Magic the Gathering setting would you want added officially to D&D?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Two things.

First, the Planeshift articles aren’t official, aren’t well playtested, and aren’t especially balanced. They’re also quite brief. So, I really don’t understand how folks see them as constituting coverage of those worlds. It’s like saying Dragonlance has been covered in 5e because it got a paragraph or two in a couple sidebars.

Secondly, what I’d want to see is a guide to the Planes, with chapters on a mix of the most popular Planes and the most oddball ones, along with rules or guidelines on Planeswalking, and a guide to world building and using mana as a world building concept.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Old TSR (original owners of D&D) ended up with a big financial issue because they split the fanbase into chunks with too many settings. It costs the same to produce a book (art, content, mechanic balancing, editting and layout, etc.) regardless if it is material that everyone can use or just a fraction of the fanbase.

So what I really hope they do is let us fans publish our works on DMsguild.

Dausuul

Legend
Since we are now on to a second page, I'll copy Urriak's request from the OP:

If you feel like Magic doesn't deserve another setting book, please take a deep breath and don't post anything. I'd prefer if this thread doesn't get bogged down in that debate, and I agree that other settings like Dragonlance, Greyhawk and Dark Sun get a book first. This is a "what if" question, nothing more.

Last edited:

Well...i know it isnt actually a setting in mtg as of yet but it clearly is a theoretical one.

The obyriths are implied to have come from a crystal sphere that they ruined. Or possibly even further away. Multiversal alien gods.

The eldrazi canonically have gods that we've never seen. I think the obyriths could fit the bill as being some of the higher parts of their pantheon.

Bring in small sections of that other crystal sphere. Make the eldrazi home planes (yes plural) be the fractured remnant of what happened when some obyrithian far planes melded with some prime planes (and assume it went anything but well) and make the obyriths be the tyranical yet in the end negligent gods who the majority of which left said universe behind not bothering to take responsibility for the wretchedness they wroght.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
First, the Planeshift articles aren’t official, aren’t well playtested, and aren’t especially balanced. They’re also quite brief. So, I really don’t understand how folks see them as constituting coverage of those worlds. It’s like saying Dragonlance has been covered in 5e because it got a paragraph or two in a couple sidebars.

The plane shift docs are intended as companions to the art books. By themselves they're nothing more than guides to races and a few monsters. With the art books, however, they're great invitations to adventuring.

And really how much play testing does a new race need particularly - aren't the design constraints are well established with the wide variety of official races in the PHB? And any monsters are generally rebadged MM creatures. Playtest and balance complaints seem unfounded?

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone

I will say that for some of the worlds, especially Amonkhet, the plane doesn't really have enough development within it to make a full book seem particularly likely. So I do appreciate that it's got a planeshift article.

I'll also say that it's possible (I won't say likely) the planeshifts are meant to tie the playbase down until something more official is made, much like the Wayfinder's Guide before the hardcover book.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I'll also say that it's possible (I won't say likely) the planeshifts are meant to tie the playbase down until something more official is made, much like the Wayfinder's Guide before the hardcover book.

I'd love to know how GGtR did... Wyatt says the Plane shift docs are so popular they led the way to the Ravnica book, but is the experiment done? Or is this the start of a line of cross-over books. To me it seems obvious that they should make a setting book to accompany a new Magic card block. Basically instead of doing the art books, make a D&D setting book that includes lots of lovely Magic artwork - two birds one stone.

And really the duplication in effort in world-building seems silly to me. The old D&D worlds were created before the art of world building really came of age (and there's an absolute ton of old material to work with, so it's not like more really needs to be written...). Time to turn the page and move forward in a co-ordinated fashion IMHO. :)

Remove ads