D&D 5E Which played-out D&D trope needs to die?

MGibster

Legend
My dwarves don't have a Scottish accent. Some people from Scotland have a dwarven accent. ;)
I tend to favor German accents for my dwarves. Or a really, rally bad Scandinavian accent.

The only place I've seen Scottish dwarves is Critical Role, I think. I like my dwarves with a northern English accent (that's how they're always portrayed in Warhammer computer games).
I've had players use bad Scottish accents for their dwarves. I think I saw this trend with Warcraft became popular.

I like a good trope. Sometimes I even like a bad trope. It depends on how it's done in the moment.
I'm of the opinion that most tropes are neither good nor bad. You can take an overused trope, like saving the princess, play it straight and still make a good story. You could subvert the trope and end up making a bad story. The trope itself usually isn't the problem.

MGibster

Legend
"This isn't really going to hurt you." I hate it when PCs use area effect weapons indiscriminately not caring if party members get caught in the kill zone. I'm not talking about PVP here. I'm talking about the player calculating the number of hit points the other PC has, any special abilities they have, and the hit points of the enemy and all members of the party being fine with a little friendly fire. It just takes me out of the game and I really, really hate it.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
"This isn't really going to hurt you." I hate it when PCs use area effect weapons indiscriminately not caring if party members get caught in the kill zone. I'm not talking about PVP here. I'm talking about the player calculating the number of hit points the other PC has, any special abilities they have, and the hit points of the enemy and all members of the party being fine with a little friendly fire. It just takes me out of the game and I really, really hate it.
For a 4e Dark Sun game, my Druid had taken a power that was supposed to make an enemy attack his allies. I realized that casting it on an ally and sending him amidst hostile minions would have a grenade-like effect. Plus, this kind of stunt is a very DS thing to do (looking out for Number One, we can heal you up again later).
At a convention session, I had the good sense to ask the player in question if I could 'beef up' his character before he went into battle. He said NO so I thought up something else to mess with our foes.

Remove ads