D&D General Which Previous Edition (poll; read OP)

Which previous edition

• OD&D

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • B/X

Votes: 15 8.0%
  • BECMI

Votes: 20 10.7%
  • AD&D1E

Votes: 14 7.5%
  • AD&D2E

Votes: 24 12.8%
  • 3.0 D&D

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 3.5 D&D (inc. PF1E)

Votes: 36 19.3%
  • 4E pre Essentials

Votes: 38 20.3%
  • 4E Essentials

Votes: 19 10.2%
  • None: I wouldn't play a previous edition campaign

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • Other: I'm a special snowflake

Votes: 8 4.3%

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Not really, nearly every conversation here on ENworld ends up a 4E discussion somehow.
Sure. But those discussions have a lot of negativity toward 4e. Large amounts of it in fact. The whole "Warlord quarantine" in ages past was at least in part because of the hostile slap-fights people would get into.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Sure. But those discussions have a lot of negativity toward 4e. Large amounts of it in fact. The whole "Warlord quarantine" in ages past was at least in part because of the hostile slap-fights people would get into.
I hear this, but its usually always referenced in the past. I think we have arrived at a point 4E can be mentioned in a positive or negative light without things being inflamed. YMMV.

BigZebra

Adventurer
Yeah very surprised by how the votes are cast.
I’m currently GM’ing at PF2 campaign but before that I DM’ed a minor 4e campaign and the players are stills talking about it and how awesome it was. Our Swordmage and Blackguard players loved their classes so much and way more than what 5e and especially PF2 supplies. Hence I choose 4e because that’s currently that plan.

4e is just plain fun. It’s D&D that doesn’t take itself too seriously. I still remember the first time the Swordmage player used his Dimensional Vortex power. I was like “you do WHAT to my Harkenworld reaver?” That’s 4e in a nutshell: “No way you are doing that! That’s so awesome”.

Retreater

Legend
I voted 4e pre-Essentials, but you could also include Essentials options in the theoretical game.
For me, every other game up there is pretty easy to put together. I could put together a campaign, find players, and run it (maybe with a retro clone).
4e, on the other hand, is a real challenge. It's like saying "would you rather get together with your friends and go to the neighborhood Applebee's" or "would you want to go with your old classmates to a 1984 Pizza Hut."

Reynard

Legend
It's funny how different people in the same environment can see totally different things.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
It's funny how different people in the same environment can see totally different things.
All I can say is if you even mention 4e, it is guaranteed someone will come along and say something equivalent to "oh, you mean the edition that FAILED because it was BAD?"

This is still true today. It's lessened, to be sure, but it happens pretty much without fail.

Is it any wonder why 4e fans are defensive?

Reynard

Legend
All I can say is if you even mention 4e, it is guaranteed someone will come along and say something equivalent to "oh, you mean the edition that FAILED because it was BAD?"

This is still true today. It's lessened, to be sure, but it happens pretty much without fail.

It must be getting better though because people bring up 4E a lot more than they used to even a year ago.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I really well and truly do not understand this obsession with marking "4e pre-Essentials" and "4e Essentials" as though they are two different editions.

They are not. They are literally exactly the same game, just with more options. It would be like saying "5e pre-Tasha's" and "5e Tasha's." That's the level of difference we're talking about. There is no sense, literally none whatsoever, in which the Essentials books are any more or less 4e than any other books published for it.

I know this is a silly thing to get so annoyed about, but it just really gets my goat.

Because they were sold that way?

4E had lots of supplements that required you to still own the PHB. Tashas is like one of those.

Essentials replaced the PHB, and the other books. They had major differences with the books they replaced, and actually removed options, the biggest being the removal of rituals.

Essentials was meant to be compatible with the earlier books. Thats the magic word, right? As long as 100+ pages of errata was also incorporated.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast

The real question is, how many people who voted 4e would rather play it than 5e?

Remove ads