D&D 5E Which three classic settings do you think WotC will publish in 2022-23? (Fixed)

Pick three and only three

• Planescape

Votes: 108 71.5%
  • Spelljammer

Votes: 54 35.8%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 90 59.6%
  • Forgotten Realms (Faerun)

Votes: 33 21.9%
  • Beyond Faerun (Al-Qadim, Kara-Tur, Maztica, etc)

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 78 51.7%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • Mystara

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Birthright

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Nentir Vale

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Council of Wyrms

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Ghostlight

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Blackmoor

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Pelinore

• Jakandor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dragon Fist

• Rokugan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other non-D&D setting (e.g. Gamma World, etc)

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Don't Care/Whatever

Votes: 3 2.0%

You know, and I'm not sure why we didn't collectively think of this, but Planescape could be considered a "returning" setting after Descent to Avernus. I mean, we're all including Greyhawk as a possibility after Saltmarsh, so why not Planescape in similar circumstances?

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
The one thing that makes me think an FR CS is more likely now is the MtG tie-in sets. That gives them a lot of recyclable art assets, so they could do it somewhat on the cheap.

I'd agree if the tie-ins explored areas beyond the Sword Coast... but they don't really.

I could only find two cards that are located outside of the Sword Coast (there are some Greyhawk cards too, but that also doesn't work). Westgate Regent and Inferno of the Star Mounts. They're nice pieces, but neither points to a clear usage of a new guide for all of Faerun. I'd say how little art there is for non-Sword Coast material is a point against Forgotten Realms getting a new book.

Especially how the next D&D MTG set will be Battle of Baldur's Gate. Even more Sword Coast!

Mercurius

Legend
While I don't think we can make definitive statements based on 100ish ENWorlders, I do think the basic "tiers" (ahem) offer a reasonably accurate sense of probabilities:

Most probable: Planescape (74 votes)
Quite probable: Dark Sun (56), Dragonlance (55)
In the running: Spelljammer (33), Forgotten Realms (24), Greyhawk (22)
Unlikely, but maybe...: Mystara (8), Beyond Faerun FR (7), Nentir Vale (6)
Not gonna happen: Everything else (0-3 votes)

I got to laugh, though: Pelinore received a vote.

I suppose the only surprise for me is that I would have thought more people expected to see FR, that it would be in the same category as DS and DL.

Aldarc

Legend
Mystara's main draw for a lot of people is the diversity of its cultures. Karameikos is Byzantium occupied Serbia. Classic setting but keeping up the adventures there might prove tricky in the long run.

Mystara is the exploration heavy setting, it kept adding new areas for players to settle, conquer and colonize. Cutting down the number of available nations hurts the overall theme.
I guess that I'll never get why setting fans are so insistent that everything about their pet setting needs to be covered to be worthwhile for either returning fans or newcomers to the setting.

Eh, I'll be honest, I find "traditional Faerun" beyond the Sword Coast unlikely, especially as how Ed Greenwood has been working with other creators to make books like the Border Kingdoms and the Zhentarim Keep book on the DMsGuild. The pattern with these new setting books has been to explore unique niches of D&D to push different themes and styles of play; I would say every book from Eberron onwards has been in that model. And Faerun is just "more traditional D&D." I don't think that's a bad thing (the primary game I DM is Forgotten Realms), but it doesn't match 5E's Setting design philosophy to publish the Faerun Setting Book.

Planescape, Dark Sun, and I believe Dragonlance do hit far more unique niches than Faerun does. Planescape/Dark Sun speak for themselves (you yourself think they're coming so I don't need to explain). But Dragonlance is more unique than Faerun due to it being a war story, akin to the War of the Ring; there are major forces on the move, and you the heroes need to save the day from the forces of evil taking over the world. A setting that is explicitly set in an epic conflict has not really been tackled in 5E, and is a better niche and more likely publish target than Faerun in my mind.

Additionally, the "setting revisit" that Ray mentioned was actually in 2020's "Future of D&D Panel." The revisit was not mentioned again this year. So I think whatever that was is actually shelved in development.
I'd agree if the tie-ins explored areas beyond the Sword Coast... but they don't really.

I could only find two cards that are located outside of the Sword Coast (there are some Greyhawk cards too, but that also doesn't work). Westgate Regent and Inferno of the Star Mounts. They're nice pieces, but neither points to a clear usage of a new guide for all of Faerun. I'd say how little art there is for non-Sword Coast material is a point against Forgotten Realms getting a new book.

Especially how the next D&D MTG set will be Battle of Baldur's Gate. Even more Sword Coast!

Alot of AFR's art is none regional at all, hence why it's being used in MP: MotM. Obviously so new art will need to be done for a new setting book, although given the new Intel, we are looking at a 2024 date, likely to tie into 5.5e (FR always gets a new setting book with a new edition), so they have plenty of time for new art or even more MtG sets.

Let me rephrase it then. "They're not likely to just put out license new Dragonlance fiction and not support it with a game product."

"They" aren't putting out DL.

Weis & Hickman's still-unreleased books are being published by Del Rey Books, a subsidiary of Penguin. Of course, the release date of July 29th came and went two months ago and the first two books were purportedly finished at the beginning of the year.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Fair enough on the time, but I stand by the rest. 6 years is still quite long ago, and the game has brought in a huge number of new people since then. The demographics have shifted quite a lot since then.

Many players are young enough these days that they were little kids or preteens 6 years ago.

Wizards is considering the desires of a host of players that weren’t even playing when that survey was taken, and they seem to want to surprise the player base.
I agree with that, and rightly so. But if Planescape could maintain Tier One popularity after 20 years of no product support, making a Planescape product updated and aimed at newer and older players has strong potential. Same with Dark Sun, although Dark Sun did at least get updated in 4E successfully. Ravenloft provide a good model: inspired by and respectful of what came before, but aware that the Prime audience is new players and not afraid to make updates and changes.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Additionally, the "setting revisit" that Ray mentioned was actually in 2020's "Future of D&D Panel." The revisit was not mentioned again this year. So I think whatever that was is actually shelved in development.
Winninger has clarified on Twitter that the revisit is a 2024 product, separate from the 2 new classic Ssttings in 2022 and 1 in 2023. The timing of 2024 suggests to me that the revisit may be Greyhawk, revisiting after Ghosts of Saltmarsh.

Winninger has clarified on Twitter that the revisit is a 2024 product, separate from the 2 new classic Ssttings in 2022 and 1 in 2023. The timing of 2024 suggests to me that the revisit may be Greyhawk, revisiting after Ghosts of Saltmarsh.
But wouldn't that make Planescape a "revisit" too, after Avernus?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases