• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which version of D&D or D&D-like will you be playing by the end of 2008 ?

Which version of D&D or D&D-like will you be playing by the end of 2008 ?

• I'll be playing 4E.

Votes: 185 39.4%
  • I'll be playing Pathfinder RPG.

Votes: 59 12.6%
  • I'll be playing D&D 3.5 / OGL.

Votes: 112 23.8%
  • I'll be playing an older version (ODD, basic, AD&D, AD&D2).

Votes: 23 4.9%
  • I'll be playing a D&D-like system (C&C, french dK, ...).

Votes: 14 3.0%
  • I'll be playing other non-D&D RPGs.

Votes: 10 2.1%
  • I choose several options here.

Votes: 67 14.3%

Holy Bovine

First Post
4E and heavily house ruled 3E.

Won;t be doing Pathfinder yet as the final version isn't out. If I did do a beta PF game it would be a one shot only.

Pinotage

Explorer
Ongoing 3.5e games in PbP, which will unlikely switch to Pathfinder. I'm tempted to run Keep of the Shadowfell as a side game just to give 4e a go as a DM. At present I'm definitely not switching, though.

Because you can play so many PbP games at a time, most will likely be 3.5e but I can see one a quarter or so of those being Pathfinder and/or 4e.

Pinotage

Darrin Drader

Explorer
It's looking likely that it will be Pathfinder for the fantasy stuff and True20 for the future stuff. I'll agree to 4E pickup games, but it is my intention to continue throwing my support behind open gaming systems.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I voted 3.5Ed. Depending upon who in our 2 groups is DMing at that time specified, that could also include something like Pathfinder (if its out then), a massively homebrewed meld of various 3.X games (me), or even continued play of 3Ed (several of the rest).

There are simply too many gaps & disliked changes in 4Ed right now for the groups I game in for them to even consider playing it. As the game ages and supps are added- indeed, some of the gaps I see are slated to be filled in known future releases- that may change, but for now and the forseeable future, its a 3.X world for us.

I've read the 4E books and played a couple of demo games.

Sadly, I won't be investing in 4E either as a player/GM or as a publisher.

For one, the GSL License Section 18 is the deal breaker. WoTC knows where they can stick that one. I can see similar concepts, happens often enough. But Storylines? Other content (i.e. Characters)? I think not. They want to walk a fine like under the GSL for being able to copyright infringe with our permission, and that's a business game I won't play.

Second, I just don't feel the new system is all that great. Pound for Pound, Star Wars Saga is better.

Third, I much prefer what I have seen of the Pathfinder RPG, but might just continue playing and supporting Green Ronin's True20, at the end of the day.

All in all, there is nothing from a gaming or business standpoint that makes me go "wow" for 4E.

Regards,

Festivus

First Post
Running 3.5 until the end of my Age of Worms, then I'll only play as a player in 3.5 or Pathfinder or something else. I'll DM 4E from now on.

Remove ads