• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Which Virtual Table Top are you using right now and what do you like best about it?

Which virtual table top (VTT) platforms have you used in your 5e games?

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
"An eighth of that" ... how did you calculate "an eighth"? RAM usage of each item? Would love to see your calcs ... because I kept a performance monitor up when configuring the table, and eliminating the existing items from the table does little. It was the character sheets for me, once I deleted those from the tabletop, it ran smoothly.
Cool your jets, my dude. We use D&D beyond for our character sheets, so that isn't the issue. I've been repeatedly stripping the table of a lot of objects to render and scripted tools that are neat, but don't get used often. The weird thing, though, is that I didn't have the sort of lag that's causing me to jump ship until (roughly) three months ago. Lately, we've been counting the "hang time" of our die rolls.

SirMoogle

Explorer
I'm a player in a campaign where the DM is using Foundry to keep track of everything campaign-related, including maps and character sheets. It's been a learning process for him; we've tried many modules, and most of them stick (like pinging and Better Rolls). I think that's the sticking point for Foundry: the customisability. There are some QoL modules like TidyCharacterSheets which make character sheets much easier to use, and some vanity modules like Combat Numbers which adds combat text to tokens when they get damaged or restore health.

For communications we're using Discord.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I'm a player in a campaign where the DM is using Foundry to keep track of everything campaign-related, including maps and character sheets. It's been a learning process for him; we've tried many modules, and most of them stick (like pinging and Better Rolls). I think that's the sticking point for Foundry: the customisability. There are some QoL modules like TidyCharacterSheets which make character sheets much easier to use, and some vanity modules like Combat Numbers which adds combat text to tokens when they get damaged or restore health.

For communications we're using Discord.
Foundry is a hobby in itself. It doesn't "just work" for any particular system out of the box. But if you are a tinkering type, you can make it what you want and need. And if you have a lot of time and technical aptitude, you can do some amazing things with it.

While I sing its praises, I don't recommend it for most 5e DMs. I just paid for a two-hour session to have a more experienced and hard-core user help me clean up and reselect modules so I can get things working the way I want them to for my 5e game. That's not a ringing endorsement for the platform for most people.

Yet I can't see myself moving to any other system. Foundry for tactical-heavy TTRPGS and Role for more TotM games.

SirMoogle

Explorer
Foundry is a hobby in itself. It doesn't "just work" for any particular system out of the box. But if you are a tinkering type, you can make it what you want and need. And if you have a lot of time and technical aptitude, you can do some amazing things with it.

While I sing its praises, I don't recommend it for most 5e DMs. I just paid for a two-hour session to have a more experienced and hard-core user help me clean up and reselect modules so I can get things working the way I want them to for my 5e game. That's not a ringing endorsement for the platform for most people.

Yet I can't see myself moving to any other system. Foundry for tactical-heavy TTRPGS and Role for more TotM games.
Yikes, that sucks. I definitely agree for the less technically inclined Foundry might not be the best fit. My DM does coding, so he probably has an easier time. He's trying to use it for other games like CoC or Lancer, but we haven't got there yet.

Nebulous

Legend

Yikes. Yeah, I am not technically minded. All the Roll20 coding stuff I have to borrow from other experienced coders, and even then I'm not great at importing it, but I can get Roll20 to do some cool stuff. It's taking me so long to get the hang of it I don't even want to think about the foundry learning curve, even though I know it does some awesome stuff.

Svanlaug

Villager
Cool your jets, my dude.
Jets not hot. Genuinely curious as to how you assess the memory load of your config from the one depicted in my pic, your system specs, etc, because I see so many different experiences from TTS users. I'm curious to learn what the TTS drivers are for those who have really smooth performance like me versus those who see degradation to the point of unplayability.

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
I'm about 4 sessions into my PF2E campaign on Foundry having moved from roll20 as looking around it seems Foundry has better support for PF2e, and I have to say I'm loving it. I was very VTT averse, but using this has really sparked my creativity, so much so I've been on a hardcore prep session, the likes of which I've not done in years. i find its layout and way of doing things just clicks with me, and I really don't feel like I've scratched the surface in terms of modules & macros.

I'd say the learning curve is a little steeper as you are coming from roll20 as compared to starting afresh as its a subtly different way of doing things which at first seems counter intuitive to how you do it roll20, but once you pick it up it seems logical (at least to me)

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Jets not hot. Genuinely curious as to how you assess the memory load of your config from the one depicted in my pic, your system specs, etc, because I see so many different experiences from TTS users. I'm curious to learn what the TTS drivers are for those who have really smooth performance like me versus those who see degradation to the point of unplayability.
Ah, sorry, I misread you then. It wasn't meant to be a serious assessment, just an off the cuff estimation.

I have an AMD FX-8320 eight core processor, 32 GB of RAM, an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with 3 GB RAM. Approximately 3 GB more is in use when TTS is up as opposed to when it isn't.

evilbob

Explorer
We like roll20 for character sheets, rolling, and maps, and use discord for voice. Roll20's voice features are straight-up awful. However their character sheets are great, and very flexible.

Nebulous

Legend
We like roll20 for character sheets, rolling, and maps, and use discord for voice. Roll20's voice features are straight-up awful. However their character sheets are great, and very flexible.
I don't know about other VTT, but I like going into the Roll20 character sheet for players and adding gifs and sound effects to their attacks. And they love it. It's easy to do. Well, the sound SFX isn't easy, but the gif is.

Remove ads