D&D 4E Who's still playing 4E

While I'm not a huge fan of 13th Age (I certainly don't dislike it, but there are any number of Story Now Heroic Fantasy systems I'd rather be running), I don't really see the similarities to 3.x outside of (a) the basic d20 chassis and (b) the fact that Tweet was involved in 3.x as well as being the co-creator (with 4e's Heinsoo). Obviously I agree with you regarding the lack of symmetry in class resource scheduling for and lack of keyword dependency (including Power Source).

But for my money, the experience of 3.x was all about:

a) Terrible Action Economy - Heavily favoring casters while very negatively impacting mobility (perpetuating battlefield stagnation) and melee characters (PCs and NPCs aliike)
b) LFQW...cubed
c) Horrendous combat budgeting (in many ways directly related to a and b)
d) Granular noncombat task resolution predicated on process-sim and featuring fiddly build mechanics and binary (non-dynamic) action resolution
e) Magic Item Economy and all the notorious impact that proliferated onto the rest of the system and setting as a result
f) An exceedingly narrow sweet spot of play
g) Related to (b), but needing a spot on its own, is the overwhelming, conflict-neutering power of Divinations, Conjurations, and Transmutations.

13th Age doesn't feature any of those and pushes in the opposite direction toward 4e (along with being heavily focused on fail forward and the story components of PCs - a la 4e)

Yes, I just think that it did so from a starting point that was more 3.0 than 4e. I mean, its like a do-over, what if we took 3.0 and made a more story-centric and narratively driven system from it, but without much reference to what 4e did. You could look at 13a's 'recoveries' as being somewhat akin to 4e's Healing Surges/Second Wind, but not VERY much like it, and weirdly more reminiscent in effect to 3.x with a modest number of healing items in play.

But TO ME the real heart of 4e's mechanical appeal IS the healing system, the action economy, and the regularized power-centric class designs, none of which is particularly evident in 13a. So they have some things in common in terms of goals, and start from a common design philosophy, but IMHO go in quite different directions with it.

You're right: That is both insightful and sad.

I think it's fair to conclude that the D&D fan base is dominated by nostalgia both when it comes to rules and to adventures. No wonder 5E seems to be succeeding!
And this is why I've called 5e the 'Tombstone of D&D', because where do you go from the point where you threw up your hands and gave in to "D&D is just all about nostalgia"? It stops being a really living growing game in essence. So, while WotC has captured a bunch of sales, they've entirely given up any claim to being thought leaders in the RPG market space. People have wondered at the market forces behind the surge in smaller RPGs, fingered Kickstarter, OGL, etc, but the real core of it is, D&D is rather intellectually dead. I mean, you could hack on 5e, and that's all fine and good, but its not much different really from hacking on 4e, or 3e, or whatever. Its hard to see where there's room for WotC to come back with anything new. Frankly do they even have the intellectual capital left on board there to DO much? It sure doesn't seem like you'd want to be working for WotC if you want to innovate in RPGs!

I'll add something to the conversation later. Just chiming in to say it's nice to see several of my favorite commenters all posting on one page (a few making brief returns!)!

Imaro

Legend
And this is why I've called 5e the 'Tombstone of D&D', because where do you go from the point where you threw up your hands and gave in to "D&D is just all about nostalgia"? It stops being a really living growing game in essence. So, while WotC has captured a bunch of sales, they've entirely given up any claim to being thought leaders in the RPG market space. People have wondered at the market forces behind the surge in smaller RPGs, fingered Kickstarter, OGL, etc, but the real core of it is, D&D is rather intellectually dead. I mean, you could hack on 5e, and that's all fine and good, but its not much different really from hacking on 4e, or 3e, or whatever. Its hard to see where there's room for WotC to come back with anything new. Frankly do they even have the intellectual capital left on board there to DO much? It sure doesn't seem like you'd want to be working for WotC if you want to innovate in RPGs!

I don't see how streamlining to use the advantage and disadvantage mechanic, becoming more casual friendly with AP and short adventure collections, slowing down the treadmill of rules supplements, using bounded accuracy, and so on aren't innovations... Maybe not the innovations you want but they are still innovative compared to previous editions.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't see how streamlining to use the advantage and disadvantage mechanic, becoming more casual friendly with AP and short adventure collections, slowing down the treadmill of rules supplements, using bounded accuracy, and so on aren't innovations... Maybe not the innovations you want but they are still innovative compared to previous editions.

The whole false narrative of "Progress" infects the 4E Grognard rhetoric, as much ad older ed Grognard rhetoric is rife with silly "Decline" narratives. 4E is different, doesn't mean the differences were "advancements" anymore than it means they were badwrongfun: just different, is all. There isn't some ideal future towards which D&D is working, the rules are tools for peoples games. Some like certain rules, others prefer different rules.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Just chiming in to say it's nice to see several of my favorite commenters all posting on one page (a few making brief returns!)!
Indeed. I've learned that there are some conversations on these boards that are simply not worth joining, and 4e-centric conversations that are either CONSTRUCTIVE, or friendly, or both, are often in short supply. I have no wish to engage trolls and haters; there are better things to do with my time. In other words, nice to see you too ;)

The whole false narrative of "Progress" infects the 4E Grognard rhetoric, as much ad older ed Grognard rhetoric is rife with silly "Decline" narratives. 4E is different, doesn't mean the differences were "advancements" anymore than it means they were badwrongfun: just different, is all. There isn't some ideal future towards which D&D is working, the rules are tools for peoples games. Some like certain rules, others prefer different rules.

I don't think that the words 'progress', 'decline', or 'advancements' appear anywhere in my post, nor is there any implication of badwrongfun. Games do clearly evolve with the times though. And no I don't particularly see anything like the number of innovations in 5e that Ilmaro does. (Dis)advantage can be reasonably considered mildly innovative, at least for D&D. 5e is nowhere near as casual friendly as say Basic D&D, and I guess I'd argue even as 4e is for initiating low-level play. In other respects too it seems more to harken back to 1e perhaps than anything else, with less supplements. I won't even tread into the waters of 'bounded accuracy', but even if we just call it given that 5e's numbers progress more slowly (which really ISN'T clearly the case, but) that seems like a pretty miserly 'innovation'. Anyway, I don't think you can dismiss my statement as '4e Grognard rhetoric' so easily, but I expect we're veering off the topic here anyway...

Raith5

Adventurer

I agree that the idea of innovations are subjective - but isnt it the case that the innovations of 5e are designed to replicate the feelings of previous editions rather than create a new experience and playstyle (or wider set of playstyles) . I feel they have been very effective in doing this - but I dont feel I am travelling (or have the capacity to travel) through new territory with 5e.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I still think of 13a as more of a 3.5 spin-off than a 4e one. The classes are just not much like 4e classes and the absence of the power concept makes a huge difference.
And, of course, it's an OGL product.

Yes, I just think that it did so from a starting point that was more 3.0 than 4e. I mean, its like a do-over, what if we took 3.0 and made a more story-centric and narratively driven system from it, but without much reference to what 4e did. You could look at 13a's 'recoveries' as being somewhat akin to 4e's Healing Surges/Second Wind, but not VERY much like it
Certainly more like it than HD in 5e.

IMHO, 13A is very much like 5e. Not in the particulars so much as in the goals it delivers on. It's TotM by default. It's combats wrap up more quickly. It's classes have varied recharge schedules and unique mechanics. It evokes the classic game. Etc.

In some ways, it often does a better job at some of those things than 5e has.

But it's definitely not 4e nor a 4e clone nor even a spiritual successor or anything of that sort.

And this is why I've called 5e the 'Tombstone of D&D', because where do you go from the point where you threw up your hands and gave in to "D&D is just all about nostalgia"?
TO DA BANK! Laughing all the way! ;P

It stops being a really living growing game in essence.
Seriously, though, I appreciate the point you're making, but it's as much a foundation stone as a tombstone. From here, the D&D IP can be built up in other media and other formats. The RPG is, perhaps, dead in the existential sense that it's identity is set. It's legacy won't be a later, better, D&D TTRPG. Maybe it'll include D&D CRGPs, MMOs, AR games, movies, or future holodeck adventures or what-have-you.

But what D&D, the TTRPG, /is/ has become a settled question.

they've entirely given up any claim to being thought leaders in the RPG market space.
D&D hasn't been that in a long while. Even when everyone was jumping on the d20 bandwagon, it was market or business-model, not head-space/creative, leadership.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't think that the words 'progress', 'decline', or 'advancements' appear anywhere in my post, nor is there any implication of badwrongfun. Games do clearly evolve with the times though. And no I don't particularly see anything like the number of innovations in 5e that Ilmaro does. (Dis)advantage can be reasonably considered mildly innovative, at least for D&D. 5e is nowhere near as casual friendly as say Basic D&D, and I guess I'd argue even as 4e is for initiating low-level play. In other respects too it seems more to harken back to 1e perhaps than anything else, with less supplements. I won't even tread into the waters of 'bounded accuracy', but even if we just call it given that 5e's numbers progress more slowly (which really ISN'T clearly the case, but) that seems like a pretty miserly 'innovation'. Anyway, I don't think you can dismiss my statement as '4e Grognard rhetoric' so easily, but I expect we're veering off the topic here anyway...

See, this is assuming "innovation" us a desire able value in and of itself, next to refinement or sticking with what works.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases