D&D 5E Why are 5E Giants Huge size?

dave2008

Legend
Depends on your definition of what's being equated.

A. Is it a tally of powers and abilities, whether combat relevant or not (in which case the nomenclature is awry).
or
B. Is it a gauge of the monster's effective challenge in actual combat (in which case the name is appropriate)...but we should probably ignore the secondary modifiers.
Many of what you call secondary modifiers absolutely affect the combat potential of a monster. They are not irrelevant. To me, the issue is not the modifiers themselves, but the CR table has to hit bonus and AC numbers that are too low for the HP and DPR listed. I mean the AC caps at 19 and we have monsters that go up to 25. If you raised the AC and Attack bonus thresholds and use the secondary modifiers as is, it significantly lowers the CR or monsters like you want.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Sorry, I've been popping in and out of this convo so have not been following as closely - what are the secondary modifiers you are referring to?
CR adjustments because of:
  • resistances & immunities
  • saving throws (if a monster has 3-4 proficiencies and again at 5-6)
  • monster features (there is a whole 2-page table in the DMG, but includes things like legendary resistance which modifies the monsters "effective" hit points)
You can see my excerpts from the DMG at this post further up thread.

dave2008

Legend
Adhering closely to the DMG pg. 274 table without incorporating the secondary modifiers looks like both a much simpler and a much more effective way of handling monster design.
Simpler yes, but less accurate and definitely will not get you a CR close to official CRs, which, like it or not, are the standard.

teitan

Legend
I don't see how you can criticize Challenge Rating for more or less doing its job. You don't throw the Tarrasque at a 1st Level Party but by the same token if they go looking for it they deserve what they get.

With 5E's bounded accuracy you can get away with a lot more than in previous editions (in regards throwing a singularly tough monster at the PCs), the counter balance is you have to keep the number of monsters relatively low.
You’re also thinking every encounter needs to be combat related. We’ve known from 2014 that the challenge rating system is garbage in 5e. That it doesn’t do what it’s supposed to accurately. Is it a good gauge? Sure if you want to hamstring yourself. Everyone takes these extreme examples when I’m not using these extreme example. I wouldn’t throw a tarrasque at any party because it’s not a combat monster. It’s a plot point. If you think every encounter is supposed to be about combat then that’s how you play. Good for you. I use CR as a gauge but in general it is a failed system. If it’s fun, do it. If it’s not? Don’t. But we can’t sit here and actually say the challenge rating system works. It’s shown how it doesn’t work in this very thread because monsters in the monster manual don’t follow the same guidelines as the DMG for challenge ratings by a long shot and are a LOT weaker than the DMG guidelines indicate. So yes. It’s garbage. A DM who knows his party doesn’t need challenge rating.

teitan

Legend
Why Kobolds and Goblins in B2, and not Balors and Titans?

Any (cough cough) level/ challenge appropriate reason you can see for that?
Why you being so extreme? You’re being disingenuous and contrarian on purpose. You’re taking my comments and spinning the most extreme example into it. It’s really kind of pathetic that. You need to immediately hit extremes.

Why you being so extreme?

Because you're wrong.

Literally every single adventure ever written in every edition ever contains predominantly encounters balanced around the expected level of the PCs it's designed for.

That doesn't mean your PCs have to fight them. It's just how it is, despite your constant assertions that its not.

Last edited:

This thread seems to have devolved into a debate about CR... which who really cares, everyone is aware it is filled with inconsistencies and DMs really can only use it as a general barometer more than anything fine-tuned.

Probably my fault going off topic.

Back to the topic of "should giants be huge?" I'm going to be a little bit frank... I find @Upper_Krust a little all of the place in this thread.

Well I have changed my mind on the topic of whether they should be Huge or not. I agree now it was a good idea.

At first it seemed like he finds giants an easy foe to fight that doesn't justify being huge.

I don't recall saying anything along those lines. Can you find a quote?

I did say if you make the giants bigger then you should try and make them more (rather than less) interesting because bigger/more powerful creatures get used less often.

Then it seems like he believes giants are too dangerous to fight,

I don't recall saying they were too dangerous to fight. But I did point out that 5E fire giants were tougher than most other monsters (for their CR) and that taking on more than 5 was likely a TPK for a party of four 12th-level PCs...and in Against the Giants the Fire Giant Stronghold has 105 giants, while the likelihood of encountering 5+ at a time is very high you would think.

and that it is unreasonable to fight more than a handful of them.

I think WotC lazily (as the maps attest to) converted over Against the Giants to 5E without thinking through the potential threat of 105 fire giants in a system with bounded accuracy. But I don't have the adventure so I am only going off the information other people post in this thread.

I'm still not sure if he wants giants to feel like a distinct monster, or to add them to the list of "generic large foes," like ogres or trolls.

This thread convinced me, early into it, that giants should be Huge and I'm happy with that change WotC made. I still think 4E Giants are more interesting, but that's another matter entirely.

Anyway, I'm going to restate my opinion, which is two-fold; giants are not a monolith (there are 6 types after all), and range from the not that frightening Hill Giant to the damn terrifying Storm Giant. I personally like how Giants are huge, as there really isn't any monster that takes up that niche in 5E (a humanoid-looking monster that takes up that much space).

Agreed.

And lastly, I don't really care that they really are just buckets of HP and damage; if I need an interesting giant, I'll grab some from Volo's or make my own, but sometimes its good to have simple statblocks if you want your combat to be speedy (or have one interesting boss, and a couple boring lackeys helping).

That's a fair point.

It would be good to have a succinct argument from @Upper_Krust as to why he feels giants should be large... as reading the thread, it largely seems to boil down to "That's how the used to be, that's what I'm used to, I wish they went back to it."

I no longer think they should be large.

However, my initial reasoning as to why I didn't like the change from 4E to 5E giants was because they took away the (large) giant & (huge) titan dynamic (ie. Hill Giants & Earth Titans). 5E removed the titans and in so doing made the giants FAR less interesting. Of course the easy fix is to simply make the Titans Gargantuan in 5E - but that doesn't change the fact nothing like that exists in the 5E Monster Manual.

Additionally 4E usually had 2-3 giant types of the same giant that filled different roles (e.g. Fire Giant Icefist, etc.). They could easily get around this in 5E by having an extra mini-stat-block just for the attacks.

They have some unique mechanics for epic monsters that I think you would find interesting. Monsters have an area of influence (like a big aura but more involved) and a nucleus (the stat block) and they do interesting things with that concept.

S'mon is a good friend, I'll just leave it at that. ;)

Do you think proficiency in saving throws or the ability to turn a failed saving throw into a success or a getting advantage on saving throws against magic shouldn't affect CR? There is a lot more in the guidelines than adjusting effective HP because of immunities and resistances (which the specifically say is a judgement call).

No I don't think it should affect CR. The higher the CR the more you would expect monsters to have at the very least a handful of special resistances, attacks and immunities. PCs don't have their level increased when they gain new magic items.

How about resistance to all damage,

Resistance to ALL damage is basically x2 hit points.

or all B,P, S damage.

Might be something that impacts CR at low level, such as Lycanthropes. But really a mechanic like Damage Resistance 10/silver would be far better and even Damage Threshold 20 for something like the Tarrasque makes far more sense than Immunity to BPS which rules out being hit by siege weapons but +1 daggers can hurt it.

I don't think you can just ignore these things whole-hog and have a reasonable CR system. If you do, you monsters definitely will not be balanced either.

You have to look at these things logically.

Simpler yes, but less accurate and definitely will not get you a CR close to official CRs, which, like it or not, are the standard.

Mostly over-inflated (due to secondary abilities) and not reflective of actual Hard and Deadly challenges.

If the official DMG pg. 274 Monster Statistic By Challenge Ratings (with secondary modifiers) rules contradict the official DMG pg. 82 XP Thresholds by Character Level* then no matter which side of the fence you fall on, things won't add up.

*Notably as regards what constitutes a Deadly Encounter.

My personal opinion is that ignoring the secondary modifiers and just using the Pg. 274 table better represents the Hard and Deadly columns on Page 82.

Remove ads