D&D 3E/3.5 Why be a Fighter? (3.5)

DarkJester

First Post
Me and a friend were talking online, about the changes in 3.5 and he mentioned how he thinks the fighter was weak. This kind of caught me off guard, I think Fighters are fine as is.

He pointed out how all the other melee classes are greatly improved, getting special abilities nearly every level.

I countered with "but fighters get many feats, from a huge choice of sources". He didn't seem to see it my way lol.

--- I want your guys to give an opinion, are fighters underpowered? Are other classes over powered?

ALSO

He said that people only take a couple of levels of fighter at most, usually to get weapon focus and weapon specialization, and he wants to (did actually) houserule that fighters get a feat every level in his games.

----I don't play in his games (right now anyways) but think that a feat every level would only make the level dipping worse. What do you think?

A feat every level would be WAAAAY overpowered. The Fighter is just fine as he is...especially in 3.5, because now there's Greater Weapon Focus and Greater Weapon Specialization, which are both great feats, but require much more dedication to the Fighter class.

:cool:

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
While Fighters might not be the epitome of Conanesque fighting, they are still one of the best classes for getting LOTS of feats and being very verstile in their use of various weapons. While some classes might have a leg up in various ways, straight fighters still rock enough with heavy armors, many, many weapons, and their feat chains in various ways. Unlike the ranger, a fighter can do two weapon fighting with the best of them AND do it in medium/heavy armor.

Pants

First Post
Nightfall said:
While Fighters might not be the epitome of Conanesque fighting, they are still one of the best classes for getting LOTS of feats and being very verstile in their use of various weapons. While some classes might have a leg up in various ways, straight fighters still rock enough with heavy armors, many, many weapons, and their feat chains in various ways. Unlike the ranger, a fighter can do two weapon fighting with the best of them AND do it in medium/heavy armor.
Agree 110%.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
No, Tal, that's why you'd be a barbarian. ;) Especially if what Joe said about the Player's Guide to Fighters and Barbarians book is true. (We'll find out once I get a copy.)

Talath

Explorer
Nightfall said:
No, Tal, that's why you'd be a barbarian. ;) Especially if what Joe said about the Player's Guide to Fighters and Barbarians book is true. (We'll find out once I get a copy.)

Does it have a feat for heaving witches in to hearth fires? :p

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Fighter and Rogue both work best with a liberal sprinkling of the other. They are both the most skilled classes in the game-- the Fighter in combat skills (BAB and feats) and the Rogue in non-combat skills. The Rogue's Bluff and Sense Motive complement the Fighter's BAB and easy access to Improved Feint, while the Fighter's quick access to the whole Two Weapon Fighting tree complements sneak attacks.

It also gives you the best functioning in and out of armor, with heavy weapons or light, and in social situations or combat. You make a good mercenary, or thief, or Guard Captain.

Fedifensor

Explorer
I'm not sure why anyone would want to play a single-classed fighter to 20th level. Sure, they get a lot of feats...but after a while, you've picked the ones most appropriate to your character concept and are just grabbing at the leftovers.

It's the law of diminishing returns...by the time you've grabbed the feat with the highest requirements (Greater Weapon Specialization at 12th), anything else you choose is weaker than your previous choices. Compare this to most other classes, where their special abilities get more powerful at higher levels.

Remove ads