D&D 5E Why did they design Demiplane to suck?

gyor

Legend
Honestly I think Magificant Mansion, Mighty Fortress, Temple of the Gods, Druid Grove, and with clever usage even Imprison make for better fortresses.

For those wondering what I mean by Imprisonment being a better Fortress, as long as your a loner just just cast the Hedge Prison version on yourself using a special competent that looks like a Palace. Now you dwelling in a sweet Palace where you never age, need to eat, drink, or breath, and no one bugs you. And you can set the trigger for ending the spell, so you can leave at any time.

Last edited:

Gadget

Adventurer
I kind of agree with the OP. While the spell does have its uses, I would definitely allow a larger space (either by default or with further castings) and allow a more fluid environment (sunlit meadow with a brooklet, frozen ice tundra to keep a cold one, etc.).

Arilyn

Hero
I kind of agree with the OP. While the spell does have its uses, I would definitely allow a larger space (either by default or with further castings) and allow a more fluid environment (sunlit meadow with a brooklet, frozen ice tundra to keep a cold one, etc.).

Yes, definitely more flavourful. I like the idea that casters could customize their own personal closets. Differing environments with differing temperatures is a great idea.

gyor

Legend

This, so much thing, some customization options even if only fluff wise would have been nice and some extra size.

G

Guest 6801328

Yeah, you should definitely be able to fluff it as desired.

"...a dingy, poorly-lit 30' by 30' basement, smelling like stale shag carpet and old pizza. Along two of the walls are teetering bookcases, overloaded with RPGs, each of which has only ever been played by fewer than a dozen people, half of whom you know personally. At the top of the stairs is a locked door, upon which your parents are pounding, saying something about 'getting a job'."

Undrhil

Explorer
You could ask your DM to setup a quest or story arc centered around finding an "upgrade" to Demiplane, allowing the spell to be cast in such a way to make the demiplane larger or to give more options for customization. The DM can even name is Demiplane: The Sims Edition!

see

Pedantic Grognard
The obvious reason to have such a plain, standardized demiplane is that it avoids exploits while saving word count. Making a version that is simultaneously short, inexploitable, and flexible is pretty tricky.

The obvious explanation for created demiplanes that are more interesting is custom spells, whether to create more interesting ones or alter the boring ones. Which puts the DM in a position to allow/refuse permission for any given feature in advance, rather than being presented with a player exploit and having to ban a rules-as-written use of the spell.

Kurotowa

Legend
Yeah, 5e goes to some effort to cap a lot of those open ended Wizard tricks. Custom tailored demiplanes is just one example.

That said, D&D does have a bit of a gap where spells are for repeated daily use and there's no guidelines for single-use "I do a magic thing" rituals. When those things do crop up they're usually left very much to the DM's discretion, such as Eberron's Eldritch Machines. That being the case, if someone really wanted a more specialized space, I'd suggest using the Crafting an Item rules from XGE as a template. Estimate what rarity of item the desired effect is equivalent to and go from there.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases