D&D 5E Why do Sorcerers have so few spells compared to other full Casters

EroGaki

First Post
Half Caster spells are equal in number to the Sorcerer, while all the other full casters far exceed the Sorcerer.
I initially thought that the Warlock shared the same limitations, but then realized I was mistaken.

The Warlock has 15 known spells. Through Mystic Arcanum, they gain 1 additional spell of 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th level for an additional 4 spells. Then through Invocations, they could gain at will usage of 11 spells and once per long rest of 7 spells.
In total they have potentially 37 spells available to them based on the Invocations selected. Yes they have 4 spell slots for spells at 5th level, but they regain them after a short rest.

So why the strict limitation on the Sorcerer?

There really needs to be a couple of specifically "wild" spells that cater to the image of the Wild Mage.

Not asking for many; as little as three would probably suffice (one level 1 spell, one level 3 spell, and one high-level spell would do it).

These spells should default to chaotic random results, but allow the wild mage to get better results (thanks to the subclass abilities).

At least the third level spell should be damage-dealing spell with an attack roll, rather than the target saving.

---

As for the Draconic subclass, it's better off, so I really don't think it absolutely must have any unique spells. But since there are dragon spellcasting supplements for previous editions, it should be easy to find the same number of unique additions to that subclass.

---

Note: I'm not even asking that these spells get added as bonus spells(although that would be nice, wouldn't it?).

Just having them on the spell list is the minimal nod I'm asking for.

(Meaning that all Wild Mages won't take all the "wild" spells, just like you don't have to take Confusion, arguably the "wildest" standard spell. For example)

I've recent;y created a wild mage for an upcoming game, and my DM converted the wild magic spells from the old 2e Tome of Magic books. Better still, she's giving them to my character as bonus spells.

Perhaps take a look at that book, if you can find it. It has fun stuff.

EroGaki

First Post
Personally I want more subtle and utility spells. Just because my magic doesn't come from a classroom it doesn't mean it is destructive and unrefined.

Alas, that seems to be the theme they designed (restricted) sorcerers around; wizards get refined, complex magic like summons and magical houses, whle sorcerers are stuck with unrefined...everything else. If it has any level of complexity or sophistication, they do get it.

I honestly feel that they should have just created a list of custom, sorcerer only spells if they wanted to go that direction, rather than simply giving them the wizard's leftovers.

famousringo

First Post
Personally I want more subtle and utility spells. Just because my magic doesn't come from a classroom it doesn't mean it is destructive and unrefined.

Well, let's not just wish for it. Let's cook up some ideas! Here are a few spells I've dreamed up:

Channel Dwoemer
2nd level

Touch
Instantaneous

Another spellcaster you touch regains a level 1 spell slot. If that spellcaster hasn't spent any 1st level spell slots, this spell is wasted. You cannot target yourself with this spell.

For every spell slot above 2nd you use to cast this spell, the target gains a spell slot 1 level higher.

This is basically a metamagic support ability that lets the sorcerer cast most spells his buddies have prepared in a roundabout way. Handy if you really need the cleric to cast Raise Dead again, or if another caster has the 'right' spell for a situation, but no slots for it.

Aura of Power
4th level

Self
Concentration, 1 minute

You reach deep into the well of magic within you to manifest a palpable aura of power, visible as crackling energy, gathering shadows or trembling vibrations. For the duration, any spells you cast are cast as if they you used a slot two levels higher than you actually used. You must still use a slot of the minimum required level for a spell.

For example, you cannot use a 1st level slot to cast a Fireball, but using a 3rd level slot will result in a Fireball which inflicts damage as if it had used a 5th level slot.

In addition, as long as you maintain the Aura of Power you gain advantage on any intimidate checks you make.

Another "metamagic" spell. Basically Thaumaturgy with some teeth. I like the little intimidate bonus that leverages the sorcerer's magical might into his social role. My only concern is that combining this spell with Channel Dwoemer and Twin Spell breaks the magic economy pretty hard, so one of these might have to go.

Dragon's Breath
3rd level

You conjure up the fearsome breath of a dragon and spew it forth from your own mouth. Choose an element from fire, ice, lightning, acid and poison. Creatures in a 20 foot cone must make a Dex save or take 4d12 damage of the selected type, or half damage on a save.

For every slot above 3rd, increase the damage by 1d12.
For the dragons, obviously. Does less average damage than a Fireball and has a shorter range and smaller area, but the damage versatility and good scaling hopefully free up spells known for things other than blasting.

Psychedelia
2nd level

60 foot
1 minute

A creature you can see that isn't a construct or undead must make an Int save or perceive the world as a swirling mess of colours, shapes and distorted sounds. A creature affected by Psychedelia has disadvantage on all attacks, saves, and ability checks for the duration. On its turn, the affected creature can use its action to attempt another Int save and return to its proper senses.
A control spell for the "wild" ones. Also fun at parties. Not sure I got the balance right. Maybe should require concentration? Be a higher level AoE?

I'm missing a good cantrip. I thought maybe a single round version of Psychedelia might be the ticket, but the idea of a sorcerer just constantly badgering a boss with it seems too powerful for a cantrip.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Well, let's not just wish for it. Let's cook up some ideas! Here are a few spells I've dreamed up:

This is basically a metamagic support ability that lets the sorcerer cast most spells his buddies have prepared in a roundabout way. Handy if you really need the cleric to cast Raise Dead again, or if another caster has the 'right' spell for a situation, but no slots for it.

Another "metamagic" spell. Basically Thaumaturgy with some teeth. I like the little intimidate bonus that leverages the sorcerer's magical might into his social role. My only concern is that combining this spell with Channel Dwoemer and Twin Spell breaks the magic economy pretty hard, so one of these might have to go.

For the dragons, obviously. Does less average damage than a Fireball and has a shorter range and smaller area, but the damage versatility and good scaling hopefully free up spells known for things other than blasting.

A control spell for the "wild" ones. Also fun at parties. Not sure I got the balance right. Maybe should require concentration? Be a higher level AoE?

I'm missing a good cantrip. I thought maybe a single round version of Psychedelia might be the ticket, but the idea of a sorcerer just constantly badgering a boss with it seems too powerful for a cantrip.

Ok I'll bite
Tighten/Loose
Transmutation Cantrip
Components: V, S, M (A rusty key costing 5 gp)
Casting time: 1 action
Range: 30'
Duration: 10 minutes.

You target a knot, lock or other mechanism with mobile parts. You can decide to tighten or loose the target.

Tighten: The first attribute check done to untie, open, unstuck or activate the target before the duration of the spell is made with disadvantage.
Loose: The first attribute check you do before the end of your next turn to untie, open, unstuck or activate the target is made with advantage.

Synergy: If you know four sorcerer cantrips or more as a sorcerer, you don't need to provide any component.
At higher levels: You can cast this cantrip as if it was a 1st level spell using a sorcerer slot, if you do:
Tighten: Your Spell save DC becomes the DC to untie/open/unstuck/activate the target. The duration increases to 1 hour per slot/level.
Loose: You can make an spell attack against the untie/open/unstuck/activate DC to untie/open/unstuck/activate the target. Dispel spell effects of a lower level than the slot you use to cast this spell preventing this effect.

Last edited:

Moraine

First Post
The sorcerer was the nice guy that, when the whole group had to run away and found a chasm on the way, could cast Fly spells for everyone. Concentration sucks, and it sucks more if your spell list is so limited. Every Sorcerous Origins should have extra spells.

Remove ads