Why Do You Hate An RPG System?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Augmented reality is cutting edge technology today.

And, repeatedly, I have noted that in early editions this was not the case.
I also myself noted that this was changed somewhere about 5th edition of Shadowrun.

So, I'm not sure why you're making this point.

Emirikol

Adventurer
When I hate a system:
* Not intuitive. I dont need a friggin rube goldberg.
When the writers think youre going to use their system for anything other then an occasional one-shot. I NEVER need levels 1-20 for your system Sorry.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Thread necro!

The funny part is, I read the headline and my first thought was, "If I have to roll 2d20 for every action, and it's not because I have Advantage."

Then I clicked and realized that 2d20 was the inspiration for the thread.

Lycurgon

Adventurer
There is only one game I hated.
M.E.R.P - Middle Earth Role Playing. Spend a couple of hours looking at options and making a character. Then 5 minute of playing the game we see some Orcs at a distance in a forest. They get to go first before we could do anything. First attack of the game the Orc throws a spear, it crits and goes through my characters neck, permanently paralysed. Game over for me. The other characters followed pretty quickly.Game over for everyone.
We tried again and with new characters lasted a bit longer but didn't make it past the first session.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
M.E.R.P - Middle Earth Role Playing. Spend a couple of hours looking at options and making a character. Then 5 minute of playing the game we see some Orcs at a distance in a forest. They get to go first before we could do anything. First attack of the game the Orc throws a spear, it crits and goes through my characters neck, permanently paralysed. Game over for me. The other characters followed pretty quickly.Game over for everyone.
We tried again and with new characters lasted a bit longer but didn't make it past the first session.

M.E.R.P. might be the game everybody is thinking of, in the thread about RPGs having too much prose, when they say that some games are acquired for reading, not playing.

MGibster

Legend
Games that expect you to preplan character narrative arcs. Scion Second Edition and 7th Sea Second Edition are the biggest offenders here.
This was one of my biggest annoyances with D&D 3rd edition. Prestige classes seemed like a great concept to me when they were introduced. But for many prestige classes, I had to essentially map my characters progression from level 1 in order to qualify for the class later leaving no room for spontaneity and being able to perhaps move into a prestige class based on what happened during the game. Sorry, but you didn't take the Endurance Feat when you could have so you can't go into this class.

Lycurgon

Adventurer
M.E.R.P. might be the game everybody is thinking of, in the thread about RPGs having too much prose, when they say that some games are acquired for reading, not playing.
In University I met someone that loved M.E.R.P. and had played heaps of it as a kid. I asked how their group coped with the lethality of the game. He admitted that they just didn't roll anything under 75%, if they rolled low they just rerolled. I had to laugh.

Crusadius

Adventurer
MERP was a simpler version of Rolemaster. I've had similar happen to me with Rolemaster - spent an entire session creating characters, and next session everyone dies. This did not make me hate Rolemaster (nor MERP), just that these games should not be played as if the characters are high-level D&D characters.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Yeah, Orcs are pretty tough in MERP, a lot more than in D&D; later, I converted our MERP game to AD&D. I had similar thing happen in Morrow Project, we all made our characters, and then got in a radiation area, and just died.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases