• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Why do you use Floating ASI's (other than power gaming)? [+]

BookTenTiger

He / Him
See, I think the result is the opposite of optimization. Once all race/class combinations are optimized, then none of them are.

I mean, you can still pick optimized stat allocation...or not, if you think that would make you a dirty powergamer...but the race/class combination is no longer relevant to optimization.
Exactly, by giving everyone a choice of ASI, it's basically just removing ASI from the choices people make at 1st Level.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Exactly, by giving everyone a choice of ASI, it's basically just removing ASI from the choices people make at 1st Level.
On my heartbreaker, racial/lineage ASIs are absent, at least in a way. They only exist for the purpose of rolled stats in order to give players some degree of control over the rolls. But they are absent for point buy, because they become superfluous with point buy.

Argyle King

Legend
I'm okay with removing ASI, but I believe that the races should still have strengths and weaknesses.

4th Edition did a pretty good job at giving most PC Races abilities which leaned toward a particular role without locking them into one.

For example, a 4E Dragonborn could use their innate abilities to occasionally cover the controller role or take out a group of minions. That was useful regardless of class. Sure there were still races that fit certain roles more easily, but even playing against type typically had reasons for the powers and abilities to be useful. Playing against type meant approaching the role differently, not suboptimal.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I'm okay with removing ASI, but I believe that the races should still have strengths and weaknesses.

4th Edition did a pretty good job at giving most PC Races abilities which leaned toward a particular role without locking them into one.

For example, a 4E Dragonborn could use their innate abilities to occasionally cover the controller role or take out a group of minions. That was useful regardless of class. Sure there were still races that fit certain roles more easily, but even playing against type typically had reasons for the powers and abilities to be useful. Playing against type meant approaching the role differently, not suboptimal.
Absolutely agree!

I'm playing a Goblin Paladin right now, and the fun thing about being a goblin isn't the +2 to Dex, it's the fact that I can disengage or hide as a bonus action. I wouldn't be able to do that as any other race, so it makes Goblin distinct and interesting!

Meanwhile, there are all kinds of other races that would give me a +2 to Dex.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
On my heartbreaker, racial/lineage ASIs are absent, at least in a way. They only exist for the purpose of rolled stats in order to give players some degree of control over the rolls. But they are absent for point buy, because they become superfluous with point buy.
Magnificent!

Because not all elves are deft and not all half orca are strong.
Compared to humans all orca are pretty damn strong. They weight several tons and can sink a small boat.

41a8bf9876f2314dd844a679389fd9d6.jpg

Ixal

Hero
Kinda strange that the thread title calls for "other than optimization", yet the only thing people post, including the ones in favor of floting ASI, is optimization to get the +3 primary stat...

I’m not going to pretend it isn’t for power gaming, and certainly not going to apologize for it. It’s a legitimate motivation for play.

Thanks for being honest. I see a lot of people who don't want to admit that this is why they want floating ASI.

Remove ads