• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Why do you use Floating ASI's (other than power gaming)? [+]

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Compared to humans all orca are pretty damn strong. They weight several tons and can sink a small boat.

41a8bf9876f2314dd844a679389fd9d6.jpg

Maybe, but compared to a post-Tasha's halfling barbarian they are weak.

Oofta

Legend
Some of you have really low bars for what you call "power gaming".
The point to me is that optimization isn't four letter word. Neither is power gaming for that matter*. Nor is building characters that some people would consider suboptimal.

But if you've always wanted to play an elf barbarian but didn't because elves don't have a +2 in strength, it's perfectly okay to use Tasha's to switch things around to get that little bit of optimization. You don't have to justify it, it's not a bad thing. It's just that with very few exceptions (i.e. the clumsy elf) it is being done for optimization purposes.

*Power gaming is often related to other bad habits like nerd-splaining (related to man-splaining) where someone tells everyone else they're doing it wrong and they should do their build this way, hogging the spotlight (typically in combat), being solely focused on combat to the detriment of the fun of other players and so on.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Kinda strange that the thread title calls for "other than optimization", yet the only thing people post, including the ones in favor of floting ASI, is optimization to get the +3 primary stat...

Thanks for being honest. I see a lot of people who don't want to admit that this is why they want floating ASI.
This is a + Thread. If you disagree with the premise, please start your own.

Remove ads