D&D General Why Editions Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oofta

Legend
Gaining levels is a default goal of the game. Whether an individual cares about that goal or not will vary from person to person. That means that while gaining levels is a goal of the game, you personally don't see it as a goal, or when it is, it is secondary to other goals that you care about more.
Yeah, I wasn't expressing my thoughts correctly. 🤷‍♂️

Seems to me there has been a shift over editions. The leveling carrot, or at least the mechanism to achieve that carrot has been changing and evolving. Old school D&D it was all about killing the monsters and and getting the loot. You can still do that of course, but there's also more emphasis on leveling because you can tell different parts of the story.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
One example has already been given: gold for XP.

Other examples, with different structures, come from 4e: players can author quests for their PCs, which then create an overarching framework for the GM to establish encounters; and players can indicate desires for magic items for their PCs, which the GM refers to in providing treasure parcels.
How much of the quest did the player author vs. what the DM authors?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yeah, I wasn't expressing my thoughts correctly. 🤷‍♂️

Seems to me there has been a shift over editions. The leveling carrot, or at least the mechanism to achieve that carrot has been changing and evolving. Old school D&D it was all about killing the monsters and and getting the loot. You can still do that of course, but there's also more emphasis on leveling because you can tell different parts of the story.
I agree. They've also dropped the amount of XP to level considerably so PCs level faster.

hawkeyefan

Legend
It can be both XP for gold and about finding your brother's killer. These are not mutually exclusive ideas. The DM just has stuff along the way that involves you finding gold and magic items. Your brother's killer has minions with gold. He learns you are coming and sends hired ogre thugs to waylay you.

XP and gold come freely while you pursue your goal of finding your brother's keeper.

Sure, there are a lot of ways that it can be handled. My opinion is that it's best when the reward system of the game aligns with the goals that players have for their characters. So if revenge on your brother's killer is a goal, the game would probably benefit from some kind of reward for taking steps toward that.

Then you don't have to worry about finding some way to align the game's reward system toward what you want. It will just be what you want.

Old school D&D it was all about killing the monsters and and getting the loot. You can still do that of course, but there's also more emphasis on leveling because you can tell different parts of the story.

That's not quite right. Old school D&D did XP for gold so that it wasn't the killing of a monster that earned you the XP, but rather getting the loot. It's an important distinction.

Compared to later editions where the gaining of XP has shifted more onto killing monsters (with some recommendations on how to include other things, as well, but boy killing monsters is pretty central). I don't think it's a coincidence that this coincides with encounter balance and CR and all of that.

pemerton

Legend
Not sure I can be any clearer or how many times I have to repeat. XP, gold for XP or any variation therein is metagame motivation, it's motivation for the player not the character. When I DM I want the motivation for the player to be playing a game that they enjoy, I do that by creating motivations for the PC.

I'm well aware of the reward centers of the player being rewarded by leveling up. I did not make myself clear. I was discussing what would motivate some farm kid to pick up a pointy stick one day and say "I'm going to go risk getting my derriere handed to me by goblins! Later my dudes!"
No one in this thread - me, @hawkeyefan, @ Aldarc, @EzekielRaiden to whom you replied with your post about D&D having no rules for player goals, anyone else - thinks that "XP for gold" is a character motivation.

Character motivations can be anything at all. Or none - a lot of classic D&D has been played using characters who have no motivations at all, but are just playing pieces (eg I ran a session of S2 White Plume Mountain earlier this year that was as I've just described).

I also note that you say when I DM I create motivations for the PCs. That's interesting. I started a thread earlier this month on different ways of establishing starting situations and motivations: Various ways of setting up and starting RPG play What you describe is an example of category D in my thread. One reason for having different structures and processes of play in a RPG is to open up some of the other possibilities that I described.

I would not know how to run relatively complex combat without the rules. You could have one person point and say "Bang your dead" to which the target says "Nah uh, I ducked". If I wanted a simplified system I could play rock paper scissors with my players. Another option would be to have the attacker roll up to 3 6 sided die if they have the resources while the defender rolls up to 2 6 sided die to defend if they want to risk that many resources and they're available. But I was discussing the somewhat complex give and take combat represented by D&D, not Risk.
When a player says (speaking as their characer) "I jump the pit", presumably you don't just say "Nah uh, you fall your doom!" Or if they are in a running race against a NPC, you presumably don't just say (in the voice of the NPC) "Huh, suck on that, you lost!" Presumably you call for opposed checks, or checks against a DC that reflects the difficulty of what the PC is attempting, or whatever. Combat can be done the same way. You prefer to do it a different way (and dismiss other approaches as "playing Risk") but that other way is not needed. It's an option.

I don't know how you do resource depletion when a PC jumps a pit or talks to a sentry, but however you do that could be equally applied to combat resolution (eg in Prince Valiant, the RPG I mentioned upthread, the GM decides: RPG combat without injury and healing rules).

D&D is not a particularly accurate simulation of combat (and an accurate simulation would probably not be particularly enjoyable) but there it's there at least in broad brushstrokes.
I don't follow this. Where does simulation come into it?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Sure, there are a lot of ways that it can be handled. My opinion is that it's best when the reward system of the game aligns with the goals that players have for their characters. So if revenge on your brother's killer is a goal, the game would probably benefit from some kind of reward for taking steps toward that.
I completely agree. Rather tepid non-combat XP awards have frustrated me since 1e gave piddling amounts for picking locks and casting spells. I personally give more XP for roleplaying and quest completion, than for combat. Not by a lot, but it's more and you could theoretically level up quite a bit without ever getting into a fight.

I'd probably have a player revolt if I tried to remove combat like that, but it could be done. :p

If it's a player-authored quest, all of it? I mean, by definition, right?
So they decide the treasure, the monsters, the map layouts, everything?
normally I think of player authored quest being the player laying out (at least) any 2 of the following 3 "What monster you are going to fight" "What treasure is there" "What is the point of this" the map layout isn't normally part of it.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
normally I think of player authored quest being the player laying out (at least) any 2 of the following 3 "What monster you are going to fight" "What treasure is there" "What is the point of this" the map layout isn't normally part of it.
When I think of player authored quests I think of the example I often give. I'm telling the DM that my fighter is going to travel to the northern wastes to unite the barbarian tribes under my banner and raise a new kingdom. It gives him a clear, possibly achievable goal for him to flesh out. I don't normally view treasure as part of it, but it could be if the quest was to track down the location of and acquire a rod of lordly might or some other powerful item or artifact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads