D&D 5E Why Good Players do not play Player Characters

Sacrosanct

Legend
. BTW Oofta you are a n00btroll!!!1! T Rexes cannot wield a katana since their arms are too short!!!! Fail!!!!.

No, it's YOU who is the newb! Because clearly anyone who knows anything about anything would know that any self respecting T rex would have a KATANA LAUNCHER mounted on it's back.

Come on now...

BoldItalic

First Post
It's a well-known fact that DMs force players to optimise by making combat too hard. The best strategy for players is to run whacky but suboptimal characters, get killed a lot and constantly interrupt the game while you and your buddies spend hours together making the backstory for your next one and the DM gets bored because there's no combat happening. Keep doing that until he gives up letting you die and then you can laugh at combat and get on with the serious business of looting his dungeons.

My DM didn't want me to post this, so I asked BI to post it for me ...

The views expressed in this post do not necessarily represent those of the author

Last edited:

Chaosmancer

Legend
I obviously approve of the T-rex, but the lich has a problem.

It is unfortunately still capable of being destroyed by its enemies. Instead I propose the Death Knight, not only is it a wielder of Katanas, but it is incapable of being destroyed unless it says "I'm sorry" which no True Adventurer says anyways.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
It's a well-known fact that DMs force players to optimise by making combat too hard. The best strategy for players is to run whacky but suboptimal characters, get killed a lot and constantly interrupt the game while you and your buddies spend hours together making the backstory for your next one and the DM gets bored because there's no combat happening. Keep doing that until he gives up letting you die and then you can laugh at combat and get on with the serious business of looting his dungeons.
This is a very odd thread in which to find evidence that one of my favorite messages to spread - that if you want your players to feel challenged in combat, the answer is to back off the difficulty until they start playing less potent characters by choice, because trying to keep cranking things higher and higher flat-out never ends satisfactorily - is getting around.

It's just too bad that the folks that want the feeling of each combat being a life-or-death-balanced-on-the-edge-of-a-blade also seem to be the most incapable of realizing they are locked into a cycle - the DM cranks up the challenge, the players optimize their characters because they'll end up dead if they don't, the DM thinks things are too easy and cranks up the challenge again, or worse starts complaining things like "X is overpowered" because at its peak potential of power it stood out while beating the super-hard encounters, or "high-level saves are busted because no one can pass nonproficient saves" which is only true because they have forced their players into lop-sided stat arrays with numerous dump stats and stick them up against nothing but high-CR monsters.

...if I were motivated, I could probably write a book about this... not that anyone that would actually benefit from it would read it.

I have my character name, which is obviously the most important thing, ahead of concept or mechanics.

But I can't decide between the Lich and the TRex, which both have their pros and cons. BTW Oofta you are a n00btroll!!!1! T Rexes cannot wield a katana since their arms are too short!!!! Fail!!!!

So I want my T Rex to be undead, but my DM (bastard!!!) says no, because he says my filactry doesn't work. Please help me persuade him, I think NaardZar, my LichRex deserves it.

As Tymora as my witness, I WILL USE A LICHREX IN MY NEXT GAME!!!

Remove ads