• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Why I play pathfinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zil

Explorer
This is blind frothing rage at its finest. The fact that it's capped off with an honest-to-god book burning is frosting on the cake.

WotC enraged you by releasing a game you didn't like so much that you burned books.

Blind frothing rage? I think you're making mountains out of mole-hills. I don't think you can take it too seriously. It reminds me of the tradition some people have of burning their notes when they graduate - sort of a rite of passage - rather than a full blown case of Fahrenheit 451.

Or less seriously put, it just sounds like his group felt burned by 4E, so they repaid it in kind.

Dannager

First Post
I don't think most of the rage against 4e is against the system itself, so much as against the marketing scheme that WOTC came up with. First by saying they weren't working on a new system, and then a few months later announcing it. Then when they were gearing up for the release, they started saying how much 3e sucked and how much better 4e was. Nice way to crap on a loyal customer base. What would the 4e fans say if all of a sudden, WOTC said " we've decided 4e blows, so heres a nice new shiny 5th edition that's way better"?

Spoiler: A ton of current 4e fans were 3e fans back when that was the supported edition. None of us feel like we were crapped on by WotC. If you feel like you were crapped on by WotC, you should consider examining why you feel that way when others do not.

More importantly, though, the OP's complaint with 4e seems to revolve around "4e sux they runed DND MMO on paper dailyes and book bonfires."

By the way, you should also consider going back to the events of 2007/08 and taking a hard look at how much of WotC saying "3e sucks!" was going on versus how much of other people saying WotC was saying "3e sucks!" was going on. I think you'll find this a fairly enlightening illustration of how echo chambers distort facts and help create a shared revisionist history.

Last edited:

Dannager

First Post
Blind frothing rage? I think you're making mountains out of mole-hills. I don't think you can take it too seriously. It reminds me of the tradition some people have of burning their notes when they graduate - sort of a rite of passage - rather than a full blown case of Fahrenheit 451.

Or less seriously put, it just sounds like his group felt burned by 4E, so they repaid it in kind.

I burned plenty of notes when I graduated, because there wasn't really anything else that I could do with them. Did I burn my textbooks when I graduated? God no.

I'm not saying this is Fahrenheit 451. This is more like a gaggle of concerned middle aged mothers in Arkansas deciding to burn any copies of Harry Potter they could find lying around their collective houses because they hate what they think the books have to say.

Last edited:

Zil

Explorer
I burned plenty of notes when I graduated, because there wasn't really anything else that I could do with them. Did I burn my textbooks when I graduated? God no.

I'm not saying this is Fahrenheit 451. This is more like a gaggle of concerned middle aged mothers in Arkansas deciding to burn any copies of Harry Potter they could find lying around their collective houses because they hate what the books have to say.

Not really. It's more like the kids who owned the Harry Potter books decided they didn't like the books anymore and burned them. It might be a bit silly, but it's not really all that sinister.

On an aside, I've never actually burned any notes or books. I did eventually start recycling my high school, university and grad school notes, but I kept them for far too many years. As for books, my house is overflowing with them. 6 stuffed to the gills bookshelves in this room, 3 15' long book shelves in the next room filled with gaming books, and more bookshelves upstairs plus various piles in the bedroom. Probably should join book hoarders (and RPG hoarders) anonymous. Or maybe I just need the book burning services of the OP. ;-)

Last edited:

brewdus

Banned
Banned
Spoiler: A ton of current 4e fans were 3e fans back when that was the supported edition. None of us feel like we were crapped on by WotC. If you feel like you were crapped on by WotC, you should consider examining why you feel that way when others do not.

More importantly, though, the OP's complaint with 4e seems to revolve around "4e sux they runed DND MMO on paper dailyes and book bonfires."

By the way, you should also consider going back to the events of 2007/08 and taking a hard look at how much of WotC saying "3e sucks!" was going on versus how much of other people saying WotC was saying "3e sucks!" was going on. I think you'll find this a fairly enlightening illustration of how echo chambers distort facts and help create a shared revisionist history.

Obviously they didn't say those exact words, but it seamed to me to be implied. The guys that don't feel crapped on were probably the guys whining about how hard grappling was to understand and how much more powerful wizards were than fighters, yadda yadda yadda! I myself had very few problems with 3e, so I felt crapped on when WOTC told me how much better 4e was than 3e. Btw, I did try 4e, liked it okay, but liked 3e way better and love Pathfinder!

Dannager

First Post
Obviously they didn't say those exact words, but it seamed to me to be implied.

Was it? Or was it not implied at all, and in fact were they expecting their criticisms of 3e to be taken at face value as coming from people who had played, enjoyed and even worked on 3e?

The guys that don't feel crapped on were probably the guys whining about how hard grappling was to understand and how much more powerful wizards were than fighters, yadda yadda yadda!

There are, like, three things wrong with this sentence. First, you totally dismiss concerns with the system that actual people had and that the designers agreed with. Second, you assume that anyone who didn't see the problems with grappling or wizards must have felt crapped on. And, third, (and most egregious) you came to the conclusion that system mastery determined whether or not someone felt slighted by WotC's marketing. Really?

People felt crapped on because they were on the lookout for new and exciting reasons to be upset with WotC. Whether or not they had good reasons to be upset didn't matter at all to them.

I myself had very few problems with 3e, so I felt crapped on when WOTC told me how much better 4e was than 3e.

Do you always feel crapped on when someone tells you their new product is better than their old product? Or do you reserve this particular quirk for D&D?

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
Do you always feel crapped on when someone tells you their new product is better than their old product? Or do you reserve this particular quirk for D&D?

All I know is that my blood comes to a boil every time I walk down the supermarket aisle and see laundry soap claiming to be better then what I use. I've been banned from more then ten stores.

Dannager

First Post
All I know is that my blood comes to a boil every time I walk down the supermarket aisle and see laundry soap claiming to be better then what I use. I've been banned from more then ten stores.

That's nothing. You should've seen what happened when they added a fifth blade to my razor of choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads