D&D 5E Why Not? A Variant Captain Fighter

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Or wait was it Rally that you suggested that for.... because while it would fix either I think Rally works even better in flavor.
I think one of the advantages of Rallying Cry being an allies in 10 foot range thing is not just the better flavor but the tactical element it adds. It still has a pretty faded scale factor though as those tph mean not very much at high levels. And I think having the range bump by tier while it scales it actually removes the tactical decision point hmmm. So I am still debating about this one... perhaps add another benefit at higher level or allow allies movement.

Perhaps however it should take more juice to affect multiple in that way. Like a forgo one extra attack and rally the whole group... or just a bonus action to rally self or one other a better scaling amount... not sure.

I think I have seen suggested add your fighter level to the thp for better scaling.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Harrying/Shout or Threatening Glare: spend a cs die and a bonus action and all enemies within 10 feet are considered marked. This marking if the enemy remains 10 or more feet away impairs attacks against allies other than yourself by subtracting a d4 from their attacks and if they are adjacent to you induces full disadvantage (subject to normal marking limits)

Diverted Shot / Friendly Fire: alternative to a riposte for ranged attacks an enemy misses you or an adjacent ally with a ranged attack you spend a cs die and your reaction to reroll that attack targeting another enemy up to 10 feet from you. Subsequent attack gains a bonus equal to the rolled CS die.

Wicked Strike: spend a cs die and your attack gains 2 CS die worth of damage against a single enemy with a bonus from Intelligence/Wisdom/Charisma.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Man seriously, do a whole draft with no more than half a dozen of these new ideas, get a framework worked out, and then expand.

I’d love to see and review it, but bit by bit like this I just can’t keep track, ya know?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Man seriously, do a whole draft with no more than half a dozen of these new ideas, get a framework worked out, and then expand.

I’d love to see and review it, but bit by bit like this I just can’t keep track, ya know?
Some things can be analyzed in more isolated fashion for instance the sub project of making the maneuvers more balanced and new maneuvers introduced. The cost CS die and should all be approximately balanced with Riposte/Precision Attack/Trip etc.

But I do get what you mean and the bigger elements which enable those to be used more flexibly are meta (ie outside of that).

And we havent even really opened up the higher cost (ie functionally level gated) maneuvers yet.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Harrying Shout / Threatening Glare: spend a cs die and a bonus action and all enemies within 10 feet are considered marked. If the enemy remains 10 or more feet away this distracting mark impairs attacks against allies other than yourself by inducing partial disadvantage (subtracting a d4) from their attack and if they are adjacent to you induces full disadvantage (subject to normal marking limits). Add the CS die to the damage of your first attack against one of these marked enemies this turn.

Dramatic: Spending and extra CS die or forgoing an extra attack increases the radius to 30 feet or ... other possibilities still in consideration.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I
I want more nuance is partial disadvantage a good idea... hmmmmm.
in Star Wars Saga, there is “reroll and take the second result” as well as “reroll and take the better result”.

5e has a little bit of the lesser version, using it in maneuvers should be fine.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
In Star Wars Saga, there is “reroll and take the second result” as well as “reroll and take the better result”.

5e has a little bit of the lesser version, using it in maneuvers should be fine.
It came up because I wanted Threatening Glare to induce a lesser disadvantage in comparison to the marking of the Cavalier since it affects multiple enemies... hmmm .

Remove ads