D&D 5E Why Not? A Variant Captain Fighter

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Lunging Attack I think can be balanced around maneuvering attack...

Perhaps not coincidentally we already have... Maneuvering Attack
note the balance difference with maneuvering attack you are guaranteed the benefit of the CS die where as if the bonus CS die is at the end of subsequent movement you are not. Such a charge maneuver is technically weaker than Maneuvering Attack. (I think it needs about a 1/2 more CS daka like a bonus based on a secondary or tertiary attribute)

Additionally since such a Lunging Attack since it affects only self logically is less valuable in terms of situational frequency to Maneuvering attack. In other words we can make it like Maneuvering attack a lot like you suggest but we need a small damage bonus and to realize its value will still come up less frequently; unless perhaps you are the only combatant in the party that gets out of reach... hmmm bet not though.

Someone might end up using a Lunging Attack on an occasion when they would have otherwise gotten an attack but find that the small amount more now taking the enemy down faster (just one CS die and maybe half again more) .

The blocking opportunity attacks on the move actually makes this flavor well as the Destreza Lunge from classic fencing.
The above inspired in part by @Xeviat

one might even give the to hit a bonus based the tertiary attribute (Int/Wis/Cha) but 5e likes damage more than adjusting that. The problem with mental attributes on maneuvers might be poachability.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Just a design thought.
It occured to me that that To Hit bonus is actually a generally good way to compensate situational powers... ie their situation doesn't come up very often so when they do they need to do their thing (giving them a reliability bump)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
About Exertions
In another thread about getting more out of HD the thought of spending an HD to grant a CS die came up, in other words spending an HD in trade for a CS die to gain a superiority effect. And looking at Rally and thinking ok yes actually.

Risky maneuvering where you grant an adjacent enemy an opportunity attack to boost yours subsequently with a maneuver (CS die effect) is another easily visualized alternative.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Hmm as I was thinking on this I wonder if some of this could also be leveraged to make the Eldritch Knight a better swordmage. Use the same paradigm of spending your extra attacks to boost spells or enable teleportation blinks.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
So far this has all been about making the Fighter better and particularly the Battlemaster - better as in mostly more versatile . I keep putting off writing it up cleanly in part because some ideas like using multiple attacks to better expand area of effect and the like do not feel like a fully fleshed thing yet and other excuses I suppose.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
So far this has all been about making the Fighter better and particularly the Battlemaster - better as in mostly more versatile . I keep putting off writing it up cleanly in part because some ideas like using multiple attacks to better expand area of effect and the like do not feel like a fully fleshed thing yet and other excuses I suppose.
I hear ya. I lost a bunch of work on the classes I was building, and felt like I was at least halfway to something worth putting on DMsGuild, and now I keep finding excuses to not work on any of it.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Idea that is and isnt battlemaster like....

I had an idea that plays off of something someone mentioned in PF2 @Campbell martial types handle the action economy better in this case its about getting more done a fighter able to do an intimidate as an attack would have an incredibly versatile ability ie - not just that singular fear effect any reasonable thing - drop your weapon or I am going to do something obscene with it could in a social environment used on a leader type forstall an unnecessary fight. It seems a 5e way to do things like when a rogue can take a cunning action.
The rogue gets his extra dose of mobility potentially anytime he wants with a bonus move but that is less flexible. Being able to do intimidation as an attack could be many effects a cool one might be like offering surrender at weapon point (you do not actually damage them but make them know absolutely for certain you would very much have hit them and you now have advantage additionally if the attack would have killed them they will probably actually surrender )

I know my players would like a tactically sound offering surrender for roleplaying fun.

Vuman Fighter (BM) - Feats: Inspiring Leader, Tandem Tactician (UA)*

S 15(16)
D 8
C 12
I 10
W 11
Ch 15(16)

Fighting style: Protection (reaction to shield nearby ally granting disadvantage on the attack roll against them)

BM Manouvers: Commanders Strike, Manoeuvring Attack, Rally

Tandem Tactician

Your presence in a scrap tends to elevate your comrades. You gain the following benefits:
• You can use the Help action as a bonus action.
• When you use the Help action to aid an ally in attacking a creature, increase the range of the Help action by 10 feet. Additionally, you can help two allies targeting the same creature within range when you use the Help action this way.

1. Use your bonus action each round to Help 2 allies within range.
  2. Use your reaction each round to shield one of them with your shield
  3. During a Short rest, inspire everyone for Temp HP
  4. Use manoeuvring attack to get your friends into position, Rally to grant extra Temp HP as needed, and Commanders strike to allow allies extra attacks.
From there, I suggest 7 levels in Crown Paladin, for all the usual Paladin goodies (including Charisma to saves aura), Bless, bonus action AoE healing from Turn the Tide, and the ability to take hits for your allies (Plus its thematic and fluffs AF).

If you can spare a Dex of 13, I really REALLY like the remaining 8 levels in Bard (Dirge Singer from the new Eberron book is perfect). Bardic inspiration, song of rest, more slots for smites, Expertise in History and Persuasion, and the Dirge Singer Archetype feature letting you hand out Bardic Inspiration to multiple friends at once, the Guidance cantrip to help Skill checks, and the Commanding Voice ability at 6th level granting your allies even MORE extra attacks.

Fluff your spells as 'Martial manoeuvres' or whatnot, and take thematic ones (Charm person, Bless, Champions challenge, Find Steed, Command, Calm emotions, Enhance Ability, Suggestion, Catnap, Fear, Compulsion etc)

If that's not a Warlord, I dont know what is.

Remove ads