D&D 5E Why Not? A Variant Captain Fighter

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I am a bit despondent about success at properly enriching the 5e fighter in a manner It seems like it ought to be. 5e stripped out a lot of handles , like that charge and marking. I looked at the Cavalier closer and it looks like its not nearly as capable of defender in many ways even at high level as a level 1 4e fighter. For example you know how come and get it is cool? Look at this one charge into a bunch of enemies and mark all of them around you. There is no real way to even give the Cavalier something simple like this.
View attachment 119758
Why not simply make a maneuver that marks every enemy within 10ft of you?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Cavaliers do not have Maneuvers without a feat to access... in effect design wise they gave them up for the defender abilities they have built in.
Use the UA fighting style that grants maneuvers.
Also a lot of per short rest power is packed into Action Surge. Make a variant option to trade it for 3 superiority Dice and 4 manuevers known.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Use the UA fighting style that grants maneuvers.
?
Also a lot of per short rest power is packed into Action Surge. Make a variant option to trade it for 3 superiority Dice and 4 manuevers known.
hmmm good point but I think balance wise it scales like your extra attacks it adds 1 superiority die when its gained and 1 each time you gain an extra attack. So at level 5 you have 2 superiority die and know three maneuvers and by 11, 3 superiority die and know 4

That is only for one surge... so I am off if you use all your surges tada we get more out of it indeed.

This is actually a perfect idea what if you could use a Kata or Training Sequence to convert your Action Surge into CS die and focus maneuvers in in advance of the situation you can spend an 1/2 hour training to do it ie... yes you know more than you have have been focusing on? but if you exert in a morning exercise you get more later.

@doctorbadwolf thanks for bringing that up ... lets not give up the Action Surge let's make an ability to dynamically choose that is how you want to go with it.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Why not simply make a maneuver that marks every enemy within 10ft of you?
you know what why not now that we have some significant thematically appropriate ways for a subclass fighter to get some of these maneuvers we can just put defender themed ones in... so that a Cavalier will better compete with the Weaponmaster

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Can a maneuver modify second wind so that it affects allies? Well why not? Or honestly is it really a problem if it just does... I am thinking we are already eating some of the subclasses with this idea anyhow.
Hmmm I guess I have been trying to not eat subclasses but rather make them work even better...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases