D&D 5E Why not Alternity? (Or, will or how might WotC do SF?)

Sithlord

Adventurer
I lived playing the 1e Gamma World back in the early 80s, but never got into the later editions. Is 2028 the 40th anniversary of it? Something that did a update of Gamma World (with something harkening back to the original map, and notes about the various editions and artwork from them) is something I might get. The setting also feels like it might d20 better than any of the other sci-fi ones.
Love Gamma World. Love 1E. Love 4E and the others are pretty good too

Reynard

Legend
I don't see it happening. Creating a new Sci-fi game would cost more money and time than creating another D&D suppliment book. And it would make less money in return. So why would WotC take a risk like that when they can keep with a proven product line.

I think they will just leave it to 3rd party publishers to make such products. There are already a large number of 5e compatible Sci-fi products out there, some of which sell well but nowhere near the levels of official WotC books.
The cost of developing a TTRPG is next to nothing compared to developing a CRPG and WotC is doing that. I think you think we are still dealing with 2014 "we don't know if there is still life in rpgs" WotC. We are clearly beyond that stage.

Retreater

Legend
A fluke? That's an interesting characterization. Care to elaborate?
Sure. Star Wars has been in a spiral since The Force Awakens. Solo lost money. Each of the Skywalker Saga films performed worse in the box office than the previous one. They pretty much scrapped all merchandise for Rise of Skywalker. Star Wars toy sales have gone so bad that Wizards of the Coast is now Hasbro's cash cow.
So my job for the past six years has been working directly with children, teens, and families. Star Wars has been a dead brand. The books have dropped off. They have cancelled numerous releases. When there are books, they languish on shelves (whereas superhero or Disney books fly off).
Fewer people turn out to "Star Wars" themed events (well, when we were able to have them).

Thomas Shey

Legend
Also, @Ruin Explorer, I think you're underestimating how popular Dark Matter was as a setting. It might have had some right-wing taste to it (which is liable to be true of any conspiracy-centric game) but it was pretty well thought of at the time. I suspect had it been supported more extensively (and not with a system that died on the vine) it'd been a solid second-tier setting.

Remove ads