D&D 5E Why the claim of combat and class balance between the classes is mainly a forum issue. (In my opinion)

XunValdorl_of_Kilsek

Banned
Banned
(1)

Huh? D&D wrote the least gamist edition of D&D ever - namely, 4e - and the edition of D&D with the greatest extent of "narrativist" (= non-process sim, FitM?) mechanics - still 4e - and is now trying to recover from the experience! I don't think they're going to go down that path again, and insofar as the 4e experiment was a commercial failure, it shows that the D&D audience is not interested in the sort of game you are describing.

Wut? Least gamist? I honestly can't believe you have the neck to even say that. 4th edition is "the" most gamist edition of D&D ever. Encounter powers, healing surges, full healing through non-magic in a matter of minutes, just to name a few. Opening the books, setting out your character sheets, placing your miniatures, and then sitting back and telling a story does not make a game a narrative one. If that is your definition then I would make Tic Tac Toe a narrative game, or even chess.

It is apparent from the failure of 4th edition that people don't want the gamist experience. They want more of a traditional D&D that allows you to set the focus whether it's combat, a little of both, or more non-combat.

Wut? Least gamist? I honestly can't believe you have the neck to even say that. 4th edition is "the" most gamist edition of D&D ever. Encounter powers, healing surges, full healing through non-magic in a matter of minutes, just to name a few.

Those are all reasons 4e is the best simulation of narrative fiction that D&D has ever been. Previous editions of D&D have had fighters who didn't get tired and hit points with no shock penalty, and no recovery - and a hard threshold between 1 hit point (alive and fighting at full strength) and 0 hit points (unable to do very much and no recovery). Encounter powers and healing surges aren't necessarily a great simulation of either fiction or real life - but they are ridiculously closer to both than D&D has ever had before.

As for full healing through non-magic in a matter of minutes, that's a misunderstanding. There is, as far as I know, no way of fully healing an injured character in a matter of minutes without magic. If they are down healing surges, they are still hurt. But like Indiana Jones (or any other action hero), they can be bruised and battered one scene and back up and kicking the next even if they are still covered in bandages.

Just because combat resolution requires the most rules does not mean D&D is based around combat, if it is that way for you and yours, well, I am sorry.

Firstly, combat resolution doesn't require the most rules. There are plenty of games where combat resolution has no more rules than any other form of resolution. Secondly, you've managed to selectively quote me so it appears I was making the statement I was actively posting to disagree with.

As I said in the post you quoted from, before 4e about 40% of the pages of all PHBs were made up of spells (roughly consistent across 1e, 2e, 3.0, and 3.5 - with the Rules Cyclopaedia being an honourable exception at around 10% - or 30 pages out of 300, with the 4e PHB spending 20 pages on rituals out of 300). If we're looking at the pagecount, we can run with the theory that D&D is about spells, and in particular using magic to overcome challenges. This is reinforced by the nature of spells like Fly not presenting additional complications (like dealing with cross-winds) but only having the drawback that when they run out or get dispelled you fall. And other such complete lacks of drawbacks if the spells work in D&D.

And from that perspective 4e very much did change the game. Especially as there was a lot of flavour and worldbuilding in the spells themselves.

XunValdorl_of_Kilsek

Banned
Banned
Those are all reasons 4e is the best simulation of narrative fiction that D&D has ever been. Previous editions of D&D have had fighters who didn't get tired and hit points with no shock penalty, and no recovery - and a hard threshold between 1 hit point (alive and fighting at full strength) and 0 hit points (unable to do very much and no recovery). Encounter powers and healing surges aren't necessarily a great simulation of either fiction or real life - but they are ridiculously closer to both than D&D has ever had before.

As for full healing through non-magic in a matter of minutes, that's a misunderstanding. There is, as far as I know, no way of fully healing an injured character in a matter of minutes without magic. If they are down healing surges, they are still hurt. But like Indiana Jones (or any other action hero), they can be bruised and battered one scene and back up and kicking the next even if they are still covered in bandages.

I disagree.

The reason I disagree is because there were many instances at every single game we played that when it came to describing certain things we couldn't do it. We just had to shake our heads, ignore the fact that we couldn't explain what happened even in a fantasy way and just left it at that. Turned a lot of us off the game.

I disagree.

The reason I disagree is because there were many instances at every single game we played that when it came to describing certain things we couldn't do it. We just had to shake our heads, ignore the fact that we couldn't explain what happened even in a fantasy way and just left it at that. Turned a lot of us off the game.

This is because hit points without consequences make no sense at all. None in the slightest. They are a purely, completely, 100% gamist abstraction. At 1hp the character is every bit as competent and able as they were at full hit points; they are not notably impaired in the slightest. They have precisely one advantage - you don't have to engage with them much. 4e Healing Surges cause problems because hit points have precisely one virtue. They never make you think about them. When you think about them they make no sense, but this is very easy to ignore. Despite being much, much more realistic a hit point model (although 4e should have called Hit Points Stun, and Healing Surges Hit Points) because you manipulate them they are much harder to ignore. So although the gaps are smaller they're much more clearly signposted. By being less gamist, 4e holds up the simulation and it's this signposting that causes peoples' suspension of disbelief to crack.

pemerton

Legend
combat resolution requires the most rules
Why do you say this? As [MENTION=87792]Neonchameleon[/MENTION] points out, there is no reason why combat can't be just one deployment of a uniform action resolution mechanics (eg HeroWar/Quest), or even a subordinate form of conflict resolution compared to other styles (arguably The Dying Earth, which puts greater weight on argumenation).

Wut? Least gamist? I honestly can't believe you have the neck to even say that. 4th edition is "the" most gamist edition of D&D ever.
As far as I can tell, you are using "gamist" to mean "has metagame mechanics". [MENTION=85870]innerdude[/MENTION] was (as far as I can tell) using it in the sense that The Forge does, and I was replying in like terms. Look at my exchange with [MENTION=6688937]Ratskinner[/MENTION] a few posts up if you are unclear as to what that means (Ratskinner correctly understood my meaning, although did not agree with my claim).

Ratskinner

Adventurer
I wondered if that would be controversial!

I was thinking of classic Gygaxian D&D as the most gamist: the whole "skilled play" thing, and the notion that in a porperly run game PC level is a rough proxy for player skill.

Oh I wouldn't argue that. 1e is, I would think, not only the most gamist, but also IIRC the only explicitly gamist incarnation of the game.

I agree that 3E is the most process-sim, but @LostSoul and others have persuaded me that 4e is perhaps the best adapted to high-concept sim. (Let's find out what it's like to be heroes with an epic destiny awaiting us.

hmm...interesting idea. I'm not sure that I agree, but its an interesting idea. Although, in a bigger sense, I'm starting to doubt the whole concept of simulationism in rpgs.

And 4e doesn't have the same opportunites as 3E for gamist play in build, because of its greater mechanical rigour and transparency on both player and GM side; nor the same opportunity for gamist play in either XP or treasure acquisition (the DMG description of these as "rewards" is a clear misnomer, given tha acquisition of treasure is simply a function of levels ie XP, and XP are earned automatically for playing the game).

I'd need a fair bit of convincing that rigor and transparency act as detriments to gamist play. Wargames, for example, are often long on both and quite gamist (obviously). There exist folks who use the 4e mechanics with a few tweaks to play a very competitive "Old-School" game. I can't see how more regulated rewards makes them any less rewards. Sure, it takes an element of chance out of the game (that is, a recent OSR game I played in kinda disintegrated after two very fortunate sets of rolls on the random treasure tables.) However, I tend to see it as primarily a shift in frequency and potency. If anything, it makes 4e a better gamist game, because your character + stuff even more directly reflects your accomplishments with that character, rather than random rolls on a chart.

The inadequacy of 4e as a D&D gamist vehicle is visible, for instance, in the frequent criticism that D&Dnext is meant to "fix", that gaining levels and finding +1 swords and in general getting bigger numbers doesn't actualluy make your PC any better because everything scales up. (In the fiction, of course, your PC is getting better, so this is not a criticism from the high-concept sim side. It is a criticism from the gamist side.)

I'm not sure how you figure that (and I dread to bring this up). Look at any of the Mario Bros games, now turn one into a tabletop game. They certainly aren't Nar or Sim, they are almost purely gamist. Similar to your note about 1e, what level can you get to is a measure of player skill, not character skill. Yet Mario doesn't get substantially more effective as the game goes on (temporary power ups notwithstanding). The only thing that changes as you progress in Mario levels is the complexity of the levels. 4e can, to some extent, be played in a very similar vein. From my point of view, its regulated to play that way (at least "rules-as-suggested"). You will receive these benefits as you level up for precisely the reason of maintaining a specific challenge level while we tour a bunch of "levels/tiers" with different trappings/flavor...a very gamist concept indeed, that treadmill. At least AFAICT.

Consider also intra-class balance. From what I can tell, this is a purely gamist concept, because its measured directly against that challenge level from above. Its also not (from what I can tell) incompatible with the 1e take on gamism, which include tacit admissions that playing a Fighter is "easy mode" and playing thief or wizard is "hard mode" or "normal mode" (which is which seems to vary a bit between the editions and presentations). The wizard player receives his rewards of power for surviving all those low levels at a much higher difficulty setting than the fighter player. The difference is not one of gamism, but of design choice in how to affect it best.

You might think that challenge or difficulty level is not Gamist, but I can't see how it isn't. For the (pure) Sim player, the world just is, and I'm exploring it. It may be terrible and gritty, or it may be rainbows and unicorns, but its just there. If I am correctly experiencing the world as my character would (living the dream), then there is no "fair" except as he would experience it. For the pure Narrative player...heck, there are Narrativist games where victory is a foregone conclusion and the players are merely dickering over how the victory happens. Difficulty or challenge is merely flavor for such a player. (Of course, no real player is such a purist in TTRPGs, at least IME.)

By "failure" I meant "less successful than necessary to be sustained", so on that I think we're agreed.

On fragmentation - I think the audience was always fairly diverse. The present fragmentation is a new commercial state of affairs (because of the emergence of PF, and the commercial effects of the OGL/SRD more generally) but I don't know that it's a new state of affairs as far as the preferences and styles of the player base are concerned.

I tend to agree. I think D&D, as the "big one" seems to gravitate toward the middle of the "triangle". Whenever it jaunts off away from any of the poles (whether with a new edition or not) it seems much less well-received. To my view, the game started off very Gamist with a dash of Sim, and stumbled backwards into Narrativism. Fans of the newly discovered Narrativism dragged through kicking and screaming into 2e...where its shortcomings stood out. 3e doubled down on Sim(ish) things and kicked Narrativism and Gamism to the curb. 4e (in so many ways) tried to be the anti-3e, and so tossed 3e's Simishness to the side. 5e seems....well I dunno. To me, it looks like its abandoned all three agendas with the intent of providing a good simple vehicle for a group of geeky buddies to hang around a table and goof off while occasionally generating good stories as they pretend to be elves, etc. Which, honestly is maybe the best thing.

Oh I wouldn't argue that. 1e is, I would think, not only the most gamist, but also IIRC the only explicitly gamist incarnation of the game.

I disagree - but only on a technicality. I'd count OD&D and B/X as more gamist than 1e.

hmm...interesting idea. I'm not sure that I agree, but its an interesting idea. Although, in a bigger sense, I'm starting to doubt the whole concept of simulationism in rpgs.

Have a look at the Powered by the Apocalypse games sometime. Apocalypse World and especially Monsterhearts. Also Marvel Heroic Roleplaying and Fiasco. But those are genre sims rather than process sims.

To me, it looks like its abandoned all three agendas with the intent of providing a good simple vehicle for a group of geeky buddies to hang around a table and goof off while occasionally generating good stories as they pretend to be elves, etc. Which, honestly is maybe the best thing.

That may be true. But D&D Next isn't even close to being as good a goofing off and generating stories D&D as Dungeon World. (It's very hard to beat Dungeon World at that).

Why do you say this? As @Neonchameleon points out, there is no reason why combat can't be just one deployment of a uniform action resolution mechanics (eg HeroWar/Quest), or even a subordinate form of conflict resolution compared to other styles (arguably The Dying Earth, which puts greater weight on argumenation).
).

It is certainly not a requirement. I think most people find they do require more rules for combat than other aspects of play, so a game that isn't necessarily about combat(or at least isn't focused on it more than other things) could contain mainly combat rules (but still might be an investigative game or something).

Remove ads