• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Why the resistance to D&D being a game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oofta

Legend
If it does, and it isn't limited to what I feel is realistic, then I don't like it either.

Just being honest here.

It's a battlemaster maneuver that after you hit someone they have disadvantage to hit anyone else if they fail a wisdom save. I don't care for it either. Battlemaster is a subclass that has some borderline supernatural abilities that aren't called out as such unlike, say, Rune Knight.

Isn't the disadvantage because they're behaving a certain way? I mean, what else is it caused by?

But what causes the disadvantage? Because they're focusing all their ire on the fighter who attacked them?

But then how does that fit with mindless automata, with your super-disciplined guards, etc?
I think wis save is enough to account discipline. After all, the guards will merely distracted but are not forced to abandon their posts etc. And yes, this shouldn’t affect mindless creatures but does. Keyword system would help here. In any case, this power is less likely to cause weird situations than the one proposed earlier.

Last edited:

Xetheral

Three-Headed Sirrush
Worrying about whether "a person without supernatural abilities can accomplish it" is to me, trying to make a fantasy game fixed on the real world, instead of the fantasy genre.

Fafhrd could do this. Inigo Montoya could do this. Zorro could do this (and isn't even a fantasy hero!). Galavant could do this. Locke Lamora could do this. None of these characgters "use magic" in any overt sense. But, they live in worlds that are larger than life. It is genre appropriate for them to be able to do this.

The measure of magic is not the real world, but the genre you are aiming for. IMHO.
While I entirely agree with you that the ability to taunt foes into initiating violence is genre-appropriate for heroic fiction (fantasy or otherwise), the proposed ability mechanically does far more than that, by specifying the form of that violence.

Is it really just "larger than life", for example, if the ability causes Jabba (if he fails his wisdom save) to get down off his throne platform and slither over to physically attack the character using the ability, rather than just dropping them into the rancor pit or ordering the guards to shoot the character? Or causes C-3PO to unlock the door he's cowering behind and shuffle over to try to physically hit the character?

Thematically the ability to taunt foes to the point of violence isn't necessarily supernatural. But if a specific mechanical implementation can easily cause in-universe results which are implausible even within the context of the fiction, at some point doesn't such an ability start measuring up to the in-genre definition of magic?

Even if we can agree that such a point exists, however, where exactly that point lies probably varies wildly from person to person. And I think that connects this side discussion back to the OP: even acknowledging that D&D is a game, people will have different preferences for how game-like they want it to feel. And the more abilities (or other mechanics) there are that are ostensibly merely larger than life, but that can easily produce results in the fiction implausible enough to qualify (to that individual) as magic or supernatural in-genre, the more game-like it is going to feel.

redwullf

Explorer
I think the OP is referring to arguments about design aesthetics that seem "gamey" to some people. It pops up from time to time in the martial/caster balance discussions. There will occasionally be people arguing that, for example, you can't give martial classes abilities that reset on a long rest or short rest or whatever, because it's not "realistic" to have abilities with limited uses.
The Bride kills and maims dozens of people, but only uses the Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique one time…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads