Wielding 2 Rapiers, Longswords, etc

Paragon

Wielder of the Power Cosmic
I have a question about wielding 2 medium sized weapons at the same time. Ok here we go.
I am wondering about wielding 2 med sized weapons, with 2 weapon fighting and ambidex. takes it down to -4/-4 correct? Ok the trouble I am having is i can wield a rapier/dagger everythings cool. rapier/hand-axe, everythings cool. rapier/rapier, not cool. what about size you say? The "dwarven" sized lance is listed as a small weapon, you could wield one if your off hand but it weighs more than a rapier. My points? well I'm thinking about houseruling off hand weapons to weapons at a certain weight or under. Say 5 lbs or less. This opens the door to having a mithiril longsword you can wield in your off hand because it is so light and well made.
Also, idea #2 is taking the monkey grip skill with lets say a great sword. ok you can wield a greatsword in one hand. According to the PHB you can wield a weapon in your off hand one size catagory smaller than you can wield in one hand at the -2/-2 penalty on the 2 weapon/ambidex chart. This is more of a "legal" way to do it but costs an extra feat to do so, but at this point you could wield 2 bastard swords (with the bastard sword exotic feat of course).
Thoughts, comments, does any of this make sense or have I been at work at to long today? ;)

Paragon

Crothian

First Post
I don't think this is needed. The general rule of a medium weapon in your off hand is a rule put in for game balance. Medium weapons are usually more powerful then small weapons.

However, if you really want to do this, I'd create a new feat.

Off Hand Superior Striking (or whatever you want to call it)
Prerequistes: Ambisexterity, 2 Weapon Fighting, Weapon Focus, Dex 15+, Str 15+, BAB 6+
Benefit: Choose one weapon you have weapon focus in and can weld in one hand. When you weld this weapon in your off hand it counts as one size smaller (medium counts as a small weapon).
Special: THis feat may be taken multiple times. Its effects do not stack, each time selct a new weapon you have Weapon Focus in.

The prerequites are a little steep, but that's because this allows a Bastard Sword as a light weapon. And that makes it a powerful feat.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Also, idea #2 is taking the monkey grip skill with lets say a great sword. ok you can wield a greatsword in one hand. According to the PHB you can wield a weapon in your off hand one size catagory smaller than you can wield in one hand at the -2/-2 penalty on the 2 weapon/ambidex chart. This is more of a "legal" way to do it but costs an extra feat to do so, but at this point you could wield 2 bastard swords (with the bastard sword exotic feat of course).

The obvious problem with this, of course, is that Monkey Grip by itself incurs a -2 penalty.

So if you wanted to rule that because he can use a Greatsword in one hand (at a -2 penalty) that a Bastard Sword counts as a light weapon, that's up to you... but the bastard sword being used as a light weapon should also incur the -2 penalty.

So someone with Ambi, 2WF, and EWP Bastard Sword can fight with two of them at -4/-4. By this line of reasoning, someone with Monkey Grip as well could use them at -2/-4, because the off-hand Bastard Sword (used as a light weapon) incurs the Monkey-Grip penalty, while the primary hand sword (used as a medium weapon) does not.

-Hyp.

Paragon

Wielder of the Power Cosmic
Whew CRG,
There for a minute I thought I was going to get constructive well thought out suggestions. Thanks for the post dude!!! :)

Paragon

Gilrion

First Post
While the small lance is ludicrous (which incidentally reminds me of the character Ludicrous Lance, from IUDC) it is not only weight that hinders you when fighting with two weapons. If both weapons are large, you will have a harder time wielding them simultaneously. Try picking up two large rulers or what-have you. It's harder, they get in the way of each other.

Outergod

First Post
Crothian said:
I don't think this is needed. The general rule of a medium weapon in your off hand is a rule put in for game balance. Medium weapons are usually more powerful then small weapons.

However, if you really want to do this, I'd create a new feat.

Off Hand Superior Striking (or whatever you want to call it)
Prerequistes: Ambisexterity, 2 Weapon Fighting, Weapon Focus, Dex 15+, Str 15+, BAB 6+
Benefit: Choose one weapon you have weapon focus in and can weld in one hand. When you weld this weapon in your off hand it counts as one size smaller (medium counts as a small weapon).
Special: THis feat may be taken multiple times. Its effects do not stack, each time selct a new weapon you have Weapon Focus in.

The prerequites are a little steep, but that's because this allows a Bastard Sword as a light weapon. And that makes it a powerful feat.

Crothian, that is a GREAT Feat idea. Do you actually use that or did you just come up with it in response to the original post? I'm wondering if it unbalanced anything...

Outergod

Crothian

First Post
First of all, thank you for the compliment. Second, that is totally off the top of my head in response to the thread.

So, it hasn't been playtested but I think it's balanced. The prerequisites are pretty tough. But I'd hate to run into a sixth level fighter with this feat and everything else he has.

Remove ads