• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Wildshape tactics

Snapdragyn

Explorer
What we know so far:

Circle of the Moon druid can wildshape into higher CR creatures. Max CR is 1 at level 2, and becomes level/3 at level 6. At level 10 they can change into an elemental (presumably with the same CR limits).

To me, the CR limit seems pretty limiting (SWIDT?) for anything other than a slightly beefier scouting function on the face of it. However, I think there are some combat possibilities here, considering the following points:

The druid can self-heal while wildshaped, 2d8/level of spell slot expended, as a bonus action. This works out to be a more efficient use of healing than regular casting of a spell to heal, since a regular action (such as an attack) could still be taken.

The druid is able to choose to leave some of their gear unmerged & still wear it in the new form (where the DM allows & it makes sense, of course - doubt we'll see many rings on fishies! :p ). This could provide some useful little boosts to some forms.

Finally, and this is IMO the big one - although the CR limit is substantially lower than the druid's level, the hp lost while wildshaped do not come from the druid's regular hp reserve (unless reduced to 0 while wildshaped - in that case anything beyond the amount leading to 0 would carry over). Thus, each wildshape is basically a pool of reserve hp! (If you've played GW2, this makes me think of the necro's 'lich' ability.)

So, a couple of combat uses come to mind:

1) Use those hp pools! Wildshape, plow into battle, pull out & drop form when you're about to get knocked to 0 in beastie shape - boom, back to your regular druid hp!

2) Get sneaky! Conjure some creatures in one round. Next round, wildshape into the same form as them & run around amongst them to 'shell game' confuse the enemy! Druid version of magic mirror - but your 'images' are real & doing damage!

jadrax

Adventurer
From the starter set, a Giant Spider is a Challenge 1 Beast, has 4d10 Hit Dice and is all around pretty horrid.

I would happily use that as a Combat Form at level 2.

The only other Beasts in the Starter set are the Stirge (can't use at low levels, it's flying) and Wolf (CR 1/4, 2d8 Hit Dice).

But in general stuff seems to have around at least double the Hit Dice of their Challenge. Which is not that bad at all.

Snapdragyn

Explorer
From the starter set, a Giant Spider is a Challenge 1 Beast, has 4d10 Hit Dice and is all around pretty horrid.

I would happily use that as a Combat Form at level 2.

The only other Beasts in the Starter set are the Stirge (can't use at low levels, it's flying) and Wolf (CR 1/4, 2d8 Hit Dice).

But in general stuff seems to have around at least double the Hit Dice of their Challenge. Which is not that bad at all.

Oooh, didn't know that! Eeexcellent!

Sacrosanct

Legend
jadrax is exactly right. Don't let the CR = level/3 thing give you a false assumption that the creature will be weak.

For example, a level 9 druid can change into an owlbear* (7d10+21 HP, 2 attacks: 1d10+5, 2d8+5) That's pretty decent, especially if said druid can also heal while shapechanged and then change back to regular with no loss of HP.

*well, not technically an owlbear, but a beast of equal value. just using owlbear as a reference point

Jeph

Explorer
I'm pretty sure that in 5th ed, CR X means "Can challenge a whole party of Xth level", rather than "About equivalent to a character of Xth level."

MarkB

Legend
So a CR 6 beast will be a good form for a level 20 druid? We'll have to wait and see.

I guess an interesting thought experiment would be: What CR is a 20th level character?

That is, if you put a single 20th level character up against an entire party, what's the minimum level for that party to not be steamrolled and have a decent chance of winning?

Joe Liker

First Post
I guess an interesting thought experiment would be: What CR is a 20th level character?

That is, if you put a single 20th level character up against an entire party, what's the minimum level for that party to not be steamrolled and have a decent chance of winning?

I think you would find that, against PCs, your results would vary widely based on the class of the level 20 -- and the classes of the low-level party, for that matter,

Snapdragyn

Explorer
I think you would find that, against PCs, your results would vary widely based on the class of the level 20 -- and the classes of the low-level party, for that matter,

Hmm, this would be interesting.

To keep it in line with what a wildshaped druid can do, let's say the 20th is a fighter (or maybe barbarian)? Make the party the classic 4-person fighter, rogue, cleric, wizard. Go! :)

Remove ads