• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Will Arnett to voice the new KITT

Ranger REG

Explorer
Olgar Shiverstone said:
My wife's first comment: "KITT is NOT a Mustang!"
It is now. :cool:

Olgar Shiverstone said:
You could definitely tell Ford had paid for the product placements ... as every vehicle you saw had a blue oval.
Nothing wrong with that.

I'm sure GMC -- parent company of the Pontiac division, maker of Firebirds -- enjoyed its product placement benefit during the original Knight Rider series run.

Ranger REG said:
Nothing wrong with that.

I'm sure GMC -- parent company of the Pontiac division, maker of Firebirds -- enjoyed its product placement benefit during the original Knight Rider series run.

True ... it just seemed less obvious. Guess I've become old (I was always cynical).

Arnwyn

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:
We watched the first hour, but decided it was poop after the first 30 minutes. Which is sad, because my wife & I were both fans of the original show.

My wife's first comment: "KITT is NOT a Mustang!"
Ah... the call of the elderly! (I kid, I kid!) ;)

We enjoyed it well enough - my wife even more than me, as she was a big fan of the original (I liked the original too, but not quite as much as my wife.) As soon as the familiar tune started at the beginning (remixed for the "modern" audience, of course), we were hooked. There were loads of flaws (stupid "hip" music playing during certain scenes, the whole "ex-gf/bf" angle, and certain cheesiness with the nanotech), but we liked it overall. It's a talking car!

I despise Ford and their idiotic product placement (much like Transformers and GM, in which all the Autobots were among the worst cars in existence), but it comes with the territory, so I had already prepared for the inevitable... :D

Ranger REG

Explorer
Arnwyn said:
I despise Ford and their idiotic product placement (much like Transformers and GM, in which all the Autobots were among the worst cars in existence), but it comes with the territory, so I had already prepared for the inevitable... :D
Well, the slogan is "Robots in Disguise." How can they effectively be in disguise if they look like cars whose makes and models are unfamiliar to Earthlings? Duh.

You should also blame VW (former automakers of Nazi Germany) for not participating (hence the change in Bumblebee's vehicle) because they thought Transformers is too violent for their image.

Let's face it, shows that based around a star vehicle like Knight Rider is nothing more than a one-hour sponsored commercial.

Arnwyn

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Well, the slogan is "Robots in Disguise." How can they effectively be in disguise if they look like cars whose makes and models are unfamiliar to Earthlings? Duh.
But the Decepticons rocked, so I'm not following you. Of course, I was specific about "GM", so the point of your post is lost on me.

You should also blame VW (former automakers of Nazi Germany) for not participating (hence the change in Bumblebee's vehicle) because they thought Transformers is too violent for their image.
I thought it was due to GM's product placement, along with Bay's "revisioning".

frankthedm

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Going for the Godwin?
Ranger REG said:
Let's face it, shows that based around a star vehicle like Knight Rider is nothing more than a one-hour sponsored commercial.
Yeah.

Keep Kitt an 80's car and devote some of the show to finding replacement parts.

frankthedm said:
Going for the Godwin?

I don't think that was his point. In fact, that's exactly the reason that was given, back when news of the VW-to-Camaro news first hit the net. And VW has made that same decision before (i.e. keeping their products out of violent/war-themed movies, due to their violent past).

Henry

Autoexreginated
I liked it, myself. Val Kilmer as KITT was sufficiently soothing and creepy at the same time. :) As a friend put it, he used the "Batman" voice for it. Perfect for an AI who sometimes performs some rather amoral actions to get the job done.

EDIT: I also just found out that Knight Rider picked up a 5.0 share, and made the highest rating for a TV movie in three years, meaning it looks good for them for a series pickup.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads