• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Will you buy 4th edition?

Will you buy 4th edition?

• I will buy it sight unseen

Votes: 222 50.9%
  • I might buy it, after initial reviews

Votes: 74 17.0%
  • I probably will not buy it, but might eventually

Votes: 75 17.2%
  • I absolutely will not buy it

Votes: 43 9.9%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 22 5.0%

Arkhandus

First Post
Not bloody likely. :mad:

But then, if everyone around me somehow gets caught up in 4E for some reason and refuses to play anything else, I might just have to give up and play 4E with them. But only if they really won't play anything else. If they wouldn't continue playing 3E with me, then I'd still much rather play a great game like Shadowrun rather than 4E D&D.

I understand some of the 4E design decisions, but I still don't agree with the direction they're taking it. They'll need to seriously rethink their decisions and make some drastic changes and updates later on to make 4E even marginally appealing to folks like me, who don't agree with their MMO-emulation, wierd naming policies, and nonsensical twisting of the Core Rules into some wierd, alternate game rather than actual Core Rules for any and every D&D game, not just the ones that fit their new little pet-project setting.

Mistwell said:
You know it's funny. The votes show MORE people plan on buying it than did the last time this poll was taken, and more have gone from maybe to yes for sure. But the individual posts about not buying it have increased.

Which is telling I think.

Well, personally it would be difficult for me to be more excited about 4E.

Everything I've seen so far from the design philosophy, to the previews, to the way it relates to the tradition of the game has me really excited.

I think they seem to be doing a very deliberate and great job bringing the game through an evolutionary step to the next upgrade. It seems like the first edition where they've actually begun to work with the idea that upgrading the game is a part of the game itself now, so they don't need to risk it all in one roll they can put out the rules they're sure of and then let the rest come as its ready.

It's a multi-course meal rather than the buffet of 3ED or the family platter of 2ed, and I'm really really happy they're doing this.

But I tend not to post about it, because:

• I'm feeling the love, and I don't really see the need to engage with the hate when I'm in that frame of mind. In this thread alone we have people migrating in from other forums to talk about how much angst they have over this game, and, honestly, it's not that I think I'm less motivated than they are it's just that I'm not at all motivated to deal with their issues. I can understand the fear of being left behind or the rage about seeing the things you loved about prior editions be challenged, but I don't think that's happening and I don't want to be an RPG counselor. Or an RPG apologist for that matter constantly defending the new system or attacking the people who challenge it.

• I'd rather talk about the game than how anyone feels about it in total. That goes for my love as much as anyone else's hate.

Sylrae

First Post
I chose "I probably will not buy it, but might eventually", as its the closest fit. The actual answer is I will wait till a friend buys it, swipe his book for a few days and decide if its worth the effort. so far there are a bunch of things I wont like, like dropping gnomes, but we'll see. If I get it I will have read the book thoroughly. (my regular policy is I skim it and look at feats, classes and such before I buy a book - without damaging the spine).
D&D books cost me so much of my money that I wont buy them without knowing that I like them. I'm a student. 50$ is like 2 weeks of stuff to do. so a new D&D book means I dont go out doing anythign that costs money for 2 weeks - it needs to b worth it.
If I get a decent part time job and have money to waste, I may buy the book without reading it, but probably not.

Melan

Explorer
At this point, I can say with a 99.99% probability that I will not buy any of the core rulebooks. I will, however, pick up the first module or two to see where adventure writing is going nowadays. I find that early adventures can "define" an edition to an extent later offerings are unable to.

delericho

Legend
In the previous poll, I voted "I will buyt sight unseen".

Things have changed significantly since then. The previews have been leaving me more and more disheartened as we go, to the extent that at times I have found myself wondering if the people at Wizards even know what they're doing. (I'm sorry, but there it is. I hope to be proven wrong.)

However, despite this my decision to buy is dependent on whether they stick with "Asmodeus is a god." If they go with that, I won't buy 4e and I won't ever play 4e (I'm not going to rehash the reasons; please don't ask). If they change their mind on that one, then I'll support their decision with my wallet and buy the core rulebooks, even if I end up never playing the game due to other reasons.

So, that would be a "Probably not."

Calico_Jack73

First Post
I'll buy it sight-unseen not necessarily because I think it will be so much better than any of the older editions but because it is always easier to find groups playing the current edition than older editions. I'd rather be playing an edition that I'm not totally crazy about than not playing at all. :\

Calico_Jack73

First Post
Ifurita'sFan said:
Character in this edition sound like they're getting defined by their abilities... and not by how the players play them and make the character's personalty stand out.

And this is new to you? :)

That has been my opinion of 3E since the day I first thumbed through it. 3.XE IMHO is closer to a tabletop miniatures game than a real role-playing game (emphasis on the "ROLE"). The combat system with it's 5' steps and attacks-of-opportunity pretty much demand that it be played on a tabletop with miniatures (excellent way to market a brand of D&D miniatures to make even more money). When characters become "playing pieces" (as they are in D&D 3.X) they typically become more defined by their abilities and role-playing takes a back seat. When the minis come out the group goes into "combat mode" and the thought of parlaying with npcs or monsters goes right out the window.

This is all just my opinion based upon my personal experiences...

Does this mean that I hate D&D 3.XE? Nope... for the most part I like playing it just like I liked playing Warhammer 40K. However, if I am looking for a role-playing experience then I usually shelf D&D and pick up one of the World of Darkness games. ;)

Wormwood

Adventurer
Reynard said:
Perhaps that the people who don't like the direction 4E is going feel compelled to verbalize it, just so that it is known that 4E is in fact, not going to be blindly accepted by everyopne just because it has a D&D logo on it?

So those of us who do like the direction 4e is going are "blindly accepting" now?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads