Winter Ceramic DM™: THE WINNER!

Cedric

First Post
Actually Sialia from my reading of Zhaneel and Berandor's criticism...I believe they were offering the criticism they would have offered had you turned these in as polished stories with plenty of time to write them.

The judges for Ceramic DM do an excellent job of keeping in mind that this is a restricted, timed competition.

Had you been able to spend whatever amount of time you needed and not had to conform to the subject matter in the photo's, I feel that Zhaneel and Berandor's criticism would be spot on.

As is, since you didn't have the luxury of plentiful time and you had to include certain subject matter to satisfy the restraints of the competition...I think you both wrote excellent stories.

And though I can't speak for them, I would wager that Zhaneel and Berandor both agree...

Cedric

Sialia

First Post
Thanks Cedric.

While it is true that Piratecat and I both have a pretty thick skin where criticism is concerned, and are seriously interested in learning from our mistakes, praise is nice too.

For example, when I was reading Piratecat's, there were several times where I kicked myself and said "Now why can't I write snappy patter like that?"
His overall pacing was brisk, his storyline easy to follow, and his world full of nice crunchy scene setting detail that didn't bog down the flow of events with vast irrelevant panoramas or unnecessarily minute detail.

It said everything it needed to say within a few pages and didn't take all night to read. It moved smoothly from necessary moment to necessary moment, with clear transitions.

And to think, he did it in about one day.

If I could write that fast and that well and had had a full three days . . . I wouldn't be sitting here trying to convince myself that I don't care how this comes out.

I'd be gloating over his impending humiliation with hand rubbing chuckles.

Not that I'm the competitve, overachieving sort, or anything.

Zhaneel

First Post
*kicks self* One of the first things I learned as a critiquer was to offer good with bad. *twack* I didn't do that here. I'm sorry. I did like parts and if you like I will go back and point out what I thought worked well too.

*slinks off*

Zhaneel

Berandor

lunatic
Sialia: I don't think you have a problem writing fast :)

Cedric is right: I judged these stories independent of the Ceramic DM circumstances (time constraints, images, etc.). Furthermore, I tried to include things I liked in both your stories (as I liked both your stories!). However, it's easier to tell why something didn't work then to say why something does work. I don't really know why I got goosebumps at Tarnby's death and the call to rebellion, other that I like these scenes.
You're right, though - I should have taken more care for positive encouragement (though that's what spouses are for :)).
And don't let anybody tell you the stories suck! They don't.

Zhaneel

First Post
The good!

Okay, here we go:

Sialia first

"Largest pickle crock in the world" Funny wonderful image. OTOH, I've been reading Prachett, and this just sounded like a Prachett thing to say. Wondefully done.

I loved the descriptions. Yes, there were 27 pages, but you knew where you were and what was going on around you. Rarely did reader have to strain to imagine the surroundings. Could it be cut? Maybe. I'm inclined to agree with Bernador and say that your mind is set for novels where you have the time to explore all this wonderful descriptive work.

The quick recap of story 2 was quick and well done. [Thoughts about the boat & dying together] Could even be left in when/if all 3 stories are joined.

Really liked the fastidious old lady who bathed the group. Would have loved to have seen more of her.

Good contrast of the thoughts w/Tarnby and hte need for food by Lillabro. Shows how important he was to the group as a whole and how much they took him for granted.

Miguel's patience with Mirabelle is a great example of showing his age and wisdom.

Darkness, tangled metal, mmmm... shivers. Wonderful for building the suspense while chasing Lillabro.

Something I missed on the first read "The little mushroom told me it was a good idea." Umm... did I miss that also in the second story? Since when are mushrooms able to do that? From being around the Illithids?

Volpe's song was a great counterpoint and message about Lillabro's scarifice. And I understood what Lillabro and Tarnby were doing the second time around, though I still wonder if Tarnby thought they would win or just buy time.

"Mirabelle was glad to be indoors, unblessed." *giggle* wonderful use of the langauge.

PC

This story had a wonderful opening. It drew you in and made you wonder WTF was going on. I thought the usage of the yarn and round objects as weapons (and the doll's heads as scanners) were wonderful. Great way to take ordainary objects and make them special. You've got a wonderful world here that I'd love to play in. Interesting reference to the Mars rover, very timely. Made me smile.

I loved that Miss Pring was an agent of Kane's; made me want to see more of her during the fight/death.

Also, in re-reading, I think I like the Bond Villian problem. Kane has NEVER lost. The doll's heads show his personality and that he brags about murdering people. I think this just expands that he gets off on being right and pulling one over on people.

Wonderful Finale. Once a Theif, always a Theif.

Sorry I didn't include stuff like the first time 'round.

I do think both of you did a great job. And I think you did better than I could have given the same pictures and time.

Congrats to both of you, regardless of who wins, you've both shown excellent writing and poise.

Zhaneel

Berandor

lunatic
Great! Now I gotta do this also! :)

Sialia:
“Each of them felt selfish and ashamed for having thought it.“ I loved that, how they all found something positive in their imprisonment and felt ashamed because it cost Tarnby's life. That seemed real, somehow.
I also must congratulate you on your choice of language. You frequently use literary tricks like metaphoras, similies etc. to bring your world to life. Like Zhaneel said, you always know where the characters are at any moment, without having to plow through paragraphs after paragraph of description.
I also liked how you made tarnby a character here by including images of what would have happened with him. That's also a real part of mourning, reminiscing about the lost person and how s/he would affect the situation.
"She was a Solstice Queen to remember." Here you speak the reader's mind. I loved that woman, how she playfully encouraged the girls!
I really like the scene leading up to Mirabelle's attempt at seduction. How Volpe watches over Lillabo's sleep, and then Mirabelle simply rests her head on his shoulder. If not for the scene with Miguel, I would have nothing to say against it :)
The spellcasting was done great, I thought. I knew it was Protection from Evil, and yet no such claims were made. That's something a lot of fiction set in a game environment neglects.
"He sang of her faith in a world remade." That touched me, as such a faith must be strong, indeed, and is worthy of song. And even though it's not made for the situation, it fits nonetheless (because naturally, it IS made for the situation, but still :)).
"they would be tricky to catch as waterbugs on a still pond. " This is what I was talking about. Cool image!
"Volpe smiled, thinking of the tune Tarnby would have whistled at that, and the smirk that would have flashed through Lillabo’s innocent wide eyes." A Great Ending! Remembering the lost ones while celebrating life. Wonderful!

PirateCat:
"Admittedly, Jim was caught a little off guard when I shot the old lady." Off we go! A great beginning as we are immediately in the mind and place of our heroine. There is nobody who wouldn't read on after that.
Oh, sorry, I just found something I didn't like. I hope that's alright: "blabla confirmed my suspicions." End. There is another instance later on, as well. We read the main character's mind, but now that she got a clue, we as readers don't get to know it, because the revelation will be more interesting later on. I realize this isn't so much a flaw as a personal preference, but I always dislike it when it's done in mystery novels, so I just had to call it out. :)
"... and the disguise I was wearing that day was fairly fetching." I like that. Why is she wearing a disguise when she's on official duty? Because she always wears a disguise! Cool tidbit about her personality/character.
O.K., I just have to compliment you on your names. "Ghost" Grantham, Desmond Kane, Rasmussen (o.K., not Jim :)). These names fit their characters, a very difficult and yet important detail.
I don't have to praise your evocative style, I believe, because you know you've got it :)
"Don’t you think you’re being a little (...) selfish?" I LOVE that, simply because Isabelle herself is a majorly selfish person (as shown by the fact that she steals stuff at the end of the story, or how she breaks into Rasmussen's office, etc. Quipping in the face of danger, yeah!
I already told you that I liked the backwards change.
"It looked painful. I approved." Precise, and witty. Clearly, our heroine is in control again. Nice.

In the end, I can only agree with Zhaneel again (don't tell anyone that Zhaneel's my second alt after Baere... Whisperfoot :))

Sialia

First Post
And many thanks again!

I feel much better now. Maybe there is something here worth going back to revise and polish, once I'm over the constraints of the competition.

:)

Zhaneel

First Post
Berandor said:
In the end, I can only agree with Zhaneel again (don't tell anyone that Zhaneel's my second alt after Baere... Whisperfoot :))

Ark!

Hey now... I've gone through a lot of trouble to break out of you. No fair trying to squish me back into your personality. ;-)

Zhaneel

*who is really herself, ask mythago*

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
To save me the prospect of repeated checking, do the esteemed judges have an approximate time that the judgment will be posted? I think Sialia and I are responsible for a whole lot of thread views. :D

Remove ads