Winter Ceramic DM™: THE WINNER!

Swack-Iron

First Post
Piratecat said:
To save me the prospect of repeated checking, do the esteemed judges have an approximate time that the judgment will be posted? I think Sialia and I are responsible for a whole lot of thread views. :D

So PC, maybe now you know how we all feel when you haven't updated your storyhour as soon as you thought you would have. *ahem* ;)

Mythago's been putting in long hours at her new job, and we're in California, so I suspect you've got to wait a bit more.

target

First Post
Sialia: I had some random thoughts on your set of stories in general. Feel free to totally ignore them.

First, I enjoyed the stories individually, and as a whole. It was entertaining to see the characters progress, and I found I was looking forward to your third entry, since I wanted to see how they ended up.

But I also noticed that I liked the first story the best, followed by the second, and liked the third the least of the three. It's hard to put my finger on why, exactly.

I felt like the first story had the most depth to it. This is possibly because I overlooked the integration themes in the third one, but I didn't find them to be all that apparent, even on rereading after knowing what to look for.

In the first story, I liked the exploratory nature of it -- we didn't know what the rules of the world are, and it was fun to learn them. I really especially liked the social commentary via dragon pov -- it made the story feel more connected to us, and not a fantasy story in a vacuum. I felt it was quite the impressive achievement in the limited time you had.

I didn't feel that same anticipation in the latter two stories. Partly this is because the world was established, and there needed to be less revealing of it -- indeed, my favorite moment in the second story is when we discovered what the herd was made of. There wasn't anything like that in the third story.

But partly it is also because the story was only concerned with the characters, and not with us. This is not a problem with stories in general -- most stories are like that, of course. But without that extra level of meaning, I found I cared a little less for the characters. Iron chef references notwithstanding. The second story also suffered a little from obviousness. She picks up the mushroom rose, and we know immediately that it's the tool they will use to escape. I like that you killed off one of them, though. The obviousness issue is likely triggered by the difficult format -- the rose is a picture, so it must be important, and the characters really have no hope or options other than what we've been told.

Finally, the third.... It was the one of the three that suffered from length, I think. It tries to be two very different stories. The first is a quiet story about the last village, and fitting in, and recovering from their horrors. It's about Mirabelle finally relearning how to love and trust, and Lillabo's agony over part 2, and the professor's having to revaluate his personal relationships and ideas as well. Miguel fits well into this story, as does the maypole.

But it's also an adventure, fighting against the fungal amalgam, adventures, magic, etc. This feels like a different story, and the lesson which Volpe learns from Miguel about his parts and ways of looking at the world feels very disconnected from the illithid adventure bit. I feel like the story would have hung together better had Lillibo just jumped off a cliff instead of fighting with illithid -- it would have been at least as shocking to Volpe, been less of a distraction, and made the story feel a bit more complete in itself, since it would need fewer references to the last episode. Think New Yorker instead of DnD adventure.

Anyway, take that for what you will -- this is just the ramblings of a critic who can't do it himself, after all. Excellent set of three stories under remarkably challenging conditions -- my congratulations on putting together something this impressive this quickly.

Good stories, both of you. I'd write a similar post about Piratecat's story, but it's a lot less ambitious, and therefore less interesting to critically analyze, even if it did end up being the somewhat better story.

- target

arwink

Clockwork Golem
Piratecat said:
To save me the prospect of repeated checking, do the esteemed judges have an approximate time that the judgment will be posted? I think Sialia and I are responsible for a whole lot of thread views. :D

My fault entirely - The time at the con meant I'd missed the e-mail informing me that todays meeting was actually seven and a half hours long :)

I'm reading the entries and writing comments now. I should be done and have it sent off in an hour or so.

arwink

Clockwork Golem
Sent.

Now I'm going to go read everyone elses comments, watch a bad zombie movie that doesn't require me thinking, and fall asleep for the next six or seven hours :)

Sialia

First Post
Interlude while we wait:

The idea of a bard who can’t sing all that well is actually borrowed from a character Piratecat played in someone else’s campaign. (still plays?)

That character tells awful jokes as his primary form of bardly performance. I kid you not. He’s also a fairly important cleric and the party leader.

Anyway, I always thought the puns and one liners were cute but kind of goofy until the day I guest played the monster for that campaign.

I had just ruthlessly slaughtered Kidcthulhu’s character (and another player’s character, too--although I didn’t know that that character was wearing a ring of regeneration), and their deaths had been those completely unreasonable kind of deaths where the PC never has a chance to do anything or see it coming before winding up at neg 40 (or something), because I’m pretty efficient when I’m evil. So I decided to be less efficient and gloat over Piratecat’s bard’s death in classic movie villain style, not so much because I was feeling charitable as feeling cocky.

I was using a fly spell at the time, and Piratecat’s character had a known weakness for being unable to cast clerical spells when not in contact with the ground. So I hoisted him up and carried him above his troops. My plan was to gut him in front of all his comrades and rain his entrails down upon them.

And so we fly upwards for a round or so to get into position. We’re about 200 feet in the air when he turns to me and says

And he says to me “Knock, knock.”

And I say “Who’s there?”

And he says “Dispel magic.”

And I say “Dispel magic who?”

And he says “Dis spell you’re using to fly is magic, isn’t it?”

You should have seen the look on my face as I fell. Worse, you should have seen the look on my face when his ring of feather fall yanked him up out of my arms as I fell.

We had one of those brief tussles wherein the villain (who is plummeting) tries to hold on the hero (who is not). Opposed grapples, I lost.

Last thing I remember him quipping was “Gravity is a harsh mistress.”

Last edited:

Remove ads