Wisdom???

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
Well, as much as I have a problem with Wisdom, I have a problem with all the Attributes in d20. I have a problem undersand how Strength also increases your ability to hit in melee or unarmed if only to make it a mechanical balance with Dexterity, but also how it ties to the skills its linked to.

I have a problem with Dexterity for the reasons listed above. A single Attribute that has meshed together both fine motor skills and broad, dextrous reactions when they are both two very seperate and distinct things.

Constitution, well...I think I don't have a problem with that one, its the only one that really makes sense.

Intelligence I have a problem with because by its very nature we can't really define what Intelligence is, its more of a philosophical debate that will never be solved, and there fore that Attribute should be renamed and split into other attributes.

Wisdom, well, its Perception, plain and simple. Perception and insights.

Charisma is your force of will, its your raw presence and scope of personality. Should be renamed.

So, I'd rename them as such:

Strength = Power - because this is what Strength is, its your raw, physical Power to Lift and do Damage and push things out of your way.

Dexterity = Agility - your broad, nimble ability to duck and dodge out of the way and using your body to avoid incoming attacks and also tumble and balance and all that.

Constitution = same. It does what it does.

Intelligence = Adroitness - for the following definitions:
--expert or nimble in the use of the hands or body.
--cleverly skillful, resourceful, or ingenious
--having or showing skill, cleverness, or resourcefulness in handling situations

But, if that's too different for people, then just rename it Smarts. :)

Wisdom = Perception/Insight - I can see either, and both do a better job of describing what it is supposed to mean.

Charisma = Presence - just a better, overall term to describe what it is that Charima is supposed to represent, and easier to understand.

Sadrik

First Post
Well, as much as I have a problem with Wisdom, I have a problem with all the Attributes in d20. I have a problem undersand how Strength also increases your ability to hit in melee or unarmed if only to make it a mechanical balance with Dexterity, but also how it ties to the skills its linked to.
The reason STR modifies to hit chance is because what armor represents in the game. This fine point often gets, glazed over. Rolling to "hit" does not mean you hit or miss. It means do you get a chance to do damage or not do damage. You very well miss and still connect your hit. Armor Class is basically a binary way of saying you deal damage or not. STR helps in dealing damage by bypassing some of that armor. Is this the best way to make a system? I don't know but it is the D&D way.

I have a problem with Dexterity for the reasons listed above. A single Attribute that has meshed together both fine motor skills and broad, dextrous reactions when they are both two very seperate and distinct things.
I'll agree with this but it is not all that different than a million other systems.
Aim/finesse
Agility/reflexes/initiative/stealth/balance/tumble/ride/pilot/Acrobatics
Open locks/use rope/Thievery

The only thing I might be willing to change is move the third category to INT. The first and second group I am fine with being the same stat.

Constitution, well...I think I don't have a problem with that one, its the only one that really makes sense.
Agreed.

Intelligence I have a problem with because by its very nature we can't really define what Intelligence is, its more of a philosophical debate that will never be solved, and there fore that Attribute should be renamed and split into other attributes.
I think INT is very easily defined. Knowledge, both book learned and practical. I don't buy the argument that Wisdom is practical knowledge and INT is theoretical/book or whatever. Knowledge is knowledge in my book.

Wisdom, well, its Perception, plain and simple. Perception and insights.
Yeah, and by the raw it is also so much more. It is a catch all for lots of stuff.

Charisma is your force of will, its your raw presence and scope of personality. Should be renamed.
I am cool with Charisma for the most part. I think already means presence. I think where people get confused is that they want to make it all about your looks. The only real changes here is the Will save should be added and Divine magic should be added in my opinion. Also in 3.5, UMD should logically move to INT.

Remove ads