D&D (2024) Wither the Wizard? (or: Bards don’t have ACNE)

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
The changes to spellcasting with the Bard and Ranger are amazing in lots of ways, but respresent an implied erosion of the defining versatility of the Wizard. This represents a challenge designers will face, and thinking about it identifies some substantial changes in the understanding of spellcasting which allows for some reasonable speculation about future playtest documents.

For spellcasting classes, the class table identifies both the number of spells you prepare at that level and the number of slots you have at each level. This is a major change. For the bard, the number of spells known is more or less the same – any given level might be +/-1 or 2, but ultimately it’s a wash. In fact, Songs of Restoration makes it so that you have up to 5 more spells known. This will require and reward a different kind of system mastery: at the upper levels, characters will only have one spell prepared at 9th level per long rest. That will reduce flexibility on high-end boss fights. Another way to look at it is that at level 18, you can only prepare one 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th level spell. Within a given long rest, that’s really no different than the Warlock’s Mystic Arcanum, which always feels very limited. Flexibility for the Bard and Ranger comes from being able to draw on a wider list, with the opportunity to change after every long rest, with some limitation of schools available.

How will this wash out for other spellcasters, if this approach is maintained? Some speculation:
  • I expect the Cleric to have full access to the Divine list, the Druid full access to the Primal list, and the Wizard full access to the Arcane list.
  • I expect the Paladin will be able to draw on a limited number of schools from the Divine list, with progression like the ranger. Like the ranger, they’ll start with two cantrips, which is a huge buff for both classes – that was a completely viable fighting style (since Tasha’s), given to them for free.
  • Would they limit the Sorcerer list as the inverse of the Bard list? Bards have DIET (Divination, Illusion, Enchantment, Transformation) spells. That would leave ACNE for the (also Charisma-based) Sorcerer (ha ha ha – Abjuration, Conjuration, Necromancy, and Evocation). I hereby copyright these acronyms; Sorcerers have ACNE, Bards DIET.
  • This line of thinking would mean a substantial increase in the number of spells for the Sorcerer, and adding more still (including some from other schools, illusion for instance) could come through subclasses, along the lines of Songs of Restoration. That’s been the tendency in new sorcerer subclasses for the past few years already, so no surprise if so. There’s a reduction in the number of cantrips sorcerers have available, unless they had a different table, but I’m guessing the designers won’t do that. Some other solution might come into play.
  • As I’ve speculated in another thread, I think Eldritch Blast will become a class feature for the Warlock.
  • Subclasses could give limited access to other spell lists: the Divine soul giving access to (certain schools within?) the divine list, etc.
  • I expect Arcane Trickster and Eldritch Fighter will remain subclasses. Whatever their progression, I’d expect they’ll get a subset of schools too -- Enchantment/Illusion and Evocation/Abjuration (though it’d be nice if they got one more school, perhaps not in the same ACNE/DIET groups)
There’s a lot of speculation here, but none of it feels wildly amiss based on what we’ve seen. Given this (or something like it), I wonder what will happen to the wizard? Will the Wizard still have a spellbook?

If other casters have full flexibility on their lists (with the limits outlined above), is there any reason to limit the Wizard to spells written down in a book, and giving them access to only 2 new spells/level? I don’t think so. A class or subclass feature could add 5 (10?) more spells, all from a particular school that the wizard chooses at level 2 or 3, for example.

Another reason to think the spellbook might disappear is the absence of the Ritual book from the ritual caster feat (a change I find disappointing).

Given that the flexibility of the Wizard has been their main strength, I don’t see what they can do to preserve that quality given the flexibility they have introduced to the bard. I do not think they will maintain the spellbook-building minigame (a book might still be a spellcasting focus, for instance, or could give +1 DC when used, but that’s ultimately cosmetic).

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I am pretty convinced that the wizard will still have a spellbook, and all spells in your character’s spellbook will be always prepared for you.

I also think it’s likely that school specialization will still be a thing, - perhaps just the 2nd level “[School] Savant” feature, but made universal (since subclasses seem to be starting at 3rd level), allowing you to choose what school you gain the benefit for at the time that you gain the feature. But I’m less confident in that prediction.

Last edited:

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I'm on a similar page as Charlaquin wrt the entire spellbook getting treated as prepped for the wizard. That sort of shift neatly explains the ritual casting changes not mentioning spellbooks and maintains the wizard's versatility as a meaningful thing in the face of the new prepared like divine casters historically prepped but from a wider list style casting present for the test bard & ranger.

I'd also expect to see better guidance about making spellbooks & spellscrolls available as treasure & shop inventory for wizards to get away from the rare magic cruft still present from influences of things like the dying earth novels early editions had. At the end of the day it doesn't matter how much you can scribe if you don't have anything to scribe from.

May be a bit of sarcasm in a series doing similar stuff for each class but you only need to look at the generally lacking availability of scrolls & spellbooks in wotc's own hardcover 5e adventures as evidence to why such guidance is sorely required if that is the way they go with wizards

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
So if they keep the spellbooks (tradition, despite the drawbacks), doesn't that make Wizards less flexible than every other type of caster? (Unless "any spell can be a ritual if cast with a spellbook" or somesuch, which I do not think they will do.)

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
So if they keep the spellbooks (tradition, despite the drawbacks), doesn't that make Wizards less flexible than every other type of caster? (Unless "any spell can be a ritual if cast with a spellbook" or somesuch, which I do not think they will do.)
Not ritual... Any ritual spell can already be cast as a ritual if prepared. Make every spell in the spellbook considered prepared and it explains not mentioning spellbooks in the new ritual spellcasting thing. Wizards become dramatically & meaningfully more flexible then.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Heh. I like the ACNE-DIET acronym. Funny stuff.

I was thinking the spellbook might go away, but the idea that it'll hold extra prepared spells sounds like a good fit.

I'm actually quite digging the new spell-lists and the use of schools to silo class access.

There's another feature that some of you might not think of, that I would (being a game store retailer): The Arcane/Divine/Primal lists allow them to make boxed sets of spell cards. The current spell cards (if you're aware of them) by GF9 are strangely, an Arcane Box (with Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard spells) and then individual ones Bard, Cleric, Druid, Paladin, and Ranger. The Arcane one outsells the others by a WIDE margin. This will make three sets, which is better for SKUs, and will make them closer to even (Arcane will still sell best, followed by Divine and then Primal, but at least they will be closer, and will only be three sets. I expect we will find WotC will make them themselves, too, rather than farming them out.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Heh. I like the ACNE-DIET acronym. Funny stuff.

I was thinking the spellbook might go away, but the idea that it'll hold extra prepared spells sounds like a good fit.

I'm actually quite digging the new spell-lists and the use of schools to silo class access.

There's another feature that some of you might not think of, that I would (being a game store retailer): The Arcane/Divine/Primal lists allow them to make boxed sets of spell cards. The current spell cards (if you're aware of them) by GF9 are strangely, an Arcane Box (with Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard spells) and then individual ones Bard, Cleric, Druid, Paladin, and Ranger. The Arcane one outsells the others by a WIDE margin. This will make three sets, which is better for SKUs, and will make them closer to even (Arcane will still sell best, followed by Divine and then Primal, but at least they will be closer, and will only be three sets. I expect we will find WotC will make them themselves, too, rather than farming them out.
Also means those SKUs will scale well with any future Classes they want to throw into the mix.

I thinknthe Wizard will still be versatile, even if the versatility gap has been narrowed. Interested to see how they handle the Mage group.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Yeah I’m increasingly dismayed at the proliferation of spell casting for everything, everywhere. I would rather classes get more non-spell special abilities and promote Wizard and other spell traditions as unique

Last edited:

Remove ads