D&D (2024) Wizard (Playtest 7)

Yaarel

He Mage
I am surprised how subpar the Diviner Wizard is.

Its main feature plus its level-20 cap together are less good than a level-0 Lucky feat.

If one builds a Diviner Wizard and simply removes all of the Diviner features, with empty spaces instead, there is almost no difference between the two builds.

Generally, the Wizard requires a more substantial design space for a subclass. Or oppositely, the Wizard class can be the class that has no subclasses. Anything in between seems unworth the superfluous complexity. It is ok if spell choice itself is the "subclass" sotospeak.

If the design decision is to make the Wizard subclasses more worth the page space, then the Diviner concept needs a rethink. The Diviner can see across spacetime and planar levels of existence. So also grant let the Divine subclass travel across. Teleport across spacetime and planeshift across planes. The mind goes there then brings the body with it.

Teleport/Planeshift are powerful but tend to be a one-trick pony. Divination is interesting but too passive for an "ability". Yet together, they synergize well as a well-rounded character concept, and make a great Wizard Diviner subclass.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I am surprised how subpar the Diviner Wizard is.

Its main feature plus its level-20 cap together are less good than a level-0 Lucky feat.

If one builds a Diviner Wizard and simply removes all of the Diviner features, with empty spaces instead, there is almost no difference between the two builds.

Generally, the Wizard requires a more substantial design space for a subclass. Or oppositely, the Wizard class can be the class that has no subclasses. Anything in between seems unworth the superfluous complexity. It is ok if spell choice itself is the "subclass" sotospeak.

If the design decision is to make the Wizard subclasses more worth the page space, then the Diviner concept needs a rethink. The Diviner can see across spacetime and planar levels of existence. So also grant let the Divine subclass travel across. Teleport across spacetime and planeshift across planes. The mind goes there then brings the body with it.

Teleport/Planeshift are powerful but tend to be a one-trick pony. Divination is interesting but too passive for an "ability". Yet together, they synergize well as a well-rounded character concept, and make a great Wizard Diviner subclass.

You're saying the Portent feature, which remains basically the same as the 2014 version, is subpar?

The ability to dictate the result of ANY D20 test, which has been consistently rated among the top (if not the top) wizard features since 2014?

I'll grant you it's a bit boring (especially for a capstone) but I can't see it as "not good!"

And the others aren't bad either:

Expert divination is decent. I mean not as big as it looks, but it'll get you a few extra spell slots.

The Third eye is pretty good - See invisibility without a spell slot is decent.

Yaarel

He Mage
You're saying the Portent feature, which remains basically the same as the 2014 version, is subpar?

The ability to dictate the result of ANY D20 test, which has been consistently rated among the top (if not the top) wizard features since 2014?

I'll grant you it's a bit boring (especially for a capstone) but I can't see it as "not good!"

And the others aren't bad either:

Expert divination is decent. I mean not as big as it looks, but it'll get you a few extra spell slots.

The Third eye is pretty good - See invisibility without a spell slot is decent.
Compare a feat that is available to a level 1 character (and actually gained at level 0 before taking levels in a class).

LUCKY
1st-Level [Level-0] Feat
Prerequisite: None
Repeatable: No
You have inexplicable luck that can kick in at just the right moment, granting you the following benefits:
Luck Points. You have a number of Luck Points equal to your Proficiency Bonus. You can spend the points on the benefits below, and you regain your expended Luck Points when you finish a Long Rest.
Advantage. Immediately after you roll a d20 for a d20 Test, you can spend 1 Luck Point to give yourself Advantage on the roll.
Disadvantage. When a creature rolls a d20 for an attack roll against you, you can spend 1 Luck Point to impose Disadvantage on that roll.

This level-0 feat by itself seems better than the entire design space for a Wizard subclass.

Stalker0

Legend
Compare a feat that is available to a level 1 character (and actually gained at level 0 before taking levels in a class).

LUCKY
1st-Level [Level-0] Feat
You have inexplicable luck that can kick in at just the right moment, granting you the following benefits:
Luck Points. You have a number of Luck Points equal to your Proficiency Bonus. You can spend the points on the benefits below, and you regain your expended Luck Points when you finish a Long Rest.
Advantage. Immediately after you roll a d20 for a d20 Test, you can spend 1 Luck Point to give yourself Advantage on the roll.
Disadvantage. When a creature rolls a d20 for an attack roll against you, you can spend 1 Luck Point to impose Disadvantage on that roll.

This level-0 feat by itself seems better than the entire design space for a Wizard subclass.
There is a massive gulf of difference in giving something disadvantage versus going “on this save, for my boss slaying spell…your result is a 3”

Gadget

Adventurer
I'm slightly surprised at the choice of subclasses for the Wizard (if this indeed is the selection in the next PHB). I expected Evoker and Illusionist, as both have a strong D&D tradition, but I would have expected a Necromancer to make the cut, as that has strong fantasy & D&D traditions as well. Perhaps the fact that minions have been...problematic in D&D for the last couple of editions is the reason. That and the fact that most non-minion Necromancy spells are kind of sub-par.

I notice that they still have not completely fixed the Invisible condition. The condition grants three bullet points of benefits, and only the last point mentions anything about creatures having an ability that allows them to see you negating the effect. You mean I still can't target an invisible person with a spell, even if I have See Invisibility up? I can see how the surprise benefit might by tricky to adjust if only one (or part of) a group of opponents can see you, but still.

I think the memorize spell feature could be problematic for out of combat/emergency utility. It basically turns almost all out of combat spells in your spell book into one minute ritual.

homunculus23

Villager
I'm slightly surprised at the choice of subclasses for the Wizard (if this indeed is the selection in the next PHB). I expected Evoker and Illusionist, as both have a strong D&D tradition, but I would have expected a Necromancer to make the cut, as that has strong fantasy & D&D traditions as well. Perhaps the fact that minions have been...problematic in D&D for the last couple of editions is the reason. That and the fact that most non-minion Necromancy spells are kind of sub-par.
I think they may include Necromancers in the DMG

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)

LUCKY
1st-Level [Level-0] Feat

Yes, that feat is much MUCH weaker than portent. By a mile. Portent is often pushing an I WIN button. Advantage is just roughly a +5 bonus.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

LUCKY
1st-Level [Level-0] Feat

Portents awesome in play, better than Lucky. Though now I want to play a Halfling Diviner with the Lucky Feat.

Remove ads