Wizard Spell Memorization.

Ok, this is an odd one that might or might not come into play in my campaign soon.

Can a wizard memorize a spell without his spellbook? Doesnt make sense right? Let me elaborate.

A wizard casts only some of his spells in a day. Lets say he get 2 third level spells a day. He only casts one of them. So he still has a fireball in memory. Now lets say the wizard does not have access to his spellbook the next day. Can he use the one fireball he already has memorized to memorize a second one and thus now have two memorized for the next day?

If you can do this could you also apply feats to it? Lets say a character is chained up in prison. He has a teleport memorized but he cannot go through the somatic components due to the chains. Now assuming he has a free slot for it could the wizard use the teleport stored in his head to memorize a second one but include the Still Spell feat and memorize it at a higher level?

Opinions?

I would say both are legal since I believe the rules say that if you lose your spellbook you can purchase a new one and write any spells you have memorized into the new spellbook. So having a spell in memory is useful beyond just casting it.

Not true, Spell Mastersy lets you automatically memorize certain spells no matter what. It doesnt matter if you have any of them memorized already.

My question has to do with spells you still have in your mind.

AGGEMAM said:
There is a feat that allows you that, it is Spell Mastery.

If you do not have this feat, then no.

AGGEMAM

First Post
I think you confuse the old term 'memorize' with the new 'prepare', a prepared spell does not disappear from your mind when you sleep or get knocked unconscious and so on, unlike the memorizing days of yeond.

hong

WotC's bitch
It's not "memorisation" anymore, it's "preparation". Preparing spells has nothing to do with whether you still remember the gestures, words and whatnot that go into the spell. Think of it as recharging your arcane power, much like recharging a battery; you still need your spellbook, even if you already have some spells prepared.

dcollins

Explorer
That's totally not legal.
Wizards can prepare spells from spellbooks or Spell Mastery, and that's it.

The replacing of prepared spells in spellbooks is a completely separate issue, and not relevant to the discussion. Even if this was hypothetically allowed you've neglected that "the process wipes the prepared spell from her mind" (PH p. 155), so swapping a fireball into an empty slot would just leave you with one fireball (again) at the end of the process.

Well that would be fin too then since the situation is baed around a wizard wanting to comvert his normal teleport spell into a Still Spell teleport.

dcollins said:
That's totally not legal.
Wizards can prepare spells from spellbooks or Spell Mastery, and that's it.

The replacing of prepared spells in spellbooks is a completely separate issue, and not relevant to the discussion. Even if this was hypothetically allowed you've neglected that "the process wipes the prepared spell from her mind" (PH p. 155), so swapping a fireball into an empty slot would just leave you with one fireball (again) at the end of the process.

AGGEMAM

First Post
DocMoriartty said:
Well that would be fin too then since the situation is baed around a wizard wanting to comvert his normal teleport spell into a Still Spell teleport.

The situation described is not allowed, at all, with the use of the Spell Mastery feat or a magic item that gives the same effect.

Hmmm, what if a feat was created that allows you to cast a spell with whatever metagic feats you want on it by sacrificing another spell you have perpared of that higher level in addition to the spell itself.

So if you have a teleport memorized and you want to cast it as a Stilled Spell you must cast the spell and sacrifice another spell you have prepared that is of the level the feated teleport should have taken up. This would give your wizard some more versatility but at the cost of wasting an entire spell of a higher level.

AGGEMAM said:

The situation described is not allowed, at all, with the use of the Spell Mastery feat or a magic item that gives the same effect.

AGGEMAM

First Post
DocMoriartty said:
Hmmm, what if a feat was created that allows you to cast a spell with whatever metagic feats you want on it by sacrificing another spell you have perpared of that higher level in addition to the spell itself.

I saw a quite balanced feat in the House Rules, that let you do what you want, which is essentially to cast spontaneously metamagick spells.

IIRC, these were the main points:

1) You sacrifice the spell in question and a spell of the effective spell level of the metamagicked spell.
2) It's a full-round action.

Last edited:

Remove ads