• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizards In Winter - Low-Level Thread (DM: Son of Meepo, Judge: TwoHeadsBarking)

Son of Meepo

First Post
OOC: I'm back :). Quick question, how does lateral movement work? Still at half speed? Also remember we can assist with rolls. Along with ropes (how much does that reduce the DC?) and Lenyara's awesome bonus, we can do this, just slowly.

Merri eyes up the cliffs, wondering how far she should try on her first climb.

GM: Yes, consider any movement onto a white square is double cost, no matter which way you enter that square.

You can all gain the benefit of a climber's kit if anyone has one. It adds +2 to athletics.

You can use Aid Another to help but remember that Aid Another is always a Standard Action, so if you are aiding, you can only use a single move action to move yourself.

Son of Meepo

First Post
GM: After thinking about it, the slope was a bit too gradual than my intent. I've corrected the map.

[MENTION=88601]FourMonos[/MENTION]: Since your second Athletics check failed by more than 4, you fall. You don't take damage since the fall was less than 10 feet.

pathfinderq1

First Post
OOC: Actually, the second roll fails by exactly 4; initial DC of 13, -2 for Lenyara's Mountain guide knack= DC 11, rolled a 7. So Merri doesn't fall, but wastes that move action (no distance climbed). I will put Lenyara's place on the map.

Medina

Explorer
Marrgash nervously looks up at the cliff. "Here goes nothing," he mutters, but struggles to find a hand hold at first

[sblock=Actions]
Move: Try to move to L26. Athletics 4. Fail and fall back to the ground.
Standard - convert to move. Try to move to L26. Success![/sblock]

Wife Of Meepo

First Post
Ilex double checks her pack. ”I could've sworn that I purchased some climbing gear. Oh well.” Ilex whispers almost inaudibly “Ok good friend, let's go climbing.” Ilex seems to reach into the air her hand disappearing momentarily then as if stepping through an open door Noctua Ursus, Ilex's owlbear companion returns from the fey lands. Ilex ties a length of rope between them and directs Noctua up the slope. Once the beast is on the ledge, Ilex climbs easily up to the first ledge and they continue part way to the ledge above. Ilex prays to the earth she is climbing for continued success in climbing.

[sblock=actions]
Noctua double move to K22 - Double move climb (1d20+6=18, 1d20+6=18)
Ilex double move to L22 - double move climb (1d20=14, 1d20=19) [/sblock]

Son of Meepo

First Post
Marrgash notices that his backpack has been unusually still lately. Looking into it and around the group, the small toothed beast is nowhere to be seen and you wonder what kind of mischief is it into.

(ooc: I'll explore the ledges and caves in a random order that depends on what ledge can I reach in a single round. Since we're going in rounds, I'll start the first round double moving to T30, then spend a move action hiding and moving to the cave's mouth, and then a standard action to look into the cave. For themoment, I'm not interested in finding hearts, but to check if there's any monsters in the caves or ledges.

Edit: if the caves are dark, I'll use Unseelie eyes to gain darkvision until the end of the encounter)
GM: [MENTION=5656]Someone[/MENTION], I have updated the map since you posted, so I'll need you to redo your round of actions. Given the slope, I'm going to rule that you can fly to the second row above any ledge before hitting your altitude limit.

Someone

Adventurer
OOC: I was following the revised rules for flying in the errata, that says:

Altitude Limit: If a creature has a specified altitude limit, the creature falls at the end of its turn if it is flying higher than that limit. For example, a creature that has an altitude limit of 2 falls at the end of its turn if it is flying higher than 2 squares

Previously you fell if flying over the altitude limit at any point. That's why I supposed I could jump from ledge to ledge.

If we're going by your ruling, would be possible to fly from character to character without endangering them? I mean, can I fly from the ground to Marrgash, and then to the ledge?

Son of Meepo

First Post
GM: Yes, that means that at the end of your turn, if you are more than 2 square straight above any gray square, you will have to be clinging to the wall (and thus make an Athletics check to hang on). During your turn is not so restricted.

Someone

Adventurer
OOC: ok, then my initial post stands more or less. If I'm reading the map correctly, I can reach t20 in a single turn with a move+move action, which was my intention.

Just in case in the future you want to condense further rounds in a single post, then next round I'll hide and look into the cave, then on third and turn fly to other ledge and repeat the sequence

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads