• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WizKids New Star Wars License

Jack of Shadows

First Post
OK,

For those who haven't already seen, it appears Wizkids has received the license to do a Pocket Model game for Star Wars akin to their Pirates of the Spanish Main game. There seems to be some awful clever word use to make the game sound like a collectable card game and not a miniatures wargame. Check out the link here for images:

http://www.wizkidsgames.com/wk_article.asp?cid=41243&frame=company

I don't know what WotC's take on this will be but the similiarity to the new Star Wars Starship Battles game makes me think that the lawyers are sharpening their pencils.

Jack

D.Shaffer

First Post
...Wow.
I bet there must have been one heck of a lot of lawyer wrangling for this one. I wonder if WotC/Hasbro have found out about it yet.

kenobi65

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I'm not a collectible miniature gaming guy, but it seems to me that punch-out foam starships ain't got nothing on detailed plastic minis.

Actually, they aren't foam; they're hard styrene. They'll come on cards that are roughly the size, thickness, and consistency of credit cards; you punch 'em out and assemble them. Same "technology" and material that they use for the Pirates game. While the shapes themselves are somewhat limited (you're making semi-3D models out of 2D plastic cards), the printing is probably of higher quality than the paintjobs on the plastic minis.

Clearly, they argued that this is a card game, not a minis game, and are using that technicality in the license. Interesting that this makes the third company to have the Star Wars CCG license (after Decipher and WotC).

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
D.Shaffer said:
...Wow.
I bet there must have been one heck of a lot of lawyer wrangling for this one. I wonder if WotC/Hasbro have found out about it yet.
I imagine there were howls of outrage within seconds of it going up online.

I am sure Hasbro/WotC did the research before renewing their license with Lucasfilms/Lucasarts for the Star Wars license recently. If Wizkids is in a position to announce and have sample products avilable for display, they probably acquired the license before they started the R&D on the product to make sure they were not wasting the money spent in that process. If WotC was renewing their license, I am sure that part of the process would include researching what other licenses are out there for Star Wars themed games so they could do cost/benefit anlysis and decide if they wanted the license and what it provided for at the rate it cost. It's a pretty standard part of acquiring a license. If this comes as a surprise to WotC/Hasbro, then several someones have not been doing their job very well.
-M

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads