WizKids Previews New D&D Mini Sets

Interesting that it looks like there is a single huge creature in the set.

When I heard about the spell effects minis I got excited, but then I see they aren't designed to have them share the same space with other minis. I have a need for minis I can put under characters.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Does Mage Hand really need a mini? I'd think one for Flaming Sphere would have been much more useful.

YES! Just yesterday I was playing the game and one of the players had a 3d printed hand, but it was huge, used by him for Bigby's. I would have love to have a mini hand. I use it all the time. I have to track that it is within 30' of me while often while trying to move around during combat. i have some 2D minis, but a small floating hand will be very cool if you play a character that makes a lot of use of the mage hand spell.

I still don't understand why people buy random minis packs instead of demanding they tell you exactly which ones are in the box so that you can get the ones you want.
Because it's cheaper.

A booster costs $15 and has 1 Large and 3 Medium minis. If the Large has twice the plastic, it's $3 a mini.
The big, rare minis have more paint steps and detail. So they might cost significantly more than $3. But because people will buy 2-4 boosters trying to get the elusive rares, the higher cost is offset with the common figures with less complex paint, that might cost less. It keeps the average price low. But if they had to sell them individually, there'd be waves of unsold commons and highly desirable rares.

There are non-randomized minis for sale. They're just unpainted.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Because it's cheaper.

A booster costs $15 and has 1 Large and 3 Medium minis. If the Large has twice the plastic, it's $3 a mini.
The big, rare minis have more paint steps and detail. So they might cost significantly more than $3. But because people will buy 2-4 boosters trying to get the elusive rares, the higher cost is offset with the common figures with less complex paint, that might cost less. It keeps the average price low. But if they had to sell them individually, there'd be waves of unsold commons and highly desirable rares.

Plus it's fun!

I love random encounters and random treasure in D&D.

It's fun to have random minis that inspire me to create more random encounters and such.

The spells look useful, but I'm always a bit on the fence about these. On one hand, I prefer to know precisely which minis I'm buying and I prefer to paint them myself. Nolzur's line is great for that.

On the other, randomization offers encounter building opportunities and a way to grab more minis for a lower amount.

The sculpts look fantastic, though. That beholder looks like the Xanathar to me.

WaterRabbit

Explorer
Because it's cheaper.

What is rare, uncommon, and common are decided on by the manufacture and not by demand per se. If they priced the miniatures based on production costs they would not have this issue.

What is rare, uncommon, and common are decided on by the manufacture and not by demand per se. If they priced the miniatures based on production costs they would not have this issue.
Yes and no.

WotC/ WizKids have definitely gotten better at picking commons vs rares. They learned very quickly that mooks make good commons as you need lots, but elite named NPCs and solo monsters make better rares. So even if a mini could be cheap to make, if they’re not desirable in bulk they’re better as an uncommon.
It was always annoying to have a baggie of common figures that you only needed 1 or 2 of at a time.

Simmilarly, high complexity figures (beholders for one) need to be rare, as the many paint steps and details required necessitates a higher price. These have to be rare.

They do also bank on demand. Trusting desired figures will drive more sales. But generally they also at least try to keep those rares high quality as well.

But pricing individual figures doesn’t work as well. If you could buy singles at stores, people would buy fewer blind boxes and just buy the exact minis they want, and end up getting far fewer minis in total. Which means the price of all minis has to go up. A lot. And you have high demand minis regularly selling out.
If you want non-random minis you just have to go unpainted. (And even then, popular ones are always backordered.)
Look at the higher price-per-mini of the Pathfinder Iconic boxes. And even then, it’s banking on you buying 3-4 PCs you don’t want to get one you do.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
There was a line (maybe 2?) of the older random minis that had 1 visible mini and the rest random. It was a disaster. Tons of 1 or 2 kinds on the shelf (I think the plant and the unicorn).

Koloth

First Post
The walls would have been more attractive if they had included Stone and Force and cut the numbers of each to 3. It is a rare situation that would require 6 of one kind.

For those that don't like the blind buy method, wait for them to show up on the secondary markets and buy there. I have hordes of the older D&D Miniatures that I picked up for 10 cents each because they were unwanted commons.

Even got a few of the large red T-rex things for $3 each. They work just fine as giant lizards, smaller dragons or even red T-rex things.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases