Words are hard!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Absolutely - when I was learning Spanish it was the same way. And I suspect many languages are like that. But English has a serious legacy issue here. Many words are spelled the way they are because of how someone decided they "should" be spelled centuries ago. But even if said spelling was accurate back then, pronunciation has changed and we've failed to update the spelling. I believe "knight" made some sense phonetically, when that spelling was settled upon. No longer.

Ki-nig-it.
/Python

Starman

Adventurer
One of my favorites from a game I was in a couple of years ago was 'forecastle.' We were having a little naval adventure and one of the players said he was going to go stand on the forecastle and pronounced it exactly as it looks. Another of the players happened to be ex-Navy and gave him tons of grief for it. "It's fohk-suhl!" Another brilliant English word that you could never figure out the pronunciation for if you didn't know it somehow.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Oy vey, nautical terms. That's not much better in German where sailor jargon tends to be a mix of English and German and a bunch of words which are neither here nor there. ;)

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
Well crap. At what point is it acceptable to just decide I'm going to continue pronouncing something wrong.

As a teenager I stumbled across these cool fantasy books about a dark elf who wielded swords called "SKIM-it-ars". For a while I bullheadedly kept pronouncing it that way because I thought it sounded better than "SIM-it-ar".

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases