• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

World Cup Hockey!!!

Teflon Billy

Explorer
jonesy said:
"Sabotage
Team Finland harassed in their hotel during the night."

A quote from the Finnish tabloid Iltalehti (literally the 'evening paper'). Apparently some pranksters set of fire alarms several times during the night.

Anyway, Iltalehti is well known for its habit of exaggerating news topics and Jokinen said he got a good 11 hours of sleep so I don't think it really affected anyone on the team. Just a weird little happenstance.

Man, that was crap behaviour by Canadian fans if true :(

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Darth Shoju said:
According to the paper this morning Brodeur is a go for goal. This is going to be a great game.

:D

Sweet...though after seeing Luongo do his thing I feel a lot better about Canada's depth in goal. If we lose Brodeur, Luongo steps in. If by some fluke something happens to Luongo, Jose Theodore(!) steps in...

We're fine:)

devilbat

First Post
Man, that was crap behaviour by Canadian fans if true

Sure was. But then again, if it helps Canada win;

FIRE! FIRE!

Sweet...though after seeing Luongo do his thing I feel a lot better about Canada's depth in goal. If we lose Brodeur, Luongo steps in. If by some fluke something happens to Luongo, Jose Theodore(!) steps in...

We're fine

The future's looking pretty good with Marc Andre Fleury coming up as well.

Paragon

Wielder of the Power Cosmic
i don't know if canada's netminding was ever in doubt. i mean you have brodeur, luango (real deal), theodore (i'm not sure he's the real deal but i don't get to see him that much) and if turco can ever put it together in the post season (which i think he will given pulling his head out of his rectum) thats 4 world class goalies right there under the age of 32. holy cr@p.
i also think with a little more experience the usa goalie situation looks good, conklin, esche and dipeitro, but man are they young. yeesh.

how long till puck drop?

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Paragon said:
i don't know if canada's netminding was ever in doubt. i mean you have brodeur, luango (real deal), theodore (i'm not sure he's the real deal but i don't get to see him that much) and if turco can ever put it together in the post season (which i think he will given pulling his head out of his rectum) thats 4 world class goalies right there under the age of 32. holy cr@p.

Yeah, but like Devilbat, I'd be more likley to put Fleury in the #4 slot over Turco.

Paragon said:
also think with a little more experience the usa goalie situation looks good, conklin, esche and dipeitro, but man are they young. yeesh.

The American national team needs to start building around Esche. Like Kiprusoff, he has been fantastic in the post-season and this World Cup run.

Team USA had some question marks going into the tourney, but I think you can safely say that Esche has removed a big one.

Paragon said:
how long till puck drop?

45 mins to pre-game by my watch:)

Paragon

Wielder of the Power Cosmic
about turco:

granted, it could be homerism but i've watched him play game in game out and the man is a gamer, thats part of his problem he lets his temper get him in trouble, but i do love watching my goalie come screaming out of the crease and body checking someone. so the good with the bad.
he does hold the NCAA record for goalie wins and save % and has 2 national champ titles.

BUT

until he does it in the post season that doesn't mean much, look at kiprusoff, had a great regular season, didn't mean much until he lead the flames to game 7 of the finals. post season, all about the post season
turco is in danger of becoming a great regular season goalie but.......

Teflon Billy

Explorer
WOO HOO!

Canadian%20Flag.JPG

and I guess that's it for Hockey for the forseeable future... :(

Darth Shoju

First Post
WOOOOOOO!!

I've got new respect for Thornton, Draper and Doan. Those guys played great hockey tonight. And Mario had a great defensive game too. Unfortuneately, like Tef said, that's hockey for a while. At least we still have the Wheat Kings to follow, and the Moose.

Last edited:

AIM-54

First Post
So, congrats to Canada! Looked like a pretty close game, but I couldn't tell, having missed most of it because of class. Anyone got some thoughts for a poor hockey-less grad student? :lol:

Fortunately, I have 17 days before the puck drops on the 2004-05 NCAA hockey season and I have to say, I am excited.

BU's got a new goalie from Moose Jaw AND Ray Bourque's son! How can one not be excited?! :D

Anyway, back on track, congrats again to Canada! They seemed to play well for the whole tournament and certainly deserve this one.

MulhorandSage

First Post
Not the greatest game, but victory is pretty damn sweet. This was one of the best all-star-squads working together as a team that I've ever seen.

Ruutu's goal was very nice. Congrats to the Finns for a good showing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads