• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

World Cup Hockey!!!

Paragon

Wielder of the Power Cosmic
ok, first of congrats to the canadians and finns (go finns)
second on bertuzzi, i was really interested to hear your opinion billy as a lifelong canuck fan as i understand, but i must say i can't understand it at all.

sure moore is a punk, his hit on naslund was borderline at best and he deserved to have someone ring his bell (i still say skating with your head up is always a good idea markus, ask lindros) but what bertuzzi did was the most gutless act i have ever witnessed since the tomahawk chop from mcsorley. he didn't just punch him from behind, he rode him face first into the ice, thats how his neck got broke, you can tell by the way his body went limp after he was punched in the head he was out at the first shot, but it was the draggin him down (chin first) under the weight of 235 lbs of goon that fractured his vertibrae.
but i guess it's ok since it's a candian superstar bertuzzi and moores just a checking line american.
i had to watch that hit 3 times the first time i saw it, i just couldn't believe my eyes. that is absolutely the worst of hockey, i love fighting and hitting and hard checking, bring it on. but that was a gutless display of idiocy. period.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Iuz said:
I haven't heard, is this even a possibility?

Broedeur says he will try and be ready for the game...but I figure if his injury made him stay out against the Czechs, it must be pretty serious.

Still, hope spring eternal:)

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Paragon said:
ok, first of congrats to the canadians and finns (go finns)...

man..that is going to be a game for the ages :)

Paragon said:
second on bertuzzi, i was really interested to hear your opinion billy as a lifelong canuck fan as i understand, but i must say i can't understand it at all

Well, I thought my post explained it pretty well, but I will adress your points and see if I can clear up mine...

Paragon said:
sure moore is a punk, his hit on naslund was borderline at best and he deserved to have someone ring his bell

We agree. Apparently Moore felt the guy to do it was Matt Cooke-- Vancouver's smallest player--as he declined to go with Jovanovski, May or Ohlund. Bertuzzi had other feelings on the matter.

Paragon said:
(i still say skating with your head up is always a good idea markus, ask lindros)

yeah, that's fair comment.

Paragon said:
but what bertuzzi did was the most gutless act i have ever witnessed since the tomahawk chop from mcsorley. he didn't just punch him from behind, he rode him face first into the ice, thats how his neck got broke

You're close. He punched him from behind while holding his sweater. The punch knocked moore out and Bertuzzi fell with him.

I'm guessing that you've only seen the replay in slo-mo. It's a very different scene when viewed in real time.

When Tiger Williams was brought up by the league for disciplinary action in the 80's, his lawyer insisted that the footage be show to the jury in realtime rather than slo-mo because slowed footage allows the human mind to inject all manner of "Intent" and "Glaring" and suchlike into what is, in reality, a momentary action.

I suspect Moore's neck was broken when the dogpile happened, but we will just have to agree to disagree here, as neither of us are doctors:)

Paragon said:
you can tell by the way his body went limp after he was punched in the head he was out at the first shot...

Sure was

Paragon said:
..but it was the draggin him down (chin first) under the weight of 235 lbs of goon that fractured his vertibrae.

Maybe/Maybe not.

Paragon said:
but i guess it's ok since it's a candian superstar bertuzzi and moores just a checking line american.

Heh, cute. Don't go trotting out "Straw Man" arguments on me, it makes you look both whiny and foolish :]

I want you to go back and cut and paste where I have claimed to dislike any player becasue of their nationality.

There are dirty punks league-wide man, and Moore is amongst them...but so is Darius Kasparitis (Russia), So is Jarko Ruutu (Finland), so is Bryan Marchment (Canada).

I have alot of repect for certain American players: Tony Amonte and Keith Tkachuk being chief amongst them.

I don't have disregard for American 4th liners Paragon, I have disregard for whiny bitches who can dish it out, but can't take it.

Paragon said:
that is absolutely the worst of hockey, i love fighting and hitting and hard checking, bring it on. but that was a gutless display of idiocy. period.

I felt the exact same way, except that I was thinking of a punk-ass cheap shot artist who spent the night declining to go with the teamamtes a guy whom he cheap shotted while they were making a run for the playoffs.

That he thought he would get off by punking out a little guy is even worse.

The worst of hockey and a gutless display of idiocy. Indeed, period.

Last edited:

Darth Shoju

First Post
Teflon Billy said:
I have alot of repect for certain American players: Tony Amonte and Keith Tkachuk being chief amongst them.
I'd personally add Mike Modanno to that list (although I'm not too sure about Tkachuk, even though he is a former Jet ;) )

Teflon Billy said:
I don't have disregard for American 4th liners Paragon, I have disregard for whiny bitches who can dish it out, but can't take it. ....
[snip]
....That he thought he would get off by punking out a little guy is even worse.

The worst of hockey and a gutless display of idiocy. Indeed, period.
Here here.

Last edited:

Darth Shoju

First Post
Teflon Billy said:
Broedeur says he will try and be ready for the game...but I figure if his injury made him stay out against the Czechs, it must be pretty serious.

Still, hope spring eternal:)
According to the paper this morning Brodeur is a go for goal. This is going to be a great game.

:D

Paragon

Wielder of the Power Cosmic
ok billy i can see your points. and the shot about the canadian/american players was more of a shotgun reaction to all the whining from canadians i have seen on the subject more so than directed at you, i should have clarified.

and for my money mike modano is the greatest american hockey player to ever strap on a pair of skates. but i'm kinda spoiled i get to see him play all the time:)

can't wait until tonight!!

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
"Sabotage
Team Finland harassed in their hotel during the night."

A quote from the Finnish tabloid Iltalehti (literally the 'evening paper'). Apparently some pranksters set of fire alarms several times during the night.

Anyway, Iltalehti is well known for its habit of exaggerating news topics and Jokinen said he got a good 11 hours of sleep so I don't think it really affected anyone on the team. Just a weird little happenstance.

devilbat

First Post
Teflon Billy, I like the cut of your jip, but:

Ugh! I guess only we Winnipeggers know what this guy is all about. His actions off the ice her in the Peg were brutal. especially if you were ever in the same bar as him. Even worse if you girlfriend was hot.

Mine was, and I didn't like the idea of having to drop the proverbial gloves with him.

I can acknowledge his talent on the ice, but his attitude sucks.

Maximum amount of my respect goes out to Mike Richter, Mike Modano, Brian Leetch, Chris Chelios (Even though it drives me crazy to watch him), Joe Mullen, and every member of the 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
devilbat said:
...Ugh! I guess only we Winnipeggers know what this guy is all about. His actions off the ice her in the Peg were brutal. especially if you were ever in the same bar as him. Even worse if you girlfriend was hot...
you're right. I don't know a thing about he guy other than that before Toddd Bertuzzi, he was considered the league's premiere power-forward.

If he's that big a jerk, consider him removed.

Devilbat said:
Maximum amount of my respect goes out to Mike Richter, Mike Modano, Brian Leetch, Chris Chelios (Even though it drives me crazy to watch him), Joe Mullen, and every member of the 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team.

How did I forget Leech?! :eek:

That's pathetic. Ok, remove Tkachuk, add Leech.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads